Assuming I am prediabetic

Tutts711

Just joined this forum.

I am 60, male. BMI 24.

Find myself getting tired more easily, mildly depressed in the last six month, genital itch..

And get sleepy after a meal rich in rice (I am ethnic Chinese).

I have not been officially diagnosed. Generally don't like to see doctors.

I see no harm to assume I am prediabetic and get on to a more healthy lifestyle - low carb and less stress.

How do I track my glucose level? Should I be tracking? Any other advice?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Tutts711 and welcome to the forum. Rather than assuming you are prediabetic and self treating, I think it would be wise to get a blood test (an HbA1c which gives an average of your blood sugars over the preceding three months) via your GP, your symptoms are suggestive of diabetes but you should rule out other illnesses too.
If you do find your HbA1c is elevated then definitely start lowering carbs and test. We can give you some advice on blood sugar monitors with reasonably affordable strips.

Reactions: EllieM

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d agree that checking in with your doc about your HbA1c and to rule out anything else would be a good idea, but in my opinion eating a low carb diet of unprocessed foods is a good move for anyone and will almost certainly lead to some tangible health benefits.

Tutts711

I am planning to get some test strips and a lancing device to start testing my glucose. Any guide how to go about this?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am planning to get some test strips and a lancing device to start testing my glucose. Any guide how to go about this?

There are a few popular meters used by type 2s on here. The cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on so don’t be seduced by offers of free meters with expensive strips.

The meter with the cheapest strips is the Gluco Navii. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips. Buying a pack of 10 boxes of strips using the discount code works out at £5.68.

The SD Codefree from Home Health has similarly priced strips, but is rumoured to be being discontinued at some point.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare also has relatively cheap strips, (although they have recently gone up in price): https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-copy-of-tee2-blood-glucose-meter
with the strips found here: https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-tee2-test-strips

I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423. I daresay Home Health would do the same.

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box (or mention on the phone) to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

And in terms of testing, test immediately before eating and again 2 hours after the first bite. Generally you’re looking for a rise of no more than 2mmols assuming that you’ve eaten something low carb. There are some guides to blood sugar ranges elsewhere on this website - can’t find a working link right now.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Something you enjoy, or you won’t keep it up. Personally I favour walking.
Walking is good, so is gardening, housework, hobbies, sport, basically anything that isn't sitting down. You can find many exercise programmes on the internet. Good luck in finding something you enjoy

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am past the stage of high exercise, but I am also cunning! As well as walking, I take exercise by being inefficient. For instance, instead of piling items on the stairs to take up in one go, I take up one thing at a time. After a lifetime of time-and-motion efficiency, I deliberately do one thing at a time, especially if each time means going into another room or up the garden. I make sure I sit in different chairs/seats after about an hour of sitting-down work. If I make a hot drink, I fetch each item individually and go out of the room while the kettle is boiling. If I'm folding laundry, I do it one item at a time and walk away betweentimes.Tiny steps, tiny increments, but it all adds up.