B/S has jumped now..have I finally stopped honey mooning

alf15

Hi Guys,

Ive been a type 1 since November. And My B/s have been good nearly always to till now. The past three days or so my b/s after a meal has been coming in around 10 - 12's. I havent changed my food intake. This morning like every morning I have ate 2 weetabix an apple and a Benecol drink (which is pretty low in sugar), normally I would take 3 shots of novarapid I would come in around the 6-7 range after it, but the past few days my b/s has doubled nearly. I have just took an extra shot of novarpaid to bring it back down before lunch time.

Now im on calvepen antibioxtic for a tooth abcess the past few days? Would this be the reason for b/s rising or have I finally stop honey mooning?

Thanks

Alan

C

catherinecherub

Hi Alfie,
I am not a type 1 but do know that infections increase blood sugar levels.
You will see an improvement once the infection has passed.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Heath

Hi Alan,

I hope you mean 3 units, not 3 shots, oh too painful fisrt thing in hte morning :)

Sometimes you can have a honeymoon period after diagnosis where at the end, BG will jump and insulin will need to be adjusted accordingly, other times you just get high readings for no apparent reason

Heath

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
Yes it COULD be the infection putting your Bgs up. Once it comes under control, you should see a big improvement.
However, an even bigger one would come about if you change that Weetabix breakfast for a scrambled egg.and the apple for some berries. Check the total carbs in Weetabix.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi alf15,

It's most likely to be the infection raising your sugars. Antibiotics also have a tendancy to do it.

You'll need to raise your dose to cover the highs for now, but be prepared to drop it again once
things improve and you finish the antibiotics.

Regards,
timo.

alf15

Thanks guys, just on the carbs in weetabix.

I was told by my diabetic team to always have carbs at meal times, they told me to go brown with everything, brown pasta, brown rice, brown bread etc.

I understand less carbs = less insulin...but if I cover the carbs with the correct insulin then there shouldnt be a problem right?

A typical meals would usally consist of:

Breaki: Novarapid = 3

2 Weetabix, apple and benecol drink.

Lunch: Novarapid = 4

Knorr Chicken noddle soap & 1 brown bread and plain chicken sandwich on brown bread.
or
Scrambled eggs, bacon no fat and 4 pieces of brown bread.

Dinner: Nova rapid = 6

Spag Boll (lean mince) with brown pasta
or
Shepard pie and maybe a few oven chips
or
Brown rice / Home made chicken curry (Just curry sauce and chicken breast)
or
Brown pasta and chicken breast ina a spag bol sauce.
or
Plain grilled chicken breast and mash patato's

I usally always come in around 6-7 after my meals.

I'm going on a carb counting course soon so i can adjust my insulin to carb intake.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Alan,

I think you are right to stick to your diabetic care advice for now - especially as you're still fairly new to it all. You will hear a lot about lo-carb and no doubt experience a lot of opinions on it. My advice to you on that is to take the time to read up on lo-carbing and make a decision for yourself.

I've been diabetic for 3 years and have only just been taught carb counting. I am doing everything I can to make that work, as I believe in a balanced approach.

If you want to read about lo-carbing Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a very pro-lo-carb book. I am yet to find a balanced view on the subject, but am still open to any new research.

Keep monitoring your blood sugar as the infection finishes - an if you still think the honeymoon is over contact your diabetes nurse.

Keep up the good work,
Sam.