Aspirin - Old hat for most but new to me

J

JohnFT

Hi

Having read the current Diabetes.co.uk weekly feature on Aspirin and searched the forum I'm inclined to start taking a daily dose of aspirin. I realise it can become a hot topic of debate but I just wanted to sense check this with anyone interested. I was diagnosed with Type 2 five years ago and put on the usual array of drugs (Metformin, Statins and Blood Pressure pills). I've recently reduced my Metformin intake and through diet control I am achieving good sugar control (nothing above 5.5 in the past two/three weeks).

Anyhow, to the point. I was looking over my GPs shoulder at my on screen details and saw at the top of my details that they have me down as a "high risk of coronary disease" patient. I have a family history of heart disease so I kind of tend to agree. Ultimately I'll discuss taking apsirin with my GP but just wanted to gather some other thoughts on the subject. I'm 46 and, as mentioned, controlling my diet and slowly increasing exercise levels.

Thanks for reading

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
When you discuss this with your doctor check which statin you are on as some of them have anti- platelet properties as well.

If you can tolerate aspirin go for a dispersable one as the non dispersable can damage your stomach lining and cause ulcers.

There is also a drug, Clopidogrel, which is given as an alternative to aspirin for those who are sensitive to aspirin.

J

JohnFT

Thanks for that.

I'm on Atorvastatin (Lipitor) and from what I read that reduces platelet count significantly. Would I be correct in assuming then that Aspirin on top of that would be over the top?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Many people take both drugs with no adverse affects but it is best to discuss with your GP.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
JohnFT said:
Thanks for that.

I'm on Atorvastatin (Lipitor) and from what I read that reduces platelet count significantly. Would I be correct in assuming then that Aspirin on top of that would be over the top?

I take both Atorvastatin and a daily dose of dispersable Aspirin, have done since 2004 when I had a Triple Heart By-Pass Op. The Atorvastatin is primarily a Lipid lowering drug with other benefits as you have found. The Aspirin also has anti platelet forming effects. It all depends on your medical history and your own personal risk factors as to whether or not you need both.

As Sue stated, see and discuss all this with your GP.

Ken

J

JohnFT

Thanks both, that's clear.

I've got a half year review coming up soon and I'll pick it up with my GP then.

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
Hi John,

First of all good luck with your half year review.

Don't be surprised if they don't encourage you to take Aspirin as Sue and Ken have already mentioned there are a lot of drugs that add to the effect of Aspirin. I was advised initially not to use Aspirin because of my passion for using Garlic in just about everything I eat (can easily us a whole Bulb a day). I didn't know until my GP informed me that Garlic was a natural Aspirin and if used in conjunction with a tablet form of Aspirin can have too much of a thinning effect. But these guys will have your blood panel in front of them and will be the only ones that can decide wether its a good thing for you. I for one didn't know Garlic was THAT potent, I just really used it to flavour food particularly meat/chicken/fish.

Like you I'm in a very high risk group lots of heart problems down the family tree (various cardiac myopathy's) but now I'm on Aspirin as well as keeping to my cook everything with garlic method :lol: Just before Christmas my GP decided it was time for me to start taking it based on my latest blood test results.

Just thought I'd throw the garlic thing in there.

All the best.

Richard.

I'd also like to add to what Ken and Sue have already said - Dispersible is by far the better option.

J

JohnFT

Hi Richard

Thanks for the good wishes on the review.

I would never have guessed that about garlic. I've only just started taking food types and their effects seriously recently. I'll keep that tip in mind. I can think of worse things to do in the quest for healthy eating than upping my garlic intake.

Cheers
John