Asprin advice

beccadry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been to my first diabetic midwife appointment. im allready taking folic acid 5g, and he has told me i need to be taking asprin on a low dose once a day. had any one else been advised the same and is it safe ??

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised the same and it's perfectly safe and not uncommon, even for non-diabetic pregnancies. The reason I was told was that if you start taking it around week 14 it's been shown to be effective in preventing high blood pressure.

Yuste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been advised the same, but didn't take any. All pregnancy went without any complications and I now have a lovely healthy 3 months old baby girl.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised the same at about 12 weeks to avoid blood pressure raising etc. Taking just a normal dose from the chemist.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was advised to take it to help prevent pre-eclampsia. I was nervous and did a lot of research before taking it, but I was happy and did take it as I thought the evidence showed it was a good idea.

You'll sometimes see it referred to as 'baby aspirin'. I believe that's because it's a low dose not because you're having a baby! I took 80mg a day and they were gastro resistant ones so they didn't cause me any tummy problems.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,

A massive congratulations on finding out your expecting , exciting times .

I was also advised the same and for the same reason above to try and prevent pre-eclampsia . I started taking aspirin after I stopped my folic acid at 12 weeks and then also started taking pregnacare and I now have a beautiful 20 week old baby boy .

Wishing you loads of luck. :)

cloe x

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I was told the same at 8 wk appointment by obs consultant. Take 75mg daily until 34 wks. I wasn't entirely sure as this wasn't the advice in my previous pregnancies but after a bit of research decided to go with it and so far everything is not tempting fate going well.