Are you Type II and controlling BG with Metformin and diet?

How long have you controlled your BG by following a low carb diet?

• 1 - 2 years

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 3 - 5 years

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 6 - 10 years

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 10 years plus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just halved my metformin my Hba1c is down to 43 it was over. 15 when diagnosed in 2009
CAROL

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Douglas99.

What did you use instead of optifast on Newcastle diet?

Kind regards

Conor

Tesco Ultraslim, with skimmed milk.
Dry fried stir fry for the veg, or salad for the evening meal.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the reply, it's good to hear.

I have been of reduced calories for longer than I can remember and I'm no stranger to my local gym/pool, although even at my most intense exercise regime (5 X 1km swim, 3 X 1hr gym, 1 hour personal trainer, ! hour swimming lesson and a round of golf every week), it made absolutely no difference at all except for my whole body just aching continuously).

Your last sentence sums it up, we're all so very different. I will find the answer to my particular conundrum . . . . . eventually.

I never watched what I ate before.
I always ate and drank without any great issue
I was fairly active, but like many moved into a desk job, and become too busy to really pursue sports anymore.
Hotels, expense account, evenings where the only thing to do was eat, and I gained weight.
Diabetes was a wake up call, so I changed my lifestyle.
Calorie restriction and exercise.
Which I still do to keep on top of my weight.
Fortunately I do have a metabolism that seems to work 'normally' in the sense it needs energy in to carry on, if I don't eat as much as I need, I do lose weight.
Obviously there are peaks and troughs, but I have no doubt if I don't eat, eventually I will die, but I will be very thin first!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think that in T2's insulin resistance is the cause of pancreatic over load and when our pancreas is overworked it causes damage so even after reducing insulin resistance our mileage may vary depending on how long we had insulin resistance for, how high it was and and how much damage it caused.

Which is why I think it is so important for the newly diagnosed to lose weight as that is the only sure way they can reduce their insulin resistance and the sooner it is reduced the less damage will be done to their pancreas.

It is also the reason Prof Taylor states the Newcastle Study Diet will work best for the newly diagnosed up to 3 years diagnosed as once the pancreas is damaged it can be permanent. You may disagree with me but that is my understanding.

I think thats why we really are all different, some will have more or less insulin resistance than others and some will have sustained more or less damage to their pancreas.

And for that reason given the same diet some of us will need more medication than others and the balance between carbs and meds is up to the individual to decide on.

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sid Bonkers Losing weight at diagnosis is ok for anyone who is over weight but would have been impossible for me or I would have disappeared altogether !! I now have a Hba1c of 43 from over 15 (in old money ) This is with LCHF and metformin which my GP has just lowered
CAROL

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Sid Bonkers Losing weight at diagnosis is ok for anyone who is over weight but would have been impossible for me or I would have disappeared altogether !! I now have a Hba1c of 43 from over 15 (in old money ) This is with LCHF and metformin which my GP has just lowered
CAROL

Like many type 2 diabetes I was obese, so that wasn't an issue.
Having said that, is it possible to have visceral fat, so even some 'thin' diabetes may allegedly benefit.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the BMI of someone the same age as I am in Bangladesh I do not want to lose any more weight!
CAROL

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit of a misleading poll. Why does diet have to be low carb?