Type 1 Auto-Immune Conditions

How many other auto-immune conditions do you have on top of type 1?

Votes: 5 38.5%

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 1 7.7%

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 3+

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Just looking to see how many type one diabetics suffer from other auto-immune conditions...

If you could comment what they are after the poll vote that would be great....

just looking to expand my knowledge......;)

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in this too. I was diagnosed with MS 3 years ago. I'm also under review for an underactive thyroid.

Reactions: novorapidboi26
Hi,

Just looking to see how many type one diabetics suffer from other auto-immune conditions...

Hello I have had fibromyalgia (12yrs ago) and currently lupus plus type 1 for 36 years

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve tested positive for one of the thyroid antibodies- but my thyroid numbers are so far normal. I understand it’s not uncommon to have positive antibodies but remain subclinical.

I also suspect I might have celiac or gluten intolerance. I suffered from IBS like symptoms that disappeared completely when I went on low carb, and since had the problem come back when I eat bread. I will probably never know if I have celiac or not because the testing involve eating carbs/gluten for a while.

So I have only type 1 diagnosis but feel my other immune conditions are a bit dodgy/unreliable :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm not T1 novorapidboi, but have had exhaustive discussions about auto-immune disease with the Endo I see for my thyroid issues (which do not appear to be AI).

My family, and past family history is littered with AI conditions, from T1 to hyperthyroidism, to rheumatoid arthritis, to fibrosing alveolitis and so on. On the basis the Endo was certain I would test positive for at least one condition, he ordered a huge list of tests - from memory the list was over 30 tests. Who knew there were so many conditions out there?

Actually, much to his astonishment, I tested negative or inconclusive to each and every one.

He is certain they're lining up for me (there's a heart-warming thought), and warned me if I develop one condition that I need to have that raft of tests re-run.

On that basis, as far as I understand it, when it comes to AI conditions, the world is your veritable lobster.

Outlawe

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad to see an Autoimmune discussion starting here. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (ie overactive Thyroid) about 5 years before my diagnosis for diabetes about 23 years ago. Graves disease was treated and I now take daily thryoxine. Autoimmune diseases are common in my family so I disputed my Type 2 diagnosis for some time and was eventually only re-categorised at Type 1 in 2015 after changing consultant. What a difference a Type makes despite being IDDM Type 2 for so long. As a Type 1 (or probably at Type 1.5) I've been getting adequate test strips and superb regular support from my DSN.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your contributions.....

Due to this coronovirus I have had some interesting conversations recently about our immune systems and also the genetic markers that are present with type one that are also shared with other conditions...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have Coeliac disease, Oral Lichen Planus and Osteoporosis, which is still under review of an auto-immune condition.