Avocados in Hot Keto Meals

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello . . .

This week I bought my very first Avocados :)

Have been on Keto/LCHF diet for years, so I don't know why it took so long to get around to this . . .

I turn to the forum for some suggestions how to include Avocado in HOT meals?

I don't really like to eat cold food, I rarely eat salads unless they include something hot (usually bacon) . . . I just have a big preference for cooked/hot meals . . .

My first cooking with Avocado this week was a stir-fry . . . I looked online and saw that they can be included in a stir-fry, and this was successful :) . . . will do this again . . .

I'm interested to know any other forum members' recipes where Avocado is included in a hot Keto/LCHF dish, either as part of the dish itself or as an accompaniment??

Antony

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello . . .

This week I bought my very first Avocados :)

Have been on Keto/LCHF diet for years, so I don't know why it took so long to get around to this . . .

I turn to the forum for some suggestions how to include Avocado in HOT meals?

I don't really like to eat cold food, I rarely eat salads unless they include something hot (usually bacon) . . . I just have a big preference for cooked/hot meals . . .

My first cooking with Avocado this week was a stir-fry . . . I looked online and saw that they can be included in a stir-fry, and this was successful :) . . . will do this again . . .

I'm interested to know any other forum members' recipes where Avocado is included in a hot Keto/LCHF dish, either as part of the dish itself or as an accompaniment??

Antony

I can take or leave avocado, so have no idea myself, although I do accept the are nutritionally good, and a decent source of fats, for those of us who work at keeping our weight up. (OK, I know that's plain old odd, but that's describe me quite well. :)

Hopefully others will have input soon.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had it cooked a couple of times, @diamondnostril , when I've eaten out, and although I love cold, raw avocado it becomes very different when heated or cooked - I didn't really care for it, to be honest! Now I've read your post though it's encouraged me to try to cook it as part of a meal myself - am adding an extra avocado to next week's shopping order for the purpose!
:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As the avo queen, I don't like it cooked at all. As @Snapsy said it changes everything. However, if after the food is cooked and plated then it can be chopped or sliced in and it's great. But not cooked, just added after. I made chili and soup and chopped some in after it was in the bowl. Surprised how good it was.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love hot avocado.

My favourite methods (so far) are:
- adding it to soup, in chunks or blitzed to smoothness
- using a shallow wide oven dish, add chunk of avo, diced tomato (or salsa). Make a hollow in middle. Crack an egg into the hollow. Sprinkle a little cheese on top. Bake until egg is cooked to your preference. The reason you don't want much cheese is that a thick layer will stop the egg from cooking, while a skimpy layer will let the egg dry out.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
love these sliced and sauteed as a chip substitute

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rarely eat avocados hot, but you could try them with prawns in an omelette which I find is a tasty combination, or as a side dish with crispy bacon. For this latter I use my standard "essential" avocado mix - mashed with lime juice, olive oil, chopped garlic & basil leaves, topped with grated parmesan and either a sprinkle of pine nuts or chopped pistachios, and just slightly warm it. (This mix actually freezes well too so I tend to make it in batches in little containers.)

Robbity

Reactions: lou258

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst we're coming out of the ideal time of year, you could do them, quickly on the BBQ, or in a hot, ridged griddle pan, to achieve the desires scorch marks over the contact surface. You could do that with something like halloumi ?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it to make a prawn tia curry with coconut cream, chillis, ginger, garlic, lemon grass and mashed avocado- fry if your spices to release the favour add your coconut cream heat add your prawn and your avocado and once prawns are cooked-remove lemon grass finished with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of fresh coriander and serve with cauliflower rice or courgetti

Reactions: lou258

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I've just seen a recipe for avocado 'chips' where you cut them into chip shapes, dip them in lime juice then egg wash and coat them with ground pork scratchings (with dried herbs mixed in if you like) then stick them in the oven until cooked - about 15 mins or golden brown

BenPayne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hear a lot and saw a lot of recipes with avocado, but i don't feel anything good to avocado, so skip all food related to this fruit(

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just seen a recipe for avocado 'chips' where you cut them into chip shapes, dip them in lime juice then egg wash and coat them with ground pork scratchings (with dried herbs mixed in if you like) then stick them in the oven until cooked - about 15 mins or golden brown

Thank you soooo much for this Post, @thepolly!!!

I made these Avocado Chips this evening, and they were absolutely delicious . . . Hot, Keto, Tasty, Crunchy :):):):)

Thanks! :)
Antony

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Some recipes for panini include Avocado; variants on tuna melt.

Just tried a Lidl roll in a panini press for the first time and it worked well :)