Aspie meltdown DURING laser surgery!

Marrocco

Gods, but sometimes I do feel trapped. A few weeks ago I needed yet more panretinal coagulation treatment for the proliferative retinopathy- this makes the fifth session so far in 3 years, and was the first lot for my left eye- and, during the treatment, I ahd a full- blown meltdown.

For those of you who don't know about Aspergers syndrome, this means that I simply could not function at all for a time, was crying, laughing, jerking-all the things you just can't do if they are treating the eyes with a laser. Horrible, distressing for all concerned including me, and utterly unexpected as even I don't know always when my meltdowns are coming on.

Sorry all, just needed to share I think. Also, if anyone DOES know of anything which might help- I would be truly grateful...

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm an Aspie too and I have to be sedated before invasive treatments as I go into meltdown too although rocking back and forth is my biggest problem when I'm nervous.

Unbeliever

I have a great deal of experience wih laser treatment. Intensive laser is almost a psychedelic experience and I have often thought
it could have an unwanted impact on several groups .
On occasion it has affected me so badly afterwards i have become disorientated to the extent I have been forced to go araight to bed on reaching home ad to stay there until the next day.

Were you given any advice? Do you think a sedative might help? In extreme cases it is possible to have it under general anaesthetic.
As you say it can be dangerous if you move at the wrong time during laser treatment.

At the very least I would speak to whoever is administering the treatment and arrange for it to be halted if you feel yourself becoming uncomfortable. I have dome this. At one time I suffered from unexplained and unpredictable hypos. My chin would start to wobble without my knowledge as a symptom. Of course as the chin is on the chinreast this could be very dangerous at the wrong moment.

Just make sure your concerns are known and understood. Its up to them to find soluions. If they don't then refuse to go ahead until you have spoken to someone in authority. Its not just something you have to undergo. It must be talllored to the individual or there is no point.
They must have encountered similar problems in the past.. if you are anxious about it contact PALS at your hospital with your concerns.before your next visit.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have an extreme phobia about my eyes. I was referred to a consultant for an examination once, which should have involved actually him placing a glass magnifier against my eye for him to view it.
Needless to say it never happened, but he did state that if he needed to he would have arranged to have me anesthetized if he couldn't manage to get a good view in my eye without touching it.
They'll never get near my eyes if I'm awake, so you're not alone here.

Unbeliever

Lots of people have a phobia about ther eyes. I myself hate having my eyes tested which in my situatio is not good.
if you ever have to have a lens against your eye it is usual to anaesthesise the eye with drops first so you dont feel anything.

Marrocco

Just an update, friends: I managed the extra session OK- with a nurse in the corner keeping an eye on me!- and have finally managed to hold it together long enough to get booked for counselling regarding my more emotional problems.

In future, I'm making sure the surgeon ALWAYS knows my Aspie nature, and my medical phobias- I can cope, but i've found I need certain ground rules: everything kept businesslike (no gentle reassurances -I know it sounds odd!, no side chat, no touching my face AT ALL), the whole affair as quiet as possible, and ideally all done first thing so I can't worry all day.

I know it akes me an awkward swine- but at my age I also know I'm unlikely to change much. Hopefully the counselling will help, though...

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best of luck with the counselling. Doctors see so many patients for eye treatment that they are aware that people's reactions are many and varied and they know to make allowances for this so you are not awkward you are individual. Great idea having ground rules. Everyone can be on the same page which should also help you relax a little. Congrats on being so brave and pro active.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Unbeliever said:
Lots of people have a phobia about ther eyes. I myself hate having my eyes tested which in my situatio is not good.
if you ever have to have a lens against your eye it is usual to anaesthesise the eye with drops first so you dont feel anything.

No, I actually do have a phobia. The anaesthetic in my eye didn't stop me seeing him, and that's as far as he got.

Unbeliever

I did mean a phobia not squeamishness. I just mentioned the anaesthetic so that others reading would know it wasn't painful.

If you have a phobis -naturally reassurances of any kind won't help. You would just have to have sedation.