Avocados

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I don't eat bread so that's out but sounds wonderful
I used to always just make a whole one I to guacamole and eat some with all meals. Lately I have been making a chop salad with finely chopped lettuce scallion red onion purple cabbage radish and a pinch of carrot for color. Then add some protein a little mayo, lemon juice and avocado chunks. Love it. Good and gooey and very filling.
I always thought of a smoothie but only avocado works for BF. No other carbs or veggies. Do you think thinning it with a little water, add seasonings and blend would work? I don't do dairy either so no milk or cream or cheese. I just want avocado but not sure if water would make it gross. Maybe I'll try and see. I guess that's the only way to find out.

It might make it a bit watery, but worth giving it a go:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think I can eat plain avocado on its own and I am sure a lot of people would agree with me. I use it in any kind of sandwiches, salad and vegetable stir fries. I love it with a little bit of salt and balsamic vinegar. I only eat it because I was told it has a lot of good fat, otherwise I do t think I will include it in my grocery shopping list. Now I buy them every week. Thank God for avocados.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It might make it a bit watery, but worth giving it a go:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Thinking about it I would still want it thick, like pudding and eat it with a spoon or maybe a little thinner with a straw. Looks like some experimenting in the future. I never met an avocado I didn't like. Haha

Reactions: 2 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have another suggestion if you find avocados difficult to stomach. Just put it in smoothies with a lot of other fruits. That would be good for breakfast, fast and easy, and very tasty.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat bread so that's out but sounds wonderful
I used to always just make a whole one I to guacamole and eat some with all meals. Lately I have been making a chop salad with finely chopped lettuce scallion red onion purple cabbage radish and a pinch of carrot for color. Then add some protein a little mayo, lemon juice and avocado chunks. Love it. Good and gooey and very filling.
I always thought of a smoothie but only avocado works for BF. No other carbs or veggies. Do you think thinning it with a little water, add seasonings and blend would work? I don't do dairy either so no milk or cream or cheese. I just want avocado but not sure if water would make it gross. Maybe I'll try and see. I guess that's the only way to find out.

The salad you describe sounds amazing, just like something I would like! What kind of mayo do you use? I like Lidl mayo, as it is low in carbs and protein, but I am not too happy with its vegetable oils.

I am not sure about changing the smoothie recipe, as I am more successful when I stick to a recipe. However, I cannot imagine why I should not work to whizz an avocado with seasonings that fit, a bit of lime or lemon and maybe a bit of water or a type of milk. I like my smoothies very thick and creamy though.

By the way, I am not eating 'real' bread at the moment. Right now I have a large batch of a courgette bread with coconut flour and eggs, and a tiny amount of banana. Before that I had a linseed-egg bread from this site.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The salad you describe sounds amazing, just like something I would like! What kind of mayo do you use? I like Lidl mayo, as it is low in carbs and protein, but I am not too happy with its vegetable oils.

I am not sure about changing the smoothie recipe, as I am more successful when I stick to a recipe. However, I cannot imagine why I should not work to whizz an avocado with seasonings that fit, a bit of lime or lemon and maybe a bit of water or a type of milk. I like my smoothies very thick and creamy though.

By the way, I am not eating 'real' bread at the moment. Right now I have a large batch of a courgette bread with coconut flour and eggs, and a tiny amount of banana. Before that I had a linseed-egg bread from this site.
The mayo I use is called JustMayo by Joy. It's non GMO expeller pressed canola oil. Vegan, gluten, dairy and egg free. Tastes great. Very creamy. I love it mixed with horseradish sauce, mustard or hot sauce. I love creamy and gooey foods. The chopped salad is my new fav. I pre hop all the veggies other than lettuce and store in containers. Then all I need to do us assemble. I have goot n very lazy it's meals and keep things simple and fresh. Why go through all that trouble when simple tastes so good, right ? I actually prefer most protein cold mixed with veggies mayo and avocado.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mayo I use is called JustMayo by Joy. It's non GMO expeller pressed canola oil. Vegan, gluten, dairy and egg free. Tastes great. Very creamy. I love it mixed with horseradish sauce, mustard or hot sauce. I love creamy and gooey foods. The chopped salad is my new fav. I pre hop all the veggies other than lettuce and store in containers. Then all I need to do us assemble. I have goot n very lazy it's meals and keep things simple and fresh. Why go through all that trouble when simple tastes so good, right ? I actually prefer most protein cold mixed with veggies mayo and avocado.

Thanks, @Kristin251. I made the salad this morning and had it for lunch and dinner. It was really good, with some tuna and mayo :) I prefer mayo with eggs, so I stick to my cheap Lidl mayo at the moment ;) Tesco sells small avos for 50p each. They are perfectly sized for one meal for me!

I like your attitude. Simple foods, prepared in large batches, creaminess with good amounts of fat :hungry:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to eat mine mashed with a little tomato paste and a dollop of sour cream, and some salt & pepper. For a slightly more substantial meal: chop, warm slightly and mix with crispy fried bacon and pinenuts, or together with king prawns they make a tasty filling for an omelette.

They can also be, more exotically, made into chocolate mousse and there are various recipes around for doing this - ask Google. (But I've not tried this option....yet!)!

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Avocado souffle is lovely. Haven't got with me at moment cos I'm on hol.. Recommended though.