aripiprazole and dawn phenomenon

P

paltry

Hi all. I eat a LCHF diet, have done for years, and originally lost a lot of weight and was in remission. Unfortunately I needed to start aripiprazole since which I have given into carbs and gained 3 stones. My bg is between 8.5 and 11 until early afternoon, whether I have a low carb breakfast or starve and despite an hour of brisk dog walking. I can't come off the aripirazole and I already take as much metformin as I can tolerate. Any ideas what I can do?

P

paltry

PS This is despite having returned to LCHF and stopped eating the carbs again.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are doing LCHF but not using keto, you may find lowering fat intake may help with weight loss. You only really need the extra fat for keto or fasting.

That 3 kg you mention could be significant too. I have just gone into remission by losing this order of weight, and I suspect that if I put it on again, the T2D will return.

Last edited:
P

paltry

Yes I know the 3 stone won't be helping! (I wish it HAD been 3 kg ;) ) I know I should slide back into keto again. I couldn't face the 'flu again at present. Tbh I'm not eating much of anything but still struggling to get good low bgs, but aripiprazole is known to raise them. I guess, unless anyone has any tips, I might end up on gliclazide or something :(

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I know the 3 stone won't be helping! (I wish it HAD been 3 kg ;) ) I know I should slide back into keto again. I couldn't face the 'flu again at present. Tbh I'm not eating much of anything but still struggling to get good low bgs, but aripiprazole is known to raise them. I guess, unless anyone has any tips, I might end up on gliclazide or something :(
I have been using Glic for several years myself, and found it to be effective and relatively gentle. My status was changed to In Remission recently and I have stopped Glic. There was a question mark on whether Glic triggered my recent heart attacks, but that is more due to being a heavy smoker most of my life. There was also a possibility that Glic is contraindicated for heart failure, but my consultant, 2 other doctorsamd I, all searched and found Glic may actually be preventative for CVE, and so I can go back onto it if I need to.
At present I am on hospital food, which is not exactly low carb, but I expect that when I get home again I will be able to keep tight control by diet again.

Yazzyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi paltry I too take aripriprazole 10mg per day as a mood stabiliser for cyclothymia. prior to this I was quetiapine. this group of drugs is well documented on the internet for messing with diabetes infact it was the quetiapine that tipped my body over the edge to type 2 diabetes. it is a battle but aripriprazole is at the bottom of the ranking list for interaction with diabetes I had to change my diet completely to loose weight I now have porridge first thing in the morning and then graze all day on fruit and a balanced meal in the evening and plenty of fluids throughout the day. at my last diabetes appointment I had lost 6kg. I don't know how long you have been on "prip" but it takes some time to get used to it and settle down..

P

paltry

Thanks for all. I'm now starting empagliflozin and it is doing wonders! Hopefully it'll help me lose some weight too :)