Type 2 B12 High?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Vitamin B12 reading came higher than normal. As I take metformin, which apparently can cause low absorption of B12, i take B12 supplements. It looks like I maybe ending up with too much of B12. Has anyone faced this? Should i cut down dosage? Will see doctor next week.

Any thoughts or experiences will be helpful

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is plenty of B12 in various animal products.

Sources include:
  • meat
  • salmon
  • cod
  • milk
  • cheese
  • eggs
  • some fortified breakfast cereals
If you eat these foods regularly, you probably do not need supplements. It seems clear to me that you don't need them.

Reactions: Shas3

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand Vit B12 isn't toxic so there's no problem regarding having 'too much' so I wouldn't be concerned that your levels are high.

It's clear that you are absorbing the tablets well enough and, probably, B12 from the foods you eat. As @Bluetit1802 suggests, by eating the foods listed on a regular basis, you possibly don't need suppliments, after all

I'm on Metformin too, but also antacids and meds for gastritis which has caused me to become unable to absorb Vit B12 via the gut and, therefore, do self-inject to correct the deficit. I'm just 'jealous' you can absorb it ;) LOL

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shas3 - My personal viewpoint is that I don't supplement, unless there is a need to. I do currently supplement my B12. I have never taken Metformin, but as my thyroid hs struggled in recent times, my B12 levels have fallen (this is quite commonplace).

As suggested, B12 is a water soluable vitamin and usualy higher levels are dealt with by naturally passing it out in the urine.

In your shoes, I'd give the supplement a rest, and retest in a while to see what's happened to the levels.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I think I should give the supplements a break...

thanks a lot.

Reactions: Bluetit1802