Atkins Low Carb Products

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I do think that someone is missing a trick with the "low-carb" stuff.

Compared with "Gluten Free" products, and the pack shelves of "low-fat" and "reduced-sugar" products, there is very little for Diabetics or Atkins dieters. I don't really understand why, other than the Atkins Advantage stuff, and Hartleys Sugar Free Jellys, I can't get my hand on any artifically sweetend stuff.

I scour the supermarket every week in search of new low-carb stuff to eat.

With the diabetes epidemic and the ever increasing acceptance of the Taubes stuff, I think that there is an ever widening gap in the market.

Grazer

borofergie said:
I do think that someone is missing a trick with the "low-carb" stuff.

Compared with "Gluten Free" products, and the pack shelves of "low-fat" and "reduced-sugar" products, there is very little for Diabetics or Atkins dieters. I don't really understand why, other than the Atkins Advantage stuff, and Hartleys Sugar Free Jellys, I can't get my hand on any artifically sweetend stuff.

I scour the supermarket every week in search of new low-carb stuff to eat.

With the diabetes epidemic and the ever increasing acceptance of the Taubes stuff, I think that there is an ever widening gap in the market.
I agree big time. I do the same search every week and there's nothing.I make a lot of my own - ice cream that I invented, "almost bounty's" from Whitby jet's posts, and it's all dead easy using Canderel or similar - so why don't manufactureres do it? There's a lot of stuff on the low carb megastore which is good, but you can't just buy it in the shops.

Grazer

borofergie said:
You can get them at Amazon, or any number of online places:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerBar-Protei ... B00426I3YS
(the nutritional info listed here is wrong, see the link below)

Boots also apparently sell them :
http://www.boots.com/en/PowerBar-Protei ... g_1217527/
(but their were none at my store when I looked today).

They do vanilla and strawberry flavour. You can sometimes get the strawberry ones at big Tescos, usually in the Sports Nutrition section, but sometimes near the Atkins Advantage stuff.

You sure the nutrition info is wrong? I looked on the Boots link you sent, and it says the vanilla ones are low carb, but the strawberry (and cranberry) ones are full carb! Hope you're not scoffing the wrong ones!
Thanks anyway though, I'll def try the vanilla ones.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Grazer said:
You sure the nutrition info is wrong? I looked on the Boots link you sent, and it says the vanilla ones are low carb, but the strawberry (and cranberry) ones are full carb! Hope you're not scoffing the wrong ones!

Oh no! I wondered why my toes were going numb...

You need to be careful to buy the ones that say "low carb" on a little green label. There are lots of different products in the Protein Plus range, but only two low-carb flavours (strawberry and vanilla), both are here:
http://www.powerbar.co.uk/protein-plus- ... ars-5-pack

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I don't think I've ever deliberately bought a product labelled 'Low Carb', not even Atkins, though I check labels thoroughly. Part of the problem is that I've never seen them on any shelves around here (though I haven't looked :roll: ).

I'm getting fed up of TV cookery programmes, to the point that I don't watch them any more 'cos there's hardly anything I can eat! Now there's a real gap in the market!

I seem to remember seeing a post made somewhere about the money-making that the Atkins Foundation does by pushing supplements. I agree that there's more than a touch of cynical greed about this, and the products. However, in his book, Atkins recommends supplements because he considers that commercially-farmed soils tend to be depleted of nutrients, so even fresh veg may not contain all the vitamins and minerals that it's supposed to. Just thought I'd post that to say he does have a reason for recommending supplements.

I don't take Atkins supplements - too expensive :lol:

Viv 8)