Art Therapy and Diabetes Management?

NadineRoseM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone c:

Apologies if this is not the correct thread! I am currently gathering some information to write my dissertation about the connection between chronic conditions and how they have been impacted by the person undertaking an art therapy course.

As an artist and a person with diabetes, my opinion is too biased - what would be fantastic is to hear your experiences, if you have had an opportunity to explore this form of alternative treatment. It would be informative to know how A.T has impacted your diabetes management, and whether or not you felt that you had achieved tighter glucose control, or that your mental health regarding diabetes has been healthier as a result. (And of course, everything else related to your experience!)

If anyone has been through any courses, and would be kind and willing to share their experience with me, I would really appreciate it! I hope that my investigation may help other people with chronic illness manage their conditions, so your contribution towards that research would really be beneficial to the community (both diabetes and wider spoonie community)!

Thank you so much.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Art therapy helping with tighter glucose control? Spoonie community? Yes, you may be on the wrong thread. I am not certain which one is the right thread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In case anyone is wondering what a spoonie is, this is the Urban Dictionary definition:
A person living with chronic illness, that identifies with Christine Miserandino's Spoon Theory.
Spoonies are people that live with chronic illness; theoretically measuring personal daily abilities much as one would measure the proper amount of spoons needed for an event or occasion... sometimes having an abundance, other times coming up short.
#the spoon theory #christine miserandino #but you don't look sick #bylds #www.butyoudontlooksick.com

Sorry, I can't comment or contribute on the subject of Art Therapy, but I will say that despite hanging out on this forum for a fair chunk of my time, I would actively resist being considered 'part of the spoonie community'.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Brunneria I don't relate to "spoonie" either. I can't recall reading of any members receiving art therapy for their diabetes either. Maybe they do and I've missed it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Art therapy helping with tighter glucose control?.

Yep, it's a thing - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23612534 - art therapy was associated with a drop in hba1c, conclusion art therapy can help improve glycaemic control in youth with t1d.

Im not overwhelmed with love for the spoon theory, but as a way of explaining what it is like to live with a chronic condition I can see it has its uses. While I wouldn't identify myself as a spoonie, if you manage with diet, I can see why it would be even more distant.

@NadineRoseM ive not had art therapy. I have a feeling that it would not be offered to an adult for glycaemic control purposes - but it might be offered to children/teenagers, it might be worth getting in touch with JDRF/diabetes uk to see if they are aware of anything?

Last edited: