ASCEND - study

JER

I am quite new to this forum but I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any coverage of ASCEND. I realise however that it may have been a topic in the past.
For anyone who isn't familiar with it, ASCEND is a study that the Universty of Oxford are doing into the effect of Aspirin and Omega-3 fatty acids on Diabetics. They want to recruit 10,000 Diabetics (T1 or T2) that don't suffer from vascular disease. If you join you will be require to commit to the trial for 5 years.
So the purpose of this is to say I think it is a worthwhile thing to do if you can, we could all benefit from this in the long term. I have been on the study for about 14 months now.
It is easy to sign up but as I remember you need to get the OK from your GP.
You can read more about it and sign up via the following. http://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/ascend/
Please think about it. I know that the ASCEND team would be really pleased to get more recruits.
Cheers
JER

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Personally if I took 100mg of Aspirin daily I would end up with a bleeding ulcer within a week,but that is just me.so sorry ,no,I will not be applying.

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
Personally if I took 100mg of Aspirin daily I would end up with a bleeding ulcer within a week,but that is just me.so sorry ,no,I will not be applying.

It gives me tinnitus. This has recently started happening with ibuprofen as well and even the ointment was giving me a whistle

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd take part if they would definatly put me in the placebo group not the aspirin group but I'm sure they don't let people choose for understandable reasons! I just prefer to avoid painkillers.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Trinkwasser said:
sugarless sue said:

It gives me tinnitus. This has recently started happening with ibuprofen as well and even the ointment was giving me a whistle

I don't think you're supposed to put it in your ears ,Trink!! :mrgreen:

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
Trinkwasser said:
sugarless sue said:

I don't think you're supposed to put it in your ears ,Trink!! :mrgreen:

<G> that was the problem, I was only applying it to my shoulder, where I've used it before without any sound effects

I'm now a bit leery of all NSAIDS. Previously I'd only had problems with a combination of Seroxat and coffee, that wore off when I stopped taking it. The aspirin thing was relatively recent, the ibuprofen thing even more recent and the ointment thing more recent still. Could be worse though, I know someone who had a major onset of irreversible tinnitus from the first dose of something I can't remember now, I think a COX inhibitor