Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Less than 100g of carbs a day.
Usual routine:
Breakfast 2 eggs
Lunch salad/protein
Dinner something freshly cooked.

I don’t eat pasta/bread/rice or pretty much anything that has high carbs.

Exercise pretty much 10k steps a day and few time a week 30 mins on bike.

I’m leaning towards dropping the statins after reading all the info and seeing if that returns my BGs back to their previous level.
Probably won't do you any harm and may well be beneficial..
Personally I would never take them but as always what goes into your body should be your decision with input from your HCP not instruction.
I try lowering carbs significantly more if you can and aim for sub 20g per day to get into ketosis and see if that brings down your blood sugar readings. I also ditched breakfast and went for coffee with double cream instead to extent my overnight fast into mid afternoon.

Ralphb

Probably won't do you any harm and may well be beneficial..
Personally I would never take them but as always what goes into your body should be your decision with input from your HCP not instruction.
I try lowering carbs significantly more if you can and aim for sub 20g per day to get into ketosis and see if that brings down your blood sugar readings. I also ditched breakfast and went for coffee with double cream instead to extent my overnight fast into mid afternoon.

Hope you don’t mind all the questions. This is the most info I’ve had on this before :) thanks.

My FBG tends to start to rise in the morning until I eat something.
I can be at 7-8 before sleep and then in the morning usually 9 but that then seems to continue to rise and if I take a FBG a few hours later then it is always higher.

My research seems to suggest I get the dawn effect.

I’ve been diet controlled for 5 years and never taken any medication for diabetes and I’m really a bit annoyed that I may need to due to all these current bad numbers.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you don’t mind all the questions. This is the most info I’ve had on this before :) thanks.

I can be at 7-8 before sleep and then in the morning usually 9 but that then seems to continue to rise and if I take a FBG a few hours later then it is always higher.

I’ve been diet controlled for 5 years and never taken any medication for diabetes and I’m really a bit annoyed that I may need to due to all these current bad numbers.
This is the best place to ask, as there's a whole bunch of knowledgeable people here who've pretty much been in your shoes. ;) Quite a few of us deal with dawn phenomenon, and it's the last number to come down, once blood sugars are back to normal. Some of us have to eat a tiny little bit in the morning just so the liver knows to knock it off with the glucose dumping. At the same time, it is releasing what is stored there, and the sooner you're rid of the stores, the sooner dawn phenomenon might drop some. So you see what works for you eh. (When I was still grappling with it, I opted for a square of dark chocolate with my morning tea, then didn't eat a real meal until noon or so).

Don't get annoyed just yet. If there's room to drop your carb intake further, (and maybe drop the statins entirely as well), there's hope yet to stick with the dietary solution rather than medication.

Good luck!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Question away..
When you say your T2 has been controlled by low carb diet do you have your HbA1c numbers just so I can see how "controlled" you've been.. if you don't mind sharing of course..
Most people get the dawn effect its how long sugars stay high and how high they go that might be problematic.

Ralphb

Question away..
When you say your T2 has been controlled by low carb diet do you have your HbA1c numbers just so I can see how "controlled" you've been.. if you don't mind sharing of course..
Most people get the dawn effect its how long sugars stay high and how high they go that might be problematic.

Controlled possibly overstating.
Still trying to understand it all even after 5 years
HBA1Cs mmol/mol
May 2015 - 93
July 2015 - 52
Feb 2016 - 44
Apr 2017 - 55
Aug 2018 - 69
July 2019 - 55
Nov 2019 - 48
Nov 2020 - 57

Bit of a rollercoaster when I write it all down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Controlled possibly overstating.
Still trying to understand it all even after 5 years
HBA1Cs mmol/mol
May 2015 - 93
July 2015 - 52
Feb 2016 - 44
Apr 2017 - 55
Aug 2018 - 69
July 2019 - 55
Nov 2019 - 48
Nov 2020 - 57

Bit of a rollercoaster when I write it all down.
A bit but still better results than many Aug 18 aside.. and how long have you been taking the statins?

Gwynn

Oh my goodness. I had never before realised that there is so much nonsense believed and said about our health and medicines.

I always thought that doctors knew best and that all medicines were good.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Statins, it seems, are a good example of this according to the videos from respected researchers I have just seen.

I will stop taking the statins today.

I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and given insulin to inject. One month on I take no insulin and so far everything is working fine. The doctors may have been right but the immediate evidence and the local doctors blood test analysis say otherwise. I could be in remission or a honeymoon period so I will continue daily testing just to check.

I will be reducing my daily carb intake too as it appears that a high carb diet may not be good.

Of course all carefully done with the local doctors agreement and the diabetic nurse approval.

I just don't understand how or why these bad facts about choleserol, carbohydrates, etc got such a hold on everyone.

Could it be to do with where the money is to be made or am I being too cynical?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could it be to do with where the money is to be made or am I being too cynical?
It's certainly one reason there are others though..
Modern medicine is taught as a drug dependent reactive process rather than a whole body healthy approach so the first thing that doctors are taught to do is prescribe for almost everything so, unsurprisingly, that's what they do.
Once your eyes have been opened to this it's quite hard to unsee though.