At least we have Diabetes and not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyGirl

Paul1976 said:
ShyGirl said:
I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack support :(

THAT'S NOT FAIR and completely untrue!! No-one has said it's an easy disease!

It is fair and true for me. I'm not talking for others , just what i've experienced and felt since posting. Please don't tell me how to feel , that isn't fair at all.

My point is that diabetes isn't the same for everyone and sometimes you feel left out on sites like this if you are having issues in all areas. If others find it easy to fit it all in then good for them , only a horrible person would wish hard times upon others , but for some it's been a tough road that's neverending.

I feel the same when I read balance. They tend to leave some topics out of the magazine and focus on those climbing mountains when some of us can't even access a decent clinic

Defren said:
ShyGirl said:
I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack it :(

It may well be bizarre to you, but it certainly isn't to me. However I am not you, you are not me, I am speaking from a personal perspective, that I see diabetes as a friend. I could say I find your attitude to your diabetes bizarre, but I accept we all view our condition differently.

I don't understand why you question the support nature of this forum simply because people are speaking of their own experiences. I actually find that quite sad. Like I said, I have no complications and am highly pro-active in my conditions management, so I do feel a lot of benefits from the changes I have made, I am sorry your other conditions makes dealing with your diabetes more difficult. No one wishes that on anyone I'm sure. I also find it highly unfair you think the forum lacks support, when I have read you getting some of the very support you say is lacking. There are a lot of low and ultra low carbers here, but many people who are not so ridged about carbs, there are very few people who don't offer support, and those who don't universally don't no matter if the person asking for support is low carb or not.

Joanna.

I didn't mean support about low carbing. I probably worded it wrong as I meant that food is the biggest topic on here so support is quick if talking about diets.
If you are dealing with other issues then you can end up feeling left out. At the moment i'm wondering what to about my clinic , chemist and hospital doctors as it's quite complex but there's no one to ask for advice really.

Defren

Shygirl, don't ever sit with a question and not post it. It doesn't matter what issue you have, I am sure someone will have been through either the same thing or similar. No one would ever want anyone to be sitting worried about something and not asking. Don't ever feel you can't ask a question. I know very, very little about T1 but I would always offer support on an emotional level if I can't help on a practical one, and many other posters here are the same.

Diabetes is a condition it's easy to feel angry at. I understand that, but don't get angry at other diabetics. :D If there are people you feel can't "get you" or don't understand you, or are just not remotely concerned, ignore them and move on the those who do care, and there are loads and loads of us here. Try it and see... :D

Defren

Paul1976 said:
I'm not dissing your problems but if you think life is smooth for me and others then you're sadly wrong,I won't say any more than that BUT if you and I both threw our health and problems into a pile-You'd soon scream and jump into the pile to get yours back.That is all

I'm going to back Paul here. Read some of his posts when he first joined, he has so many issues it could make your hair curl, but he will go above and beyond to support anyone who needs it. Don't believe me? Check out his early posts. (((Shygirl)))

WhitbyJet

Defren said:
Shygirl, don't ever sit with a question and not post it. It doesn't matter what issue you have, I am sure someone will have been through either the same thing or similar. No one would ever want anyone to be sitting worried about something and not asking. Don't ever feel you can't ask a question. I know very, very little about T1 but I would always offer support on an emotional level if I can't help on a practical one, and many other posters here are the same.

Diabetes is a condition it's easy to feel angry at. I understand that, but don't get angry at other diabetics. :D If there are people you feel can't "get you" or don't understand you, or are just not remotely concerned, ignore them and move on the those who do care, and there are loads and loads of us here. Try it and see... :D

Excellent post Defren :thumbup: :thumbup:

ShyGirl - please, please tell us about the issues you are facing at present, I can promise you that we will do our utmost to try and help you find a solution to your problems.
I know you said that you have no kitchen access at present, is that hopefully a temporary situation??
I will try and find you lots of really tasty, easy and quick to prepare vegetarian recipes, is there any food that you particularly like/dislike??
Please dont be upset now, let us try to help you get out of this hole that you are in right now, it can be good again you know, you are not alone.
Big hug x x

ShyGirl

Paul1976 said:
Paul1976 said:
ShyGirl said:
I know i'm not average but this this cliche that diabetes is an easy disease to have and in some cases a friend is just bizarre. Is this really a support forum? Unless talking about low carbing it seems to lack support :(

THAT'S NOT FAIR and completely untrue!! No-one has said it's an easy disease!

It is fair and true for me. I'm not talking for others , just what i've experienced and felt since posting. Please don't tell me how to feel , that isn't fair at all.

My point is that diabetes isn't the same for everyone and sometimes you feel left out on sites like this if you are having issues in all areas. If others find it easy to fit it all in then good for them , only a horrible person would wish hard times upon others , but for some it's been a tough road that's neverending.

I feel the same when I read balance. They tend to leave some topics out of the magazine and focus on those climbing mountains when some of us can't even access a decent clinic

I
I'm not dissing your problems but if you think life is smooth for me and others then you're sadly wrong,I won't say any more than that BUT if you and I both threw our health and problems into a pile-You'd soon scream and jump into the pile to get yours back.That is all[/quote]

Would I?
Why even say such a mean spirited thing and turn into some competition ? It's obvious this site is prone to
bullying- I've seen enough locked threads so guess things happen behind the scenes too- so I won't comment anymore as your tone is nasty.

What a shame that unless you agree with everyone on here on every topic you are snarled at. I expected more

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Uncontrolled diabetes, or diabetes which people are struggling to control, or one where neuropathies are kicking in, is however not an inconvenience but a frightening and seriously disabling condition. And for many people out there with auto-immune problems diabetes is only one aspect of a much larger set of debilitating conditions. The majority of the articulate members of the forum tend to be those who are controlling straightforward T2 by diet only and without neuropathy, and maybe at times members need to avoid using 'we' to refer to all diabetics.
We're not all in the same boat, even if we can gain immeasurably from sharing ideas and experiences.

It's happened again, members are at each others throats( not literally) :thumbdown: . I agree with the above statement and shygirls 1st post. People forget that there are different types of Diabetes. I have had type 1 for 23 years now, and rarely went to the doctors, but obviously went to all my diabetes clinics, practice DSN, eye checks, everything and for the past 2 years, especially this year, there have been constant problems. I am worried for my health and obviously how these things are affecting my daughter. 23 years of injections and finger pricking, it can take its toll on a person, I have 2 hospital appointments 2 days in a row this week, possibly diabetes related.

But..........what I really wanted to say was Diabetes is not just an inconveinence, not to me and probably many of hundreds and thousands out there as well. What about the children with Type 1? have any of YOU seen what can happen with a child. Well I'm going to tell you, because I have seen it first hand. A young child under the age of 5, being admitted to hospital, with suspected diabetes as noticed by parent, a week before. On the High Dependancy Unit( HDU) with tubes coming out of every orifice and an oxygen mask on, admitted with a blood glucose reading of over 40, the doctor in charge saying it was one of the worse cases he had seen in 10 years, not knowing if that child will live or die. I HAVE SEEN THIS, WITTNESSED IT, cried, broke my heart and felt so quilty because Type 1 ( Insulin controlled diabetes because the pancreas has packed up) is my family. Reading what some members have written has upset me and angerd me so much...............dont anyone ever class this Serious Chronic Disease as a just bl***y inconveinece, :x This is one of the very serious aspects of diabetes.

Just to say, that the child did survive and has been a model patient( well most of the time :wink: ) , just 2 1/2 years old. I hope people will take notice of what I have written and if any other 'adults' have wittnessed the same thing, then you will know exactly how I am feeling right now :cry: RRB

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A good reminder RRB.
As an adult with T1, I know I was so fortunate not to develop it earlier. I am good at forgetting things but the ten days I spent in hospital were indeed the worst in my life.
The diagnosis of diabetes covers a spectum of conditions, often we aren't talking about the same thing at all. For some people it is just a question of adjusting their lifestyle. For others, it can be a lifetime with a condition that may result in immediate deadly consequences or future devastating problems. It is a serious disease.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
phoenix said:
A good reminder RRB.
As an adult with T1, I know I was so fortunate not to develop it earlier. I am good at forgetting things but the ten days I spent in hospital were indeed the worst in my life.
The diagnosis of diabetes covers a spectum of conditions, often we aren't talking about the same thing at all. For some people it is just a question of adjusting their lifestyle. For others, it can be a lifetime with a condition that may result in immediate deadly consequences or future devastating problems. It is a serious disease.

Thanks for your reply Phoenix. I understand the 'hospital admittance' very well. Diabetes is part of us and I try to just get on with it, but many people out there can find it so debilitating and try to overcome obsticule upon obsticule. I wish all people with diabetes could just have a nice walk in the park, strolling through lifes up's and downs with its many diversities........ but so many come up against a brick wall and haven't the strenght or good health to break through it. To these peole, It can be a mountainous journey ahead. RRB

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
borofergie said:
That's a great post, and something that motivates me everytime that I'm a little glum about not being able to eat trifle. For me diabetes is more of a minor inconvenience than a serious condition.

Both my parents died in their early 60s from cancer. Before I was diagnosed, I'd convinced myself that it was cancer causing my numb feet. Compared with that, diabetes came as a relief.

Sheesh people. I said "me". I didn't say "we". I certainly didn't say "you".

My "minor inconvenience" involves eating almost zero carbs and running 20 miles a week.

Is it easy? No.

Is it better than cancer? In my experience (dead parents with breast and bowell cancer and a dead friend with pancreatic cancer), almost certainly yes.

I'm sorry for anyone that is struggling to control their diabetes. But I absolutely refuse to allow my diabetes to control me.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Robinredbreast said:
.dont anyone ever class this Serious Chronic Disease as a just bl***y inconveinece

I reserve the right to describe my diabetes in any way that I choose.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone!

Well, if I could choose to be perfect or have diabetes, I wouldn't choose diabetes. On the other hand, if perfection was ruled out and I was given a whole set of serious long-term illnesses to choose between, diabetes wouldn't be too far down the list for me! Don't get me wrong, I hate the flippin' illness - stabbing and jabbing and counting carbs and low-carbing and worrying about my scores and on and on and on and never a break. Today, my letter came to book my annual retinopathy screening (so I'll worry about that for the next month or so), soon it'll be my HbA1c and checkup at the diabetes hospital, followed quickly by flu jab - it really is never-ending. So I don't enjoy diabetes - who does? But I manage the condition to the best of my ability because I choose to do everything I can to avoid the complications that come with diabetes. If I had to have complications, there would be some I would choose above others. I guess what i'm saying is that we all have choices, we don't have all the options we would like to choose between, but that's life! I choose to accept my illness and not get too down about it. Of course it gets to me sometimes - I think anyone who says they never get down about diabetes isn't telling the truth - but I have never known getting depressed about a situation make the situation better. We can only make our choices wisely and hope for a little luck :)

Smidge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smidge said:
Hey everyone!

Well, if I could choose to be perfect or have diabetes, I wouldn't choose diabetes. On the other hand, if perfection was ruled out and I was given a whole set of serious long-term illnesses to choose between, diabetes wouldn't be too far down the list for me! Don't get me wrong, I hate the flippin' illness - stabbing and jabbing and counting carbs and low-carbing and worrying about my scores and on and on and on and never a break. Today, my letter came to book my annual retinopathy screening (so I'll worry about that for the next month or so), soon it'll be my HbA1c and checkup at the diabetes hospital, followed quickly by flu jab - it really is never-ending. So I don't enjoy diabetes - who does? But I manage the condition to the best of my ability because I choose to do everything I can to avoid the complications that come with diabetes. If I had to have complications, there would be some I would choose above others. I guess what i'm saying is that we all have choices, we don't have all the options we would like to choose between, but that's life! I choose to accept my illness and not get too down about it. Of course it gets to me sometimes - I think anyone who says they never get down about diabetes isn't telling the truth - but I have never known getting depressed about a situation make the situation better. We can only make our choices wisely and hope for a little luck :)

Smidge

'We can only make our choices wisely and hope for a little luck" :) So true RRB

shop

Paul1976 said:
We're all going to see things different on this subject.we can only comment through our own take on things and experiences,I have diabetic complications but in my life right now,it's the least of my problems and compared to some people I've met-I'm blessed in comparison.
There's no right or wrong on this subject-only different life experiences and views.

Hey guys,

Doesnt it come down to exactly what Paul has said. Our own individual experiences. How we often react to things is affected by what we have experienced. whether it be in the past or now.

Some of us are lucky enough not to have experienced some terrible illness either directly or as a close observer.

Some of us are not experiencing what others are right now..........complications and other illness.

Some of us are lucky to have healthy children, not having to hope that your child will be strong enough to survive their next surgery. Surgery that is neccessary to keep him or her alive. And having to be strong to get through all of this because your child needs you to be.

The only reason I could hate diabetes at the moment based on my knowledge and possible lack of experience is for its effect on children with diabetes. As an adult we should have the resiliance, presence of mind to deal with it to the best of our ability ( some better than others.) However If I was asked for a cure for either adults or children. I would choose children hands down!!

Posts become heated when somone feels "how could you understand how it affects ME!!!!" Well thats the point we cannot understand unless we have experienced or are experiencing what an individual has/is experiencing right now.

Sorry for the waffle I am not the best at putting my point across,

Lucy xxx

Unbeliever

borofergie said:
Robinredbreast said:
.dont anyone ever class this Serious Chronic Disease as a just bl***y inconveinece

I reserve the right to describe my diabetes in any way that I choose.

Quite right too. You made it quite clear you were only speaking of your own siuation which obviously means hat you recognise that it is not the same for everyone..

I can't understand why a chronic condiion like diabetes would be compared o a erminal candition such as cancer anyway but
I know there are many oher chronic conditions worse than diabetes . At least we can do certain things to control it.

When under connrol and incorporated into a daily routine it becomes no more han a minor inconvemience.

It is dangerous to assume that the status quo will lcontinue for ever. . The condition is insidious and can catch us out when we least expect it. I am sure you are fully aware of this.
Unfortunately we will not be given a choice in whatever fate has in sore and diabetes DOES make other conditions more difficult o treat.

I can't imagine many people congratulating themselves on "only " having diabetes. Its not terminal but has some prety drastic side effects which can strike wihout warning.
I suppose his attitude of being grateful for small mercies helps some people but its not really logical, its not diabetes rather han cancer. we don't get that "ge ou of gaol" card because we have diabetes,

I know you were not trivialising diabees but some people were -possibly that is how they cope - but i don' think it does anyone nay favours.

shop

Why even say such a mean spirited thing and turn into some competition ? It's obvious this site is prone to
bullying- I've seen enough locked threads so guess things happen behind the scenes too- so I won't comment anymore as your tone is nasty.

Shygirl.....Defren mentioned that there are lots of very supportive members on here. Paul is one of the 1st who comes to mind. As she says he has experienced more challenges than I will ever know. He could never be accussed of a nasty tone. Its a shame you've missed seeing a really genuine supportive guy.

Not having a go at you just had to highlight this

Lucy. xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But..........what I really wanted to say was Diabetes is not just an inconveinence, not to me and probably many of hundreds and thousands out there as well. What about the children with Type 1? have any of YOU seen what can happen with a child. Well I'm going to tell you, because I have seen it first hand. A young child under the age of 5, being admitted to hospital, with suspected diabetes as noticed by parent, a week before. On the High Dependancy Unit( HDU) with tubes coming out of every orifice and an oxygen mask on, admitted with a blood glucose reading of over 40, the doctor in charge saying it was one of the worse cases he had seen in 10 years, not knowing if that child will live or die. I HAVE SEEN THIS, WITTNESSED IT, cried, broke my heart and felt so quilty because Type 1 ( Insulin controlled diabetes, because the pancreas has packed up) is my family. Reading what some members have written has upset me and angerd me so much...............dont anyone ever class this Serious Chronic Disease as a just bl***y inconveinece, This is one of the very serious aspects of diabetes. This a large part of what I actually wrote about, I have been told told of a post written by another member...........
and "dont anyone ever class the Serious Chronic Disease as just bl***y inconvenience, This is one of the very serious aspects of diabetes." This was about CHILDREN and the life threatening, yes life threatening, condition of diabetes.
:( I think that would be classed as pretty serious, even by non diabetics. The above is not what I think, it is what I know and seen and I hope to god that noone, and I really mean that, ever has to wittness anything like this, EVER. RRB

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I fully agree RRB it would be a nightmare scenario I would hate to deal with if it was one of my children, but that was the sentiment of the post, being that some are far worse off than others whether from the complications of this disease or any other. I am lucky I don't have any complications just the inconvenience of dealing with it, I do sit and worry occasionally but try not to dwell. I may get complications later? but what's the point of worrying about the future, when trying to deal the now is far more important. I was a young man when I was hit by a vehicle on my motor cycle that accident done a lot of damage and I almost died, I was laying in bed for months thinking I wish all the pain would stop, and why did this happen to me at 21, I was getting married that same year but had to postpone because I could not walk down the aisle, or indeed walk again. I was so angry, I railed against the world but all to no avail. What it did teach me was. I always have to make the best of the worst situations, that was how I coped with my accident and indeed with my Diagnosis now and every one copes with things in their own way, with their own spin on it, if it helps then good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.