Autophagy in Type 1 Diabetes

funksolaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, I'm a type 1 really interested in low carb/keto/fasting & specifically autophagy for all round health, longevity etc. I recently read (in The Switch, Clement & Loberg) the fasting blood sugars should be 4.2-4.9 mm/l for autophagy to actually kick in. Has anyone else heard this confirmed elsewhere? I've done a number of 24hr+ fasts and was probably rarely sitting snuggly & consistently in such a narrow (low!) range. Currently working my way through Siim Land's meteoric Metabolic Autophagy which hopefully will shed more light, but would appreciate discussing this with any other type 1 diabetics interested. Thanks.

autophagy.jpg

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Hi everyone, I'm a type 1 really interested in low carb/keto/fasting & specifically autophagy for all round health, longevity etc. I recently read (in The Switch, Clement & Loberg) the fasting blood sugars should be 4.2-4.9 mm/l for autophagy to actually kick in. Has anyone else heard this confirmed elsewhere? I've done a number of 24hr+ fasts and was probably rarely sitting snuggly & consistently in such a narrow (low!) range. Currently working my way through Siim Land's meteoric Metabolic Autophagy which hopefully will shed more light, but would appreciate discussing this with any other type 1 diabetics interested. Thanks.

View attachment 39384
HI. Just came across your post here 2 years late (sorry). I am also looking at the benefits of autophagy in type 1 but also generally for health. Did you find an answer to your question above? I think it would be unlikely that you would need to be consistently that low as surely restricting all nutrients for long periods such as you are/were and in particular on keto diet should automatically trigger your body into autophagy? Really interested to hear if you have any more information on this though?

funksolaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI. Just came across your post here 2 years late (sorry). I am also looking at the benefits of autophagy in type 1 but also generally for health. Did you find an answer to your question above? I think it would be unlikely that you would need to be consistently that low as surely restricting all nutrients for long periods such as you are/were and in particular on keto diet should automatically trigger your body into autophagy? Really interested to hear if you have any more information on this though?
Hi Maryrachel, sorry for my late reply. I couldn't login to my account! I've never heard anyone else confirm it, however I do aim for bloods in that range or rather don't panic in that range even though it is precipitous for a type 1 diabetic! I've actually moved over to intermittent fasting (32hrs once a week) as frankly it's simpler than keto, gets me into ketosis quickly and allows metabolic flexibility (something keto severely impaired). There's nothing written in detail specifically for T1D on this subject, so I feel I may try and write one at some point!