Type 2 atorvastatin

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's always disappointing when a doctor gives false reassurance to someone with an HbA1c of 47, because this is the high end of prediabetes, and proper advice should be given.

It's also extremely disappointing when doctors or nurses tell diabetics they must be on a statin just because they are diabetic, or a certain age or gender... this is ridiculous, unscientific overtreatment. It harms people because they can suffer side effects and risks with no or negligible benefits. Unfortunately patients are often unaware that the decision to go on a statin should be made after taking their individual lipid levels and other risk factors into account. At least we can provide this info to people who find this forum, and save a few people from being harmed.

IF a person's individual lipids and risk factors suggest it, a statin can provide benefits that outweigh the potential side effects and risks. Key word "IF".

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Good to know this Cat, ive never herd of lipid before, thanks
Yeah, lipid means fat, and cholesterol is a type of fat. There are lots of types of fats in the blood so to make it easier they all come under the umbrella term "lipids".

People often think that if we eat food that contains cholesterol, it will pass from the gut into the blood vessels and line our arteries with fat. It doesn't work that way, but as I'm not fully versed in how it does work, I will leave that to someone else, lol.

Teddysmum

Interesting about atorvastatin increasing blood sugar levels.
Until my MOT, in July, I was on simvastatin,but was told that NICE now recommended the atorvastatin, as it's better and now more affordable. Omeprazole was also added as I'm on aspirin.

In July my HbA1c was 49, but now it's 52, but my cholesterol has gone the other way from TL3.9 LDL 1.8 to TL 3.3 LDL1.2.

A

asparagusp

I had slight cholesterol readings for a while, started Carbimazole a couple pf months ago for hyperactive thyroid and my liver function tests are normal despite eats quite bit of unsalted butter and a little wine whilst on holiday!

Anyway http://www.drugs.com is a great website to find out information on drugs that you have been prescribed. Last night I found out there that another drug I am on increases blood sugars! Great!