Atkins low carb bars

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi everyone,

Are there any T1's that use Atkins low carb bars as a snack? Its says most have between 11-13 carb but i am not sure this work out with a diabetic. can you share you experiences with them? Good or bad?

Look forward to your comments

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Look at the ingredients @maria030660 , someone posted them a while back and the bars contained all sorts of junk, better off with a piece of fruit or some oat crackers.

Reactions: hannahrose and Dodo

maria030660

Dislikes
yes saw it and as i am proud to say that i cook fresh every day and dont eat rubbish. But i guess you know as I am human sometimes when i see chocolate my mouth keeps dribbling ... ;)

Reactions: AnnJohnston

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
yes saw it and as i am proud to say that i cook fresh every day and dont eat rubbish. But i guess you know as I am human sometimes when i see chocolate my mouth keeps dribbling ... ;)

If you like chocolate and want to keep the carbs lowish then check out the high cocoa content chocolate in Aldi & Lidl, Aldi's brand is called Moser Roth & Lidl's is called JD Gross.

Reactions: Medusa41

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your better off with a chocolate biscuit at those levels of carbs or have a few more carbs and something that's got nuts/seeds/fruit in like natural bars. also a freddo is 11g of carbs (not sure about caramel)

What is it your craving?

maria030660

Dislikes
I love chocolate and the smell of it.....just lovely. But i could take or leave it but since mid menopause its a craving probably caused by hormonal swings. So far i can resist it especially since my midday bloodsugar hangs around 10/11.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tesco's chocologic is very kind to the blood sugars. And tastes good too...I buy it for my t1 daughter but keep having to get more as I eat it all myself!

Reactions: MrsHutt

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have them very often now, but if I'm really busy I sometimes use an Atkins bar as a meal replacement.
They list the net carbs a lot lower than you have ? The chocolate brownie says 3.1 net carbs and is very filling!
They don't spike me at all and seem to help with fibre too.

maria030660

Dislikes
I will have a go after my holiday (I am off to Budapest for a week)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Green and Blacks 85% Dark is excellent; very smooth and low carb. Often on special in the supermarkets.

Billy_Pilgrim

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BG spikes, Nazis, papercuts.
Hi everyone,

Are there any T1's that use Atkins low carb bars as a snack? Its says most have between 11-13 carb but i am not sure this work out with a diabetic. can you share you experiences with them? Good or bad?

I did try those when I first got diagnosed, and for some reason my BG went wildly off the boil with them, (disproportionately to the stated carb content). Far better were the Atkins Peanut Butter Cups - which I swear were just like the real thing, but somehow under 3g carbs per cup, if memory serves. Way too moreish though, and I vowed to never have them near me again.

I'm in Budapest right now as well - PM me if you need any advice on places to eat etc - I've got an apartment here and vaguely know my way around. Off the top of my head I can recommend the butchers shops, where they serve up incredible cooked sausages and meats with pickled & fresh veg for just a few quid.

maria030660

Dislikes
i returned from budapest on saturday and it was marvellous. The local hungarian food agreed with me and my bloodsugars stayed well. We stayed in Kiraly Street.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You had better be careful. I got banned for mentioning a bar I use (to avoid hypoglycemia at night and on the golf course). Cheap too, $1.35 each. I can't mention the name, but maybe I'll get banned again lol.

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Hi everyone,

Hi, have you read the small Collins gem book "Carb Counter"? It tells you about various diets (Atkins included)? I do use certain bars as a logical practicality in my own small world, but not whole bars at a time. I slice my (Decadence bars; Choc Brownies; Orange, or Hazelnut - all dark choc) into 8th slices and have a piece when walking home from work (20 mins) if my metre reading is around the 5.3 or less level. Feel confident that this will keep me going (again psychological thought, not hard fact), until I get home and MAY need more substantial grub until my next feeding time. My bar would last me almost 2-3 weeks! I agree though that this may not be everyone's choice, and this relates only to my own personal "training and experience". My BS doesn't rise by any more than 0.6 afterwards, but again the digestion probably hasn't fully happened.

maria030660

Dislikes
I have tried the lindt dark chocolate with orange and almonds. I block is 4 grams carbs and it is delicious