At what levels do you start seeing complications?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 diabetic on metformin. I am in USA MY sisters have type 2 Also, and we get different recommendations from our drs. My endocrinologist always wants me to improve my numbers.

I was doing a ketogenic diet but I found it too restrictive as far as food choices. My glucose was in normal range, but my cholesterol was a little higher.

I am overweight, from obese and trying to lose weight. I am doing WW which lets you eat a variety of food in moderation. I like it better and it seems more sustainable for me.

Random glucose runs around 110mg/dL or 6.1mmol/L . I am expecting my A1C to be around 5.3% or 5.9 mmol/L

I don’t know if there is an answer because I guess complications can come anytime, but is there a level I want to stay under? Also, do you have some warning. I get my eyes checked annually, labs 2x/year

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It varies, like everything else with this **** disease.

The reason an A1c of 6.5% (48) was chosen as the cutoff for diagnosis as it's when clinicians observed a marked increase in instances of retinopathy

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It varies, like everything else with this **** disease.

The reason an A1c of 6.5% (48) was chosen as the cutoff for diagnosis as it's when clinicians observed a marked increase in instances of retinopathy
Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Random glucose runs around 110mg/dL or 6.1mmol/L . I am expecting my A1C to be around 5.3% or 5.9 mmol/L

I don’t know if there is an answer because I guess complications can come anytime, but is there a level I want to stay under? Also, do you have some warning. I get my eyes checked annually, labs 2x/year

Honestly all this stuff is statistical and has a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" about it. but I think if your hba1c is staying below prediabetic levels (5.7% in the US?) you are very very unlikely to ever have much in the way of diabetic complications. (Though no promises can be made because this is very much a numbers game). As @Ronancastled said, 6.5% was chosen as an aim for diagnosed diabetics because not many people had retinopathy if they stayed below it.

I don't think I've ever had levels as low as yours in 52 years of T1 diabetes and I've still got all my limbs, working eyes, kidneys etc.... (Goes off to touch every piece of wood I can find). :) Congratulations on finding a WOE that works for you.

And you are getting all the tests so you should hopefully get ample warning if anything slips.