At 95 most of my contacts don't say much!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Typicaltwo

My HbA1c was at 95 after fasting blood teat.
The chart told me that any number above 9 on HbA1c is Very Dangerous!

Best regards
Mike

There is no such thing as an HbA1c of 9. This probably refers to 9mmol/L as seen on our meters.

Please be aware of the different measurement units! The HbA1c is measured these days in most labs in the UK in mmol/mol. On our meters and when we have a snapshot fasting blood test at the doctor's surgery it is measured in mmol/L in the UK. Occasionally you will also see an HbA1c measured in a percentage that will look something like 6.5%. (These are now very old style measurements). In the US and some other countries the measurement units for meters are in mg/dl.

Your HbA1c was 95mmol/mol. (or 10.8% in the old numbers) This equates to 14.6mmol/L as seen on our meters. There is a conversion chart here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

It is complicated at first, but you will soon pick it up. As you are in the UK please remember that some of our members on this forum are from abroad and use different units!! Make sure you know the difference before you start comparing your own levels.

Reactions: 2 people

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@MikeinWales
Just to let you know we type 2s have become very very resourceful and @KevinPotts has alerted us to Oppo ice cream. It is lovely and allowed. Waitrose and holland and barrett sell it. Some have found it in their co-op or budgens too.
We have found Lidl sell protein rolls which are great for a sandwich roll, crackers or just to make soldiers to dip in your breakfast egg.
The world is your oyster.
As the info states diabetic food is a con so check your food labels and try and stick to carb content of 10g or less per 100g produce.
Loads of us and thoroughly enjoying our healthy foods.
You'll find some love to bake with almond flour or seseme flour and stevia instead of sugar.
Myself I've found so many different diet carbonated drinks. Although most days now I stick with water or decaf coffee.
Mike you are going to love it!
Welcome to the willy wonka chocolate factory made from 90% coco and double cream. Yummy!
Enjoy!
This what I call GREAT NEWS the best NEWS from the past few days!
The idea of being in the willy wonka chocolate factory is amazing!
Monday is normally my shopping day, however today Wednesday seams like the day to hit waitrose hard searching for some joy!;)... Many thanks for this information on ice cream.

The idea of exploring new foods from around the world is exciting: I love the idea of exploring a low carb life style.
I have so much to try and learn: and its due to help, and support from the great members of this website that has given me hope for the future!

I still have the reading of 95 on the BHa1c reading, with luck it will be down in a few weeks time.
I have today pricked my finger and taken my first blood sugar reading: its 9.5
So much to try and learn!
How is the reading of 9.5 on Blood sugar?
I think that it may be moving down but I do not know yet.
How long does it take to start to get some idea of what is happening?
This is mike happy about the ice cram: but confused over the implications of 9.5 on mmol

A big thank you for your remarks
best regards
Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@MikeinWales

We can't help with your 9.5 reading unless you tell us under what circumstances it was taken - as soon as you woke up (ie fasting), after you have been up and about a long time, after food or drink?

The idea is to test immediately before a meal and then again 2 hours after you started to eat. Look at the rise from before to after. It needs to be less than 2mmol/l. If it isn't, there were too many carbs in that meal. Once you are further in to this, try to keep the rise even lower, preferably under 1.5mmol/l. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. Patterns will emerge and you will learn. You can try the meal again with reduced carb portion sizes or eliminate some of the carbs completely.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MikeinWales

As I was preparing to type this I've just seen @Bluetit1802 post and agree with her
As my HbA1c was 95 to begin with I've just looked back at my readings which I started about 10 days after diagnosis. My fasting readings taken first thing in the morning were around 10 (8.5- 16.9) for the first 3 weeks. As I started to understand more they came down. It took me about 6 weeks to get under 7 for the first time. I would really encourage you to write everything down so you can look back at your progress.

Reactions: 6 people

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no such thing as an HbA1c of 9. This probably refers to 9mmol/L as seen on our meters.

Please be aware of the different measurement units! The HbA1c is measured these days in most labs in the UK in mmol/mol. On our meters and when we have a snapshot fasting blood test at the doctor's surgery it is measured in mmol/L in the UK. Occasionally you will also see an HbA1c measured in a percentage that will look something like 6.5%. (These are now very old style measurements). In the US and some other countries the measurement units for meters are in mg/dl.

Your HbA1c was 95mmol/mol. (or 10.8% in the old numbers) This equates to 14.6mmol/L as seen on our meters. There is a conversion chart here

It is complicated at first, but you will soon pick it up. As you are in the UK please remember that some of our members on this forum are from abroad and use different units!! Make sure you know the difference before you start comparing your own levels.
Hi Bluetit,
After looking at the blood sugar levels the guidelines I find the following HbA1c readings:
LOW is less than 4
NORMAL is 4 to 4.9
GOOD is 5 to 5.9
AT RISK is 6 to 6.0
DANGER ZONE 7 to 7.9
COMPLICATIONS CAN ARISE 8 to 8.9
VERY DANGEROUS 9+
Link for above at: http://www.disabled-world.com/health/diabetes/mg-dl.php

After fasting blood tests and from my DR verbally and in writing I was told that my reading was 95 mmol/mol Hight @ HbA1c which is according to all the information high.
The chart that I am looking at stops at 9+ which is 13.6 mmol/1.

After looking at your link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I find the following:
95 mmol/l in writing & verbally from Dr equals 61.6 HBA1c
also
61.6 HBA1c equals 95.4 mmol/mol

This information as provided from you, via your links: has help my understanding of the position.
I now understand that my HBA1c is not 95.
From the 95 mmol reading my HBA1c is 61.6 which is a lot better than 95 as per my original incorrect understanding!
Thank you very much for you posting.
You have helped in so many ways and for this I am truly thankful.

I also now understand that the recommended max is 48 mmmol.
My mmol is 95.4 which is almost twice the max.
My HBA1c is 61.6

From the orinional chart on the posting and link previous I note that a 9+ HbA1c with 13.6+ readings are considered VERY DANGEROUS!
http://www.disabled-world.com/health/diabetes/mg-dl.php

My goal is to continue with the aqua, and walking; along with reducing the carbs, and where possible increase the gym activity.

I have put the link which you provided into my P.C. as the conversion tool is amazing in providing information.
Thank you so very much.
Best regards
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MikeinWales

As I was preparing to type this I've just seen @Bluetit1802 post and agree with her
As my HbA1c was 95 to begin with I've just looked back at my readings which I started about 10 days after diagnosis. My fasting readings taken first thing in the morning were around 10 (8.5- 16.9) for the first 3 weeks. As I started to understand more they came down. It took me about 6 weeks to get under 7 for the first time. I would really encourage you to write everything down so you can look back at your progress.
Hitsme: I agree 100%
Today is the first day using the meter. I have been told by my DR to use it three times a day for the first week, write down the readings; then take a reading every other day. Good luck to you as you continue moving forward.
Best regards
Mike

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@MikeinWales

We can't help with your 9.5 reading unless you tell us under what circumstances it was taken - as soon as you woke up (ie fasting), after you have been up and about a long time, after food or drink?

The idea is to test immediately before a meal and then again 2 hours after you started to eat. Look at the rise from before to after. It needs to be less than 2mmol/l. If it isn't, there were too many carbs in that meal. Once you are further in to this, try to keep the rise even lower, preferably under 1.5mmol/l. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. Patterns will emerge and you will learn. You can try the meal again with reduced carb portion sizes or eliminate some of the carbs completely.
Bluetit: Today is my first day with the meter. I took the reading after returning from the DR which was about two hrs after breakfast of banana whole cereal and milk. I will do as you recommend,. After a few days I will post the results. I do hope that you and the great members of this website will help me understand what they mean.
Thank you again.
Best regards
Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Blutit,
After looking at the blood sugar levels the guidelines I find the following HbA1c readings:
LOW is less than 4
NORMAL is 4 to 4.9
GOOD is 5 to 5.9
AT RISK is 6 to 6.0
DANGER ZONE 7 to 7.9
COMPLICATIONS CAN ARISE 8 to 8.9
VERY DANGEROUS 9+
Link for above at: http://www.disabled-world.com/health/diabetes/mg-dl.php

After fasting blood tests and from my DR verbally and in writing I was told that my reading was 95 mmol/mol Hight @ HbA1c which is according to all the information high.
The chart that I am looking at stops at 9+ which is 13.6 mmol/1.

After looking at your link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I find the following:
95 mmol/l in writing & verbally from Dr equals 61.6 HBA1c
also
61.6 HBA1c equals 95.4 mmol/mol

This information as provided from you, via your links: has help my understanding of the position.
I now understand that my HBA1c is not 95.
From the 95 mmol reading my HBA1c is 61.6 which is a lot better than 95 as per my original incorrect understanding!
Thank you very much for you posting.
You have helped in so many ways and for this I am truly thankful.

I also now understand that the recommended max is 48 mmmol.
My mmol is 95.4 which is almost twice the max.
My HBA1c is 61.6

From the orinional chart on the posting and link previous I note that a 9+ HbA1c with 13.6+ readings are considered VERY DANGEROUS!
http://www.disabled-world.com/health/diabetes/mg-dl.php

My goal is to continue with the aqua, and walking; along with reducing the carbs, and where possible increase the gym activity.

I have put the link which you provided into my P.C. as the conversion tool is amazing in providing information.
Thank you so very much.
Best regards
Mike

I think you are getting very confused and mixing up all the measurement units. The chart you are looking at is an American one and best ignored.
Where are you getting this figure of 61.6 from, and what are the measurement units?

The facts:
Your HbA1c is 95mmol/mol. (which is high). It needs to be under 48mmol/mol.
If you convert that figure to the units we see on our meters it equates to 14.6mmol/l
If you want it in the old percentage units it is 10.8
If you want it in the American units it is somewhere around 262mg/dl

There is a better chart but I can't find it at the moment - one that relates to UK measurement. Someone else may have it.

Don't worry, we are all confused at first.:)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Bluetit, are you thinking of the Fifty Shades of Diabetes? I'd post the link if I could.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

This is your HbA1c test result. (and I advise you to get a print out of these results from your surgery)

up to 41 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

Your 95 is well and truly diabetic!

You have every chance of reducing this, and my advice is to start now before more damage is done. Many people on here started with levels higher than 95 and have subsequently got down to the 40s and even the 30s. The Metformin will help to a small extent, but not very much. Diet is the key to control, and to help you with this you will need a glucose meter so you can learn which foods are causing these raised levels.

Read round the forums, take note of the role of carbohydrates, and read the main website from the Home tab to learn all you can about this disease and what all the measurement units and numbers mean. Meanwhile, I will tag @daisy1 who has some excellent information for newcomers.
I was 85 and in 4 months well and truly reversed. No meds. Test regularly is the key... that and the lchf diet.

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are getting very confused and mixing up all the measurement units. The chart you are looking at is an American one and best ignored.
Where are you getting this figure of 61.6 from, and what are the measurement units?

The facts:
Your HbA1c is 95mmol/mol. (which is high). It needs to be under 48mmol/mol.
If you convert that figure to the units we see on our meters it equates to 14.6mmol/l
If you want it in the old percentage units it is 10.8
If you want it in the American units it is somewhere around 262mg/dl

There is a better chart but I can't find it at the moment - one that relates to UK measurement. Someone else may have it.

Don't worry, we are all confused at first.:)
Hi Bluetit.
To answer your question regarding the 61.6.
The Facts:
* 61.6 is from converting the average BLOOD GLUCOSE from 95mmol/l into 61.6 hba1c
* The figures are from this link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I have run the numbers twice and I have recieved the same results.

Bluetit I may be as you say 'confused' as this is all new to me.
Will you please look at the numbers as per my info and weblink.
If I am wrong then will you please tell me what I have done wrong as I need to get this 100% correct.
Thanking you in advance.
Best regards
Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit.
To answer your question regarding the 61.6.
The Facts:
* 61.6 is from converting the average BLOOD GLUCOSE from 95mmol/l into 61.6 hba1c
* The figures are from this link: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
I have run the numbers twice and I have recieved the same results.

Bluetit I may be as you say 'confused' as this is all new to me.
Will you please look at the numbers as per my info and weblink.
If I am wrong then will you please tell me what I have done wrong as I need to get this 100% correct.
Thanking you in advance.
Best regards
Mike

Now I see what you have done.
You have entered your HbA1c of 95mmol/mol in the box for average glucose in mmol/l.
You are confusing mmol/mol units with mmol/l units.

You don't know what your average glucose in mmol/l is - this is something you won't know until you have used your glucose meter many, many times (for months). You need to complete the first conversion boxes on that page. Enter your 95 in the mmol/mol box and that will tell you what your average glucose was over the previous 2 to 3 months (14.6mmol/l)

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now I see what you have done.
You have entered your HbA1c of 95mmol/mol in the box for average glucose in mmol/l.
You are confusing mmol/mol units with mmol/l units.

You don't know what your average glucose in mmol/l is - this is something you won't know until you have used your glucose meter many, many times (for months). You need to complete the first conversion boxes on that page. Enter your 95 in the mmol/mol box and that will tell you what your average glucose was over the previous 2 to 3 months (14.6mmol/l)
Its all starting to make good sense.
Thank you once again.
As a side note I am going back for another blood fasting test in a few weeks. There has been THREE months between each test so the next result should be helpful.
After a few weeks of testing with the meter I should also get a balance picture: with the help of this great website.
Best regards
Mikie

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hitsme: I agree 100%
Today is the first day using the meter. I have been told by my DR to use it three times a day for the first week, write down the readings; then take a reading every other day. Good luck to you as you continue moving forward.
Best regards
Mike

I hope you are ignoring your doctor? Your meter should be used to test your food to help you know what you can eat. This means testing each meal before and 2 hours after starting. You can alternate meals, so you do breakfast one day, lunch the next, and so on, but one week is not enough. You will need to do this for months until you have found yourself a suitable diet that does not raise your levels. A food diary is also essential, in my opinion, with the levels recorded alongside.
Try this, and let us know how you go on.

MikeinWales

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope you are ignoring your doctor? Your meter should be used to test your food to help you know what you can eat. This means testing each meal before and 2 hours after starting. You can alternate meals, so you do breakfast one day, lunch the next, and so on, but one week is not enough. You will need to do this for months until you have found yourself a suitable diet that does not raise your levels. A food diary is also essential, in my opinion, with the levels recorded alongside.
Try this, and let us know how you go on.
Hi Bluetit: My DR is very good, she has arranged another blood test THREE months apart which gives me the information for the previous three months. The equilibrium is interesting to me as information is power to action as far as I am concerned.

Regarding the meter I am looking forward in keeping a log of each reading pre and post meals for breakfast- lunch - & dinner.
I will use the UK website to input each reading:, and in time a patter may become apparent..

I am hoping that my additional challenges of M.S. does not hinder, or inter-fear with the attempts to control, and monitor food intake.
As a side note: I have also started to read and download the FREE books from this great web-site.
Let the adventure begin as we all stand shoulder to shoulder with life's challenges!

Best regards and grateful thanks
Mike

Reactions: 3 people