Back, Hi and Sorry!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey lovely old friends and potential new ones,

Was determined not to slink in quietly through the back door after vanishing so suddenly (and after making such a promising start!) a few months back. Have missed you all intensely but needed to settle some issues, come to terms with others and deal with yet more stuff before I felt able to return and contribute honestly and openly as I did before as part of an ongoing management strategy (gosh, that sounds SO formal...).

Life happens. And, it turns out, no matter your level of discipline and good intentions, it's easy to get knocked off your perch if you're not expecting it.

Still. Some 6 months after moving house (the proverbial knock from the last paragraph) and I find my head - and life - is in the right place to climb back up and start actively participating in this wonderful community as part of a renewed plan to actively manage my T2 and, thus, resume control of my health and life generally. I hope I can be of some use / entertainment occasionally.

It turns out, you lot are ludicrously good for my mental health <3

New DN and HbA1c results tomorrow. I'm calling it Day One (in spite of having been diagnosed June last year - everyone gets a do-over, right?) and aiming to start right back where I left off (with a few plot twists - see blog. Warning: a bit sweary and frank. Prolly not for the faint of heart).

Am very much looking forward to catching up with old friends and learning about newcomers, helping where I can and otherwise misbehaving just a little bit.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, @therower - like the new avatar pic! Hope you've been well. Am catching up on your posts now and will be taking your sage advice at the appointment with the new DN tomorrow.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, @therower - like the new avatar pic! Hope you've been well. Am catching up on your posts now and will be taking your sage advice at the appointment with the new DN tomorrow.
Doing just fine thanks. Better if wasn't going work shortly, but hey ho.
Good luck with your new DN.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you again @SockFiddler, 'fatted calf' awaits (along with tons of luscious colourful veges of your choice!).

Best of luck with your renewed journey - and DN - and HbA1c - and everything else along the way.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to have you back!

And yes, moving home is (for me) horrendously stressful. I am in awe of ppl who do it regularly, and would be happy if I never have to do it again this lifetime!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi SockFiddler! All the best tomorrow x

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, here's the thing (and gosh how I smiled and thought of you, @therower ).

In spite of my recent fall back into (what I thought were) my previous bad habits (not taking meds properly, getting back onto the carbs, not regularly testing) since at least November, my HbA1c came back as...

50!

That's 7 down from diagnosis back in June. That's 2 away from "target" (apparently set at 48 for this particular surgery). That's certainly better than I was expecting. Apparently I've also lost 20kg (I don't believe this and put the number closer to 12, which is still ridiculous) and my BP is down and back within normal range.

DN was a company girl, sadly. I got the Eatwell Plate lecture and the "You need to eat carbs" and then remembered some good advice I was once given and let it all go over my head. DN's job will now be to take my blood and give me the results.

And then I sit down to report back and find all these lovely replies.

Thanks, guys <3

Reactions: Brunneria

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's great to have you back in the fold, Sock and I see from your last comment that it is a slimmer, healthier Sockfiddler to boot! Well done, you.

How is your youngster doing? Settling into a new enviroment I hope.

Reactions: Biggles2

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just nod and smile ,then eat to your meter!!
CAROL

Reactions: Incyb

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @SockFiddler
50 isn't bad from what you were saying and a good starting point to see if you can get even better results.