Artificial sweetener doesn't effect bgs!

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I take studies like this with a grain of salt. It's a controversial subject with strong views on both sides.

If someone is struggling to manage their diabetes then a few instances of consuming artificial sweeteners in place of added sugar isn't likely to undo all their work, and it may stop them giving up, and bingeing on high sugar foods.

I cannot drink coffee without it and I never drink tea. I find most herbal teas, and hot water alone to be boring. I only have 1-2 instant coffees a day. It makes my life more bearable.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aspartame and stevia affect me. I havent tried any others. But then, I am a speshul snoflake : )))

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not so sure about that artificial sweeteners have been shown to increase insulin levels, as you may known Type 2 diabetes already have too much insulin. So they may not raise bg levels but they do promote weight gain and worsen diabetes

Funny, no one ever mentions the insulin response to artificial sweeteners or the new gen 'natural alternatives'.

Edited to add.

Few people mention the affects on gut biome either unless it is to mention loo habit changes which imo is a bit of a red flag.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Funny, no one ever mentions the insulin response to artificial sweeteners or the new gen 'natural alternatives'.

Edited to add.

Few people mention the affects on gut biome either unless it is to mention loo habit changes which imo is a bit of a red flag.
The gut biome is affected by increased use of added sugar or artificial sweeteners alike. But the old saying "the dose makes the poison" applies. Not everyone who uses small amounts of artificial sweetener have loose bowel motions.

Everyone is different. We don't hear from all the people who burn out from managing their diabetes, because they are usually too ashamed to post here. We tend to hear the most from people who have sustained the positive changes, which is great, because what you are all doing does work. But not everyone is able to manage it, because of factors that may be outside of our own experience.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The gut biome is affected by increased use of added sugar or artificial sweeteners alike. But the old saying "the dose makes the poison" applies. Not everyone who uses small amounts of artificial sweetener have loose bowel motions.

Everyone is different. We don't hear from all the people who burn out from managing their diabetes, because they are usually too ashamed to post here. We tend to hear the most from people who have sustained the positive changes, which is great, because what you are all doing does work. But not everyone is able to manage it, because of factors that may be outside of our own experience.

There is a sticky on the forum specifically for Burn Out. We regularly get new members and returnees who have had or are having burn out.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
There is a sticky on the forum specifically for Burn Out. We regularly get new members and returnees who have had or are having burn out.
Thanks, but that wasn't really my point. My first post in this thread gives a hint.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, but that wasn't really my point. My first post in this thread gives a hint.
you point appears to be that, given the minute quantity of artificial sweeteners used, its not really a major issue to bother about and possibly stress oneself out over?

if that what you mean by your point then I think i want to share that any sweeteners I have tried have spiked me for hours and hours. I may be unique, I may not be unique, but a long spike is not a good thing.

@Jenny15 I have added to my post since you agreed with it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Perhaps we are at crossed purposes. I mentioned the possible affects re gut biome within my comment and you replied with the topic of burn out within yours.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Perhaps we are at crossed purposes. I mentioned the possible affects re gut biome within my comment and you replied with the topic of burn out within yours.
Before I mentioned burnout I talked about the biome and whether artificial sweeteners are really all that bad in certain cases. I did that because there are is always disagreement on this forum about how far to go with managing diabetes. Some people are very rigid about it, while others are more relaxed.

My approach is to make sure the basics are done right, eg proper medical care and regular lab tests, with proper steps taken when needed, but apart from that, to try to be as low stress as possible.

I realize artificial sweeteners are not natural and they can cause serious health problems in high doses. But in small doses, I believe the benefits outweigh the risks for me personally. I support others taking this approach if they choose to, because it is less likely to contribute to burnout, which can be life threatening in some cases.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Before I mentioned burnout I talked about the biome and whether artificial sweeteners are really all that bad in certain cases. I did that because there are is always disagreement on this forum about how far to go with managing diabetes. Some people are very rigid about it, while others are more relaxed.

My approach is to make sure the basics are done right, eg proper medical care and regular lab tests, with proper steps taken when needed, but apart from that, to try to be as low stress as possible.

I realize artificial sweeteners are not natural and they can cause serious health problems in high doses. But in small doses, I believe the benefits outweigh the risks for me personally. I support others taking this approach if they choose to, because it is less likely to contribute to burnout, which can be life threatening in some cases.

I gave up sweetener years before I was diagnosed with T2. I have a relaxed attitude toward food specifically because I have made informed choices. There is so little data on artificial sweeteners that an informed choice is imo not possible therefore I err on the side of caution and abstain.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I gave up sweetener years before I was diagnosed with T2. I have a relaxed attitude toward food specifically because I have made informed choices. There is so little data on artificial sweeteners that an informed choice is imo not possible therefore I err on the side of caution and abstain.
Like I said each to their own, and it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I was talking more about the big picture of the debates in this forum generally, but no worries. Happy to leave it at that.

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think artificial sweeteners may be a "gateway" to adding back more sweet things to your diet. From my reading, it does seem to be the case that sweet tasting things make you want more sweet tasting things (in my case, intensely craving lollies). Also, I have found, unfortunately, that most of them (stevia, sucrolose, malitol, erythritol tested in my own recipes so far) all drive up my BG and like Lucylocket61, the effect is quite long lasting. (I've tested each in home made baked egg custard where the only other ingredients are eggs, cream and vanilla essence). I'm finding my BG also reacts to a lot of non-whole food, like frankfurt sausages, cabanossi, strasburg *sob*)

Last edited:

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the guy who conducted the review:

The glycemic impact of NNS* consumption did not differ by type of NNS but to some extent varied by participants’ age, body weight, and diabetic status.

Link to the actual review

*NNS: Non nutritive sweetener

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I should have added that i seem to be the person who only has to think about cake and i put on weight and my blood sugars go up : )

Maybe my imagination is too powerful lol
Physio told me the mind plays a huge part in pain response and positivity to get better. So I too may will a naughty to add weight. Insulin and carbs definitely add weight but insulin and low carb just ticks me along. I honestly believe 9x out of 10 that I'll never lose decent weight.
Even thou I've lost in 2017.
I convince myself I don't lose weight. I'm so silly, sometimes.
The mind is a very powerful organ.
Sweeteners try and con the brain into thinking sugar but meter (sometimes) says otherwise. I spike on stevia, too much of it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think artificial sweeteners may be a "gateway" to adding back more sweet things to your diet. From my reading, it does seem to be the case that sweet tasting things make you want more sweet tasting things (in my case, intensely craving lollies). Also, I have found, unfortunately, that most of them (stevia, sucrolose, malitol, erythritol tested in my own recipes so far) all drive up my BG and like Guzzler, the effect is quite long lasting. (I've tested each in home made baked egg custard where the only other ingredients are eggs, cream and vanilla essence). I'm finding my BG also reacts to a lot of non-whole food, like frankfurt sausages, cabanossi, strasburg *sob*)
I think if we can go unsweetened food it trains our body to do without.
Mind u I still prefer bitter coffee a bit sweetener.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Physio told me the mind plays a huge part in pain response and positivity to get better.

This might be slightly off topic but certainly related to the mind and it's effect on what the body does. I've have reflexology for many years and I personally have benefited. My reflexologist also did something called kinesiology, the scientific study of human or body movement. Kinesiology addresses physiological, biomechanical, and psychological dynamic principles and mechanisms of movement. If you thought reflexology was weird, kenisiology beats it hands down.

I had to hold my arm out while being asked different questions about me, things like "Do I have an emotional component that is preventing me from losing weight", She would then try and push my arm down, sometimes it would move and sometimes it wouldn't. These would imply a "yes" or "no" response, I did say it was weird. I've also seen this done with the person standing and swaying back or forward depending on a yes or no response. I did try cheating and holding my arm out as straight as possible and not allowing movement. I couldn't and that was really weird.

At the end of the session we worked out a "mantra" that I was to say to myself several times a day and the one we chose was "It's OK to have a happy, healthy metabolism". I was very skeptical but kept it up for a month and I did lose 5kg. I'm not saying one way or another whether this works or doesn't work. At the time my head was in a weird place and I would have done anything to lose weight, however hair brain. I'm not in the same place now but feel I should try it again.

It seems to be taken much more seriously in Canada where you can do degree courses and it's used predominantly in the sports field. It's interesting and I do believe our minds can do much more than we give it credit for.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
True, but you'd never have met me in here when I was off the rails. I stuck my head in the sand and didn't even test my BGs, let alone read about or do any searches for T2. I completely ignored it and I suspect there are lots of people like me out there.

Reactions: Dodo