Arm hurting under FreeStyle Libre sensor

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
For the past 14 hours I have felt a slight pinching feeling under my sensor if I move my arm in a certain manner. This is my third sensor and have never had this problem before. It expires in 5 days so ideally don't want to take it off before then, but am thinking of doing so if this continues as it is quite uncomfortable.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?
It also hurts if I push on the sensor, so it almost feels like the wire thing has come out of place.
Any suggestions for what to do?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the same issue with my dexcom sensor before and I understand it's similar to the libre.

The sensor wire may have gotten bent and it may be poking your muscle which is the pinching sensation you're feeling. That's what happened to me in the past and why I now stick to keeping my sensor on my stomach where I have more fat.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah ok, that would explain why it only happens when I move my arm in a certain manner. Worth sticking with it till the end or think I should just remove it now?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah ok, that would explain why it only happens when I move my arm in a certain manner. Worth sticking with it till the end or think I should just remove it now?

Only you can decide if you can tolerate the discomfort. Are the readings consistent with the earlier days of the sensor? No real changes, aside from what you would expect to see with your own style of diabetes?

I can't say I've had this myself, although a couple of times it has taken a day or so for the sensor to settle, post-insertion.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had this twice. First time the pain subsided after around 3 or 4 hours. Second time it hurt so much I had to take it off after a couple of hours.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
My arm fe;t like this on the last sensor. when I took it off my skin was quite red, as if it was a reaction to the sticky patch. It took a couple of weeks to recover.

Browndoff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Allergy to the adhesive is a real possibility. I would always have told my doctors I had no allergy to anything - even after 45 years of Type-1 diabetes. Recently, though, I was tested for the HbA1C [beautifully done, no discomfort!] and the sticky-tape used afterwards to cover the pin-prick brought me out in a roaring-red rash! Fortunately for me, it wasn't sore and went away in a couple of days.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In the end, I think if it was bent or something it straightened out! I pressed on the sensor a few times whilst it was still uncomfortable and it went back to the original unpainful place :)

Reactions: SimonP78

Buxtonstill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not a wire, but a very flexible fibre. What may have happened is that some tiny hairs have grown on your arm a millimetre or so long. (We all have them, growing from our 'goosebumps'!) and even if they are remotely attached to the adhesive they would pinch dreadfully.

breezyjade

I had that pinching painful feeling also, but I could not get any readings. Finally took it it off after 4 days and metal sensor/wire was bent so low that I'm not sure if it was even in my skin. Is there anyway to unbend the wire & re-apply? These things cost a fortune & my latest one just came off in the shower on it's 5th day!

Po girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
For the past 14 hours I have felt a slight pinching feeling under my sensor if I move my arm in a certain manner. This is my third sensor and have never had this problem before. It expires in 5 days so ideally don't want to take it off before then, but am thinking of doing so if this continues as it is quite uncomfortable.

It also hurts if I push on the sensor, so it almost feels like the wire thing has come out of place.

Hi,
Sorry to jump in on your issue but mine is a little similar and I'm looking for an answer too if anyone can help?
I've only had my Libre since yesterday and diabetes nurse placed it on inside of my arm. My problem is two corners of the adhesive tape are causing my skin to go a bit red and sore and the sensor hurts when I press on it gently?
Is this normal or should I just take out and put a new one in the back of my arm where it may be less sensitive?
I don't want to give up on it as I've had diabetes for 45 yrs and loosing hypo symptoms and it's brill for close monitoring often.
Where do you get skin tac adhesive wipes as I recon I may need them?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Po girl this is a fairly old thread so you may not get a lot of answers to your question.

But not withstanding that you can obtain skin tac adhesive wipes at Amazon and also I think on Ebay though they are fairly expensive to buy the ones I have seen on Ebay are somewhat cheaper than Amazon.

Reactions: Po girl

Lisa69free

I am experiencing this now. 5 days left and last night felt like a tingling sensation plus what could only be explained as an electric shock. Sensor area very tender. Managed to cope and sleep. I've been doing some housework and just felt it again. I'm going to try and cope as it's still reading.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am experiencing this now. 5 days left and last night felt like a tingling sensation plus what could only be explained as an electric shock. Sensor area very tender. Managed to cope and sleep. I've been doing some housework and just felt it again. I'm going to try and cope as it's still reading.

Hi Lisa, I've had that a few times now, mostly the sensor has stayed on till virtually the last day but having just had this happen last week, when I took it off I noticed the small round circle where the filament bit would go was raised (like the outer edge) and the skin had a pinched look to it. It wasn't painful but it was red and sore and slightly uncomfortable when I moved my arm too much. I sometimes think I must nudge it when sleeping or something.

Lisa69free

Hi Lisa, I've had that a few times now, mostly the sensor has stayed on till virtually the last day but having just had this happen last week, when I took it off I noticed the small round circle where the filament bit would go was raised (like the outer edge) and the skin had a pinched look to it. It wasn't painful but it was red and sore and slightly uncomfortable when I moved my arm too much. I sometimes think I must nudge it when sleeping or something.

It's happened 3 times since yesterday and wore off again. A bit like having a splinter, hurts when moving yes. I'll stick it out. Only got to hold on till Friday night. Just annoying as we don't like to waste them and I don't fancy the trouble contacting Abbott

SnapDani329

Hi all!

Hello,
I’m experiencing a similar thing now and wondering what you’ve decided to do. I think I inserted at an angle and too slowly this past time- I had blood come out of the vent. When my arm is still I typically feel nothing, but with any movement and especially rotation I can feel the needle in my arm and it hurts. My arms are definitely not skinny- I’m a power lifter and I was consistently made fun of in highschool for my “man arms”- I am a lady . But yea, I’m a little nervous. The readings are ok- typically about 15-20 higher than my finger sticks read. Any advice would be helpful.

Scottmtneer66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is a full pain deep in my arm. Took the sensor out after one day but five days later, I still have the pain. So much it’s waking me up. Going to the ER tomorrow to make sure nothing broke or tore loose and is inside my arm

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
sounds as though the sensor not always a good thing am still wait for mine but am a little apprehensive about it now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is a full pain deep in my arm. Took the sensor out after one day but five days later, I still have the pain. So much it’s waking me up. Going to the ER tomorrow to make sure nothing broke or tore loose and is inside my arm
Hi did you have anything left in your arm after being to the ER? my hubby has a very uncomfortable pain the last week nearly, also Has a swollen lump where his sensor was.

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried putting my Libre sensor on the side of my arm once and had similar sensations when I moved my arm in a certain way which was very often in work, like others have suggested I think the wire was moving with my muscles. Now the sensor always goes on the back of my arm.
Interestingly I've had phantom irritation on the arm the sensor was on several days after the senso was removed and the area cleaned up, I've never had it when the sensor was in place.