Atorvastatin

stevesellars

Morning all since being diagnosed oct last year for type 2 I've lost 2st and my sugar levels are coming down, however on my late review my cholesterol was high and my gp has put me on Atorvastatin which I'm managing the only issue is there only 28 days supply due to my job and location it makes it hard to get my repeats, does anyone have any ideas that would help?
So the nurse has referred me to a Desmond course but not received any details after 3 months is that normal?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So much has been written here about Desmond and Statins, it'd fill a library. Much of it NOT complimentary. I can't suggest anything other than great caution before continuing with statins.

They have quite significant side effects on many. There's a lot to consider

Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all since being diagnosed oct last year for type 2 I've lost 2st and my sugar levels are coming down, however on my late review my cholesterol was high and my gp has put me on Atorvastatin which I'm managing the only issue is there only 28 days supply due to my job and location it makes it hard to get my repeats, does anyone have any ideas that would help?
So the nurse has referred me to a Desmond course but not received any details after 3 months is that normal?
Did they do a full lipid panel?
Any idea of the results?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I wouldn't panic if you run out of the statins and have to wait for more supply. A 'Lipids Panel' means a full set of cholesterol tests where each aspect is tested and the results provided e.g. LDL, HLD, Trig etc. These are often done anyway when you have your reviews. They usually involve a fasting test. The total cholesterol figure isn't that much use but the various ratios are. Many GPs don't understand this or care. This website provides figures for 'good' ratios.

stevesellars

HI. I wouldn't panic if you run out of the statins and have to wait for more supply. A 'Lipids Panel' means a full set of cholesterol tests where each aspect is tested and the results provided e.g. LDL, HLD, Trig etc. These are often done anyway when you have your reviews. They usually involve a fasting test. The total cholesterol figure isn't that much use but the various ratios are. Many GPs don't understand this or care. This website provides figures for 'good' ratios.
My last two results.
20210317_095806.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A what? Sorry still learning whats a lipid panel?

It's the breakdown of the cholesterol figures..
HDL, LDL and triglycerides.
Current thinking is that the ratios of these are far more indicative of possible future problems than "Total cholesterol".

GP's and Diabetes Nurses seem fairly ignorant about this though so reach for the statinator prescription pad and the earliest opportunity especially when someone is newly diagnosed with T2.

The more cynical amongst us would say it has something to do with the financial payments that the practise gets when they add a new client to the statin firms..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you did have a lipids panel. The LDL to HDL ratio looks good at the last test. You need to think about whether you need to be on statins or not BUT are the last readings taken when on the statins or not. If they are then that's a different story.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @stevesellars,

Were these tests after you had fasted for about 10 to 12 hours? Or were these levels after you already had some food (and drink other than water)? This is really important to know when interpreting these numbers. Also losing weight as you have done can temporarily raise blood lipids.

Generally speaking, though, the trends seem to be in the right direction. HDL is going up and trigs are going down -- so you seem to making good progress on this front.

Here is a link to another cholesterol calculator, which may help. Just be careful in interpreting the output in case you weren't fasted.

https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

stevesellars

Hi @stevesellars,

Were these tests after you had fasted for about 10 to 12 hours? Or were these levels after you already had some food (and drink other than water)? This is really important to know when interpreting these numbers. Also losing weight as you have done can temporarily raise blood lipids.

Generally speaking, though, the trends seem to be in the right direction. HDL is going up and trigs are going down -- so you seem to making good progress on this front.

Here is a link to another cholesterol calculator, which may help. Just be careful in interpreting the output in case you weren't fasted.

https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php
I wasn't fasting these test were done on my last review end of December about 8.30am so i had breakfast.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't fasting these test were done on my last review end of December about 8.30am so i had breakfast.

Sorry for the late reply -- busy day today unfortunately.

It will probably be difficult to interpret your numbers if these weren't fasting levels. Eating will affect triglyceride and LDL levels. Most reference ranges (on the lab reports), however, are based on fasting levels.

Personally, if it were me, I would probably asked a new test and fast between 10 and 12 hours before -- this would make it easier to interpret the results.

You might also want to have a look at the website cholesterolcode.com by Dave Feldman, who has done lots of research on blood lipids.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@stevesellars keep an eye on your BS as my hba1c went up from 48 to 54 when I started taking Pravostatin. I came off them due to other side effects and will not take them again.