EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Newcastle team develops world-first lickable diabetes test, rendering finger pricks obsolete - ABC News

Interesting article here, on how researchers have developed a saliva test for blood sugars.

Not sure how well it would work, would you have to rinse your mouth out before testing?

The Australian government has announced $6.3million in funding to build a manufacturing facility for the tests in the Hunter region by the end of 2023.

So sounds like they may be quite close to a workable product....

They are talking about using it for insulin users, so presumably is accurate? Interesting development.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle team develops world-first lickable diabetes test, rendering finger pricks obsolete - ABC News

Interesting article here, on how researchers have developed a saliva test for blood sugars.

Not sure how well it would work, would you have to rinse your mouth out before testing?

The Australian government has announced $6.3million in funding to build a manufacturing facility for the tests in the Hunter region by the end of 2023.

So sounds like they may be quite close to a workable product....

They are talking about using it for insulin users, so presumably is accurate? Interesting development.

Hmm. I'm no scientist. But I wonder if it works on the same principle as to why anyone hypoglycieminc can also fail a breathalizer test?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But I wonder if it works on the same principle as to why anyone hypoglycieminc can also fail a breathalizer test?
I didn't know that. That's scary, making it way too easy for police to assume hypoglycemics are drunk.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know that. That's scary, making it way too easy for police to assume hypoglycemics are drunk.....

They can think that if they are not clued up? "Sober up in the morning after a night in the slammer???"

Long story, I was once breathalized whilst treating a hypo? They'd intially thought I was stealing or robbing my own car.. (It was stionary & parked in a dark area..) it was raiding the glove box after eating the contents of my jacket pocket.
I was breathalised on a handheld, failed & took down the "nick." Then had to blow in a bigger machine at the station & passed...
I'd come back up by then... The cops let me go.. They even drove me back to my vehicle?
I read years later you can fail a breath test whilst low.. ( i felt at the time the device they used needed calibrating.)

This was a long time ago in my youth when the DVLC rules were actually A little unclear regarding diabetes..

I learned the hard way.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Having used the libre now for over 2 years I’m wondering how this would work in practicality , I know when I didn’t take my blood sugar for years was that it was difficult and almost impossible in the job I was doing , the Libre is far more “ work friendly” in my humble opinion .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having used the libre now for over 2 years I’m wondering how this would work in practicality , I know when I didn’t take my blood sugar for years was that it was difficult and almost impossible in the job I was doing , the Libre is far more “ work friendly” in my humble opinion .

Hi,
I wouldn't dissagree.. With the CGM setups it's never been easier regarding keeping an eye on the ball?
The work I'm doing these days, I'm pretty much up to my elbows in dust & muck.
The job I'm currently on (landscaping.) has no working outside tap. So even a simple hand rinse for the classic BG test is not an option. Lol, I suppose I could use my bottled drinking water... :banghead:

It would be fascinating to see how this saliva tech fairs as a "back up" though?