Asymptomatic High Glucose.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I have had on accasion, situations where the BGL has very high, yet there were no symptoms associated with it. Is this common?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you retest when you got the high? How high was your sugar?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually don't get any symptoms until I'm over about 12 on my meter. I definitely feel it if I hit 15 which is my highest I've been in a while. I guess it depends on how high you mean.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I've had highs when I did not expect them. I just tested routinely and found that I was high-it's usually transient though-it usually resolves within a couple of hours.

Also, some hand soaps and lotions can give you false highs-always rewash your hands and make sure everything is off them before re-testing.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As high as 24. Yet other times I can barely stand up.

Ok - that is very high.

When you get a high, always wash your hands and retest just to be sure. You'd be surprised how even a tiny, tiny trace of something on your finger can affect the reading.

I'd be gasping with thirst at 24, but if you're having a lot of highs, it's possible your body may have got used to them so you don't feel as bad.

It would be worth speaking to your nurse about the highs to see what they advise.

I see you're on insulin. Do you count carbs?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I've had highs when I did not expect them. I just tested routinely and found that I was high-it's usually transient though-it usually resolves within a couple of hours.

Also, some hand soaps and lotions can give you false highs-always rewash your hands and make sure everything is off them before re-testing.
I always make sure the donor site is clean.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Ok - that is very high.

When you get a high, always wash your hands and retest just to be sure. You'd be surprised how even a tiny, tiny trace of something on your finger can affect the reading.

I'd be gasping with thirst at 24, but if you're having a lot of highs, it's possible your body may have got used to them so you don't feel as bad.

It would be worth speaking to your nurse about the highs to see what they advise.

I see you're on insulin. Do you count carbs?
As best I can, yet stress can sometimes muddy the water.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I relapsed I was at 26 and had no clue until I tested. No symptoms at all.

Reactions: SWUSA_