Auto immune Hepatitis

Ann10536

I am undergoing tests for Auto Immune Hepatitis. Early stages yet but the consultant said it may be connected to my type 2 diabetes. I have quite a complex health profile, Lupus, Ulcerative Colitis and a number of heart problems. Anyone out there familiar with this condition?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @Ann10536 :) Giving your post a bump, hopefully someone will come along soon who can comment, best wishes J

Ann10536

Thanks for that! My diagnosis has moved on a little since then and it might not be auto immune hepatitis. How ever, I do have Lupus and Ulceritive Colitis. No one is sure what is causing my raised liver enzymes but according to the consultant, it could be related to the diabetes T2, one of the medications I am on for my heart, the Ulceritive Colitis, (which is currently dormant) or something else. I am waiting for a liver biospy. Auto immune conditions seem inter related in quite complex ways and I am not sure if further variety occurs as depending on whether or not it is type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Just thankful for the NHS.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With your raised liver enzyme, it would be best to advoid all suger, fruitose and alcohol until it is sorted out. This includes fruit.

Both alcohol and fruitose can result in liver fat that can then show up as increased liver enzyme. The scans the NHS do for fatty liver does not always show it up.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Ann
Sorry I’m late in replying, I don’t log on very often.
I have autoimmune hepatitis and have been T1D since age 4, that’s 54 years ago now. ( had a shock when I just counted that up!). I was diagnosed with the autoimmune hepatitis in 2002, after a liver biopsy. It hasn’t had much effect on me, as I was already living with Systemic Lupus and diffuse scleroderma, along with a few other autoimmune conditions. I just seem to have been dealt a bunch of lemons, but I don’t let any of them get me down. Trying to keep on being positive helps as much as the medication.
Have you had your biopsy yet to confirm your diagnosis? How are you feeling? I get really fatigued, but they all could cause that What meds have they given you for the a i hep? I’m on hydroxychloroquine.
Best wishes

Reactions: Brunneria

Ann10536

Hello Ann
I have autoimmune hepatitis and have been T1D since age 4, that’s 54 years ago now. ( had a shock when I just counted that up!). I was diagnosed with the autoimmune hepatitis in 2002, after a liver biopsy. It hasn’t had much effect on me, as I was already living with Systemic Lupus and diffuse scleroderma, along with a few other autoimmune conditions. I just seem to have been dealt a bunch of lemons, but I don’t let any of them get me down. Trying to keep on being positive helps as much as the medication.
Have you had your biopsy yet to confirm your diagnosis? How are you feeling? I get really fatigued, but they all could cause that What meds have they given you for the a i hep? I’m on hydroxychloroquine.
Best wishes
Hello Ann
Best wishes

Ann10536

Hi Deb1million,

It is good to hear from you. I had the liver biopsy on Friday and I have a liver scan coming up. The liver biopsy was via the jugular and was pretty unpleasant so I am grateful that is over and done with. I have had the blood results which show raised ANA levels, which are related to Lupus but it is not clear if the raised levels also indicate autoimmune liver disease. Unless they discover something nasty, then I am not expecting to hear the results of the liver biopsy until after the ultrasound. I have been told I have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, which I understand is related to type 2 diabetes. Perhaps this is the link. I am on hydroxychlorquine as well, this could also be a culprit. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003 and I do think it has seriously underminded my health. Autoimmune conditions are trouble! All the females on my fathers side of the family have type 1 diabetes and on my mothers side of the family have type 2. We all have heart problems. Can it get more complex! Sometimes it is difficult to work out what is going on!

/

Reactions: Deb1million

Ann10536

With your raised liver enzyme, it would be best to advoid all suger, fruitose and alcohol until it is sorted out. This includes fruit.

Both alcohol and fruitose can result in liver fat that can then show up as increased liver enzyme. The scans the NHS do for fatty liver does not always show it up.

Hello, thank you for picking up the thread. Over the last five years, since a mild heart attack, my liver enzymes have become very variable, sometimes normal, sometimes raised. I do have fatty liver disease, which I read is associated with type 2 diabetes. For most of my life, I have been a big fruit eater, though I don't drink. There are two medications I take which could also be in the mix for their effect on liver enzyme's. It is all very complicated. I am reducing my sugar in take and thrown out the fruit bowl.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ann
Your jugular liver biopsy sounds rotten! I felt bad enough when they went through my rib cage. Do you know the cause of your heart attack? Were you already type 2 at the time? My parents both died of heart problems, and I’m living in hope I can dodge that for a while yet!
I know what you mean when you don’t know which coondion to blame for how bad you might be feeling, it’s an uphill struggle most days. My other autoimmune things are sarcoidosis in my spleen, (and currently they’re investigating a lump in my lungs,) and autoimmune vasculitis, affecting my eyes. I’ve recently lost 75% of my vision due to a problem behind my strongest eye (not retinopathy they say) my remaining eye was always ‘lazy’, so I can’t see much now. The doctors keep saying these things are not due to bad control of my diabetes, just unexplained bad luck. I try not to dwell on it all too much, and I could list many more diagnosed conditions, but I’ve gone enough off-topic, as we’re talking about your autoimmune hepatitis!
Keep smiling, it’s the only way. xx

Ann10536

Hello all who responded to my post. After 18 months I now have some clarity on the raised liver enzymes.
It has certainly taken a while to sort it all out. I have developed Primary Sclerosing Chongalitis as a result of also suffering for decades from Ulcerative Colitis. As far as know I don't think there is no direct connection with Type 2 diabetes except it having a digestive aspect but there is a link between cardiovascular problems, both forms of diabetes and psb. It is another autoimmune condition and as you suggest Deb1million, you get one.....and then you get another!