Artificial 'Sugars'

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Team 2!

I've been trying to look for information on sugar replacements - in cold drinks, rather than cooking!

In the recent hot weather alongside water, I have had Pepsi Max and Diet Coke, and most recently Volvic flavoured water (other brands are available!) but am I right in thinking that artificial sugars such as Aspartame and Canderel are not good for people with diabetes?

It might seem a really silly and unimportant question, but I drink a lot and don't want to do any more damage!

Thanks for reading and sharing any info you have.

Sky

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can find a way to make the drinks palatable without artificial sweeteners, then that is good advice. Sweeteners like aspartame, and saccharin have been linked to causing problems in the past. Others like sorbitol, xylitol, erithritol can trigger insulin rushes, and can spike blood sugars. Others like Malitol, Maltodextrin and similar polysacharrides cause glucometers to misread. The ones that some use such as sucralose are better for baking and cooking, and are considered generally safe to use.

Stevia is a natural sweetener, but beware that the commercial form is often cut with other sweeteners to improve the bitter taste it has on its own. Dextrose or maltodextrin are sometimes used, which defeats the object.

Fructose is sometimes used since it is not metabolised in the same way as sugar, but it has been associated with exacerbating Type 2 and / or NAFLD, OK in natural fruit, but not as an additive.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also if you keep pets, be aware that some artificial sweeteners are extremely dangerous to dogs. I can't give information on other animals but I'm sure someone else can.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can find a way to make the drinks palatable without artificial sweeteners, then that is good advice. Sweeteners like aspartame, and saccharin have been linked to causing problems in the past. Others like sorbitol, xylitol, erithritol can trigger insulin rushes, and can spike blood sugars. Others like Malitol, Maltodextrin and similar polysacharrides cause glucometers to misread. The ones that some use such as sucralose are better for baking and cooking, and are considered generally safe to use.

Stevia is a natural sweetener, but beware that the commercial form is often cut with other sweeteners to improve the bitter taste it has on its own. Dextrose or maltodextrin are sometimes used, which defeats the object.

Fructose is sometimes used since it is not metabolised in the same way as sugar, but it has been associated with exacerbating Type 2 and / or NAFLD, OK in natural fruit, but not as an additive.

Hi, Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to add sweeteners to drinks, just that I didn't know how ok it was to drink the things I mentioned!
Thank you