B12

helenannb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was only when a doctor who happened to be sitting next to me on a flight noticed that my nails curved over the ends of my fingers that I was alerted to possible anaemia. I dismissed the idea at first as I eat a good diet, but then on the internet I stumbled across the link between long-term metformin use and B12. Sure enough, once I reported to my doctor, I was suffering from pernicious anaemia. I now take iron and folate tablets daily and have B12 injections. Initially they were every 12 weeks but now shortened to 8 weeks. They seem to keep neuropathy at bay - when I'm due for a jab I start to get symptoms + an energy slump.

Reactions: AloeSvea and jjraak

Carol Bennett

I ended up in hospital after a massive b12 deficiency caused by Metformin and now have to have regular injections to replace my b12..has anyone else suffered this ??
I have recently found that I am B12 deficient after taking metformin for more than ten years and am now have to have B12 injections for life - I am not happy with the situation - no medical professional has ever mentioned to me that metformin can affect my B12 levels!!!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently found that I am B12 deficient after taking metformin for more than ten years and am now have to have B12 injections for life - I am not happy with the situation - no medical professional has ever mentioned to me that metformin can affect my B12 levels!!!
So sorry to hear that .

While it likely can't be pinpointed to the Metformin, the point no one mentioned it as a possibility is, imho, damning on the HCP's responsible for prescribing WITHOUT highlighting the potential risk.

It's just NOT good enough to have it printed on the packets leaflet

Far too many will take a medicine prescribed by a doctor as being safe for their condition, without analyzing the medication.

(I know I did, until I learned better )

While not of help to you, sadly.
It's a valid reason ANYONE on Metformin should be offered a B12 test annually .

Best wishes going forward @Carol Bennett

ian15216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brexit,!
Yes, but I was lucky in that I developed burning mouth syndrome when I was only mildly deficient in B12 so it was caught early. So far I have only needed one injection. I have stopped taking metformin.
what do you take in place of metformin?thanks

ian15216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brexit,!
So sorry to hear that .

While it likely can't be pinpointed to the Metformin, the point no one mentioned it as a possibility is, imho, damning on the HCP's responsible for prescribing WITHOUT highlighting the potential risk.

It's just NOT good enough to have it printed on the packets leaflet

Far too many will take a medicine prescribed by a doctor as being safe for their condition, without analyzing the medication.

(I know I did, until I learned better )

While not of help to you, sadly.
It's a valid reason ANYONE on Metformin should be offered a B12 test annually .

Best wishes going forward @Carol Bennett
ive been getting these injections for years now.....every time i had it ,i didnt like the pain,and few months ago the pain lasted a week!,,got another nurse ,so i told her,,,so she said she would give me a kids needle?,,,wow...NO PAIN!.........didnt know they had different size needles?........i started to run out of the jag,roughly 3 weeks before my next jag,,,and i would feel horrible/tired and listless...blurry eyes etc,,,so ive asked for a daily .vit,b 12 tablet ,which im now taking,,,,,,,,,3 month ,i will get cheched see if its ok?

Reactions: jjraak

ian15216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brexit,!
when i got told .i was shocked .as they didnt tell me until i got ill!!!....i now tell people and not one of them know about it also?,,i think its shocking?not to let people know?

ian15216

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brexit,!
It was only when a doctor who happened to be sitting next to me on a flight noticed that my nails curved over the ends of my fingers that I was alerted to possible anaemia. I dismissed the idea at first as I eat a good diet, but then on the internet I stumbled across the link between long-term metformin use and B12. Sure enough, once I reported to my doctor, I was suffering from pernicious anaemia. I now take iron and folate tablets daily and have B12 injections. Initially they were every 12 weeks but now shortened to 8 weeks. They seem to keep neuropathy at bay - when I'm due for a jab I start to get symptoms + an energy slump.
same woulsd happen to me.too the jag wasnt lasting and was wearing thin around 9 weeks......it was horrible feeling of tiredness,etc,,,,ive asked to get a daily vit b 12 tablet,,so hopefully i will be ok?they said they will check me in 3 month,,,,,,,

• Hug

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what do you take in place of metformin?thanks
Nothing. I was only taking metformin to try to reduce my insulin resistance so that I could lose weight.

Since stopping metformin I have started learning to play walking football and this has helped tone my muscles so that they are able to use the fuel I give them more effectively. I have largely kept to the same low carb diet that I was on before but I believe my insulin resistance has reduced as I have lost 17 pounds in the last 12 months. I am now at my lightest weight for 19 years. Still alot left to lose though.

niglo

I ended up in hospital after a massive b12 deficiency caused by Metformin and now have to have regular injections to replace my b12..has anyone else suffered this ??
First of all B12 and other vitamins should be tested regularly. The symptoms are easy to attribute when you know you have a deficiency, but not if you ignore them and think you are just under the weather. Your GP should have tested you before. Mine discovered that I had been under with B12 for the last 3 years! Certainly this last year, but not before as they never bothered about tests during Covid!. So now you know, but keep reminding your GP about getting those vitamins checked (on the Metformin information paper inside). If you don't help yourself, nobody will. A vitamin seems trivial but when you end up in hospital it becomes life threatening. Take Care!

• Informative

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a stickler for looking at the fillers in supplements and tend to go for no fillers. This is what I was prescribed as my B12 and I was disappointed to see all the other ingredients stuffed into the pill. Purified talc? Aspartame? Amongst others. It tasted sweet too.
I am on injections now as unable to absorb B12 in tablet form.

• Informative

mkashani

Been on metformin for couple of decades now. Had no side effects. But as a matter of routine I have recently added B12 to my daily supplements. Will investigate this with My GP. Thanks for sharing.

• Friendly

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First of all B12 and other vitamins should be tested regularly. The symptoms are easy to attribute when you know you have a deficiency, but not if you ignore them and think you are just under the weather. Your GP should have tested you before. Mine discovered that I had been under with B12 for the last 3 years! Certainly this last year, but not before as they never bothered about tests during Covid!. So now you know, but keep reminding your GP about getting those vitamins checked (on the Metformin information paper inside). If you don't help yourself, nobody will. A vitamin seems trivial but when you end up in hospital it becomes life threatening. Take Care!
Not sure where you are based in the world @niglo

I'm over sixty & never had them tested in UK until DX & I asked, due to information I found on here.
(May be different where you are ? )

Perhaps picking you up wrong, but if the symptoms are so clear, I wonder why even under covid, you weren't more vociferous in asking & getting tested sooner ..3 years is a long wait ?

And reading the leaflet side effects, just isn't sufficient in my eyes.

I have asthma, and I've lost count of the number of times I've been prescribed meds, and the pharmacist still has to check verbally with me I can tolerate them well.

Sure it's in the small print, but they double check for safety reasons, because it matters... Metformin should be the same, imho.

A simple question which brings it to our attention...because it matters.

I think, having read up a little
(film under my signature explains it much better & is well worth a watch)
It looks like people affected can really not be aware they are low, until it's too late & injections are required.
For some that can be life long.

Issue is B12 deficiency can show up in various forms, pointing to various illnesses...

Throw in a set of personal circumstance and it's easy to see how doctors & HCP could misinterpret the signs.

Hence, why I believe we all need to be aware at least to the possibility Metformin MIGHT be one of the reasons, and why it's incumbent upon us to take note ourselves, if so many doctors are failing to check those prescribed Metformin .

Take care.

• Informative
Reactions: DiabeticBloke1

Dawn3010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

HI Mick, I had pernicious anaemia a long time before diabetes diagnosed. You will also need to keep a check on your haemoglobin and iron levels. With your b12 injections you need to take folic acid as well. Hope this helps

• Useful
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks. Further to my previous post regarding Vitamin B12 on 4 Dec 22, partly copied here:
("In a blood test a couple of years ago, my B12 levels were extremely low. I had to have a few B12 injections. After the first course, the nurse suggested that instead of the needle I should have the B12 spray (under the tongue, once a week), which is less painful and a lot easier.")

Well, I continue to squirt the (Over-The-Counter, quite nice tasting) stuff under my tongue, 2 squirts once a week, and I've just had my latest blood test results returned.

My B12 levels have risen from 194 pg/mL (too low) to 505 (perfectly normal) over a period of a couple of years. "Ideal" B12 level is apparently above 300 pg/mL (depending on which website you read!).

Sadly for me however, my HbA1c levels have also risen, resulting in the introduction of a new drug for me, Trajenta (linagliptin) and more work needed to get that level back down!!! :mad:

It is important to tell you (and I should probably do this on a different thread) that linagliptin is taken INSTEAD of the Ozempic pen (which is still unobtainable in Australia). My GP warned me that both drugs must NOT be taken at the same time (at least in my case anyway, with my heart condition). It's one or the other. I'll revert back to the pen, if and when Ozempic becomes available again. Meanwhile I continue taking 1000mg of metformin every day (and walking for 40 minutes every day of the week!). LUXURY! :rolleyes: Cheers, DB1.