Avoiding complications / progression of disease

delphi

Tonight have been reading all sorts on diabetic complications and wish I hadn't. So the received wisdom is to keep HBac1 at 43 mmol/mol (non diabetic reference range ), but with a target of 48 mmol/mol in order to help AVOID complications. What does this actually mean - it there any up-to-date set of data to suggest that keeping blood sugar at these relatively low / normal levels means complications WON'T arise ? Why would the complications occur at these 'normal' levels. I'm a little confused about this. Have achieved HBac1 of 47 after 3 months from diagnosis 57 at diagnosis ( with no symptoms )).

Thanks.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about stopping the complications altogether by keeping ones BS in the normal range as much as possible, but you can delay or reduce the effect of the complications.

For instance with me my BS hit the teens to the 20's around 6 months ago and I had a new prescription for glasses, now I have my BS back to more normal I had to have a new eye test as my vision had altered. My eyes have returned to normal shape and should hopefully reduce any blood vessel damage that would of happened sooner if I had not got my BS back down.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This seems a very important topic though i don't see any activity over here. I have been reading a lot of scientific papers lately and i am going to give just one example. The quickest complication that happens if your blood sugar is out of control is the retinopathy. See the chart below from a study and understand the FPG, PPG and A1C levels where the complications actually start picking up. You can see that the cut point here is really the A1C of 5.2%, Fasting of 5.2 mmol/l and PPG of 6.5. I cant find other charts for all other complications but i am sure the safest point in all those were between 5% to 5.2% of A1C levels. I hope this helps.
a1c to retinopathy.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @zamalik
Could you please give the source of the info you just quoted? Thank you!

Also, this thread is over 7 years old, so you may not get a response from the posters above.