Back in Control...and worried.

CaitlinP

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the site and was hoping for a little insight and your thoughts on what I have been experiencing the past few weeks.

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 24 years, I was diagnosed when I was 3. Over the past 8 years or so my blood sugar levels have wavered from being controlled to NOT at all and same with my diabetes. I hit my burnout point and was just done with being a diabetic. From this I had a high a1c for a long time (ranging from 10.7%-8.0%) and after an eye appointment last year where I was told there were minor changes in my retina I freaked. Being the age that I am I realized that I still have a long life to live and I wasn't helping myself out at all. But, things don't change overnight and it took me a while to get back into the habit of caring for myself and my diabetes.
For the past month I have been very focused on my diet, insulin and exercise but I am starting to notice things that are worrying me. It probably doesn't help that I am constantly googling things but my appointments aren't book until the end of this month and I'm starting to wonder if I should make my way to ER to have some tests done. So, what I'm asking for is some advice.

Now that my BG's are better controlled I am constantly doubting that I am actually having lower sugars (ranging from 4.5-9.0 right now) I have googled this along with my bloated stomach feeling and tiredness and have come to find that these can be symptoms of kidney disease. I am doubting myself that my sugars are under control as they have been high for so long, but the doctors office called after my last a1c and wanted to discuss medications as I STILL had some protein in my urine...this was back in May.
Along with being concerned about my kidney's I have noticed a few "floaters" in my vision but only when spending time outside or when looking at a screen otherwise, I don't notice them. This I figure is going to be something I have to deal with - has anyone else dealt with beginning of retinopathy? What are your thoughts on the kidneys?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the floaters in your vision - I have them too. I always have, long before becoming diabetic. They are always present when I have my diabetic retinopathy check and I'm told these aren't a problem. It just means they have to take a few extra photos so that they can see the eye properly - sometimes the floaters get in the way and obscure parts of it. So I don't think you need to worry about your eyes, just make sure you look after your blood sugars from now on.

Edit: I forgot to say - Welcome to the forum :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good morning and welcome aboard.

I have protein in my water but my kidney function is normal!
I take a low dose of ramipril which is for blood pressure but they help with the filtration of the kidneys.
I don't know if this is normal but I'm sure someone will wander in and put me right.
That's the beauty of this forum.

I have had laser treatment for retinopathy about twenty years ago.
I have been diabetic 43 years (diagnosed aged 6) and am now 49.
I work and drive.
Keep to the retinopathy screening and regularly go to the opticians.

Anxiety is a normal thing too and as you start looking after yourself better you analyse yourself more and subsequently notice more.
The world wide web is great but its not policed and the best example is if you google a low fibre diet the main subject it directs you to is bowl cancer......
I don't have that but I was looking a while back as I had bad guts!

I hope I have helped and I am dead lucky as my GP and his surgery is one of the best in the business.(its been rated so by the CQC) so I can turn to them almost immediately which helps if you are worrying a lot.
Can you?
If not go when you can and tell him/her your worries and that in itself will make you feel better.

Wishing you well

Tony

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @CaitlinP

The low feeling could just be false hypo's, this can happen when bg levels are running high for some time and you begin to control your diabetes.

As for the bloating and tiredness, it's worth mentioning to your Dr to rule out conditions such as Coeliac Disease, couldn't possibly say if it's kidney related, but I'd stay away from Google and just take the advice of your Dr's who'll likely run some checks.

As for the floaters, anyone can experience them, my wife does and she hasn't got diabetes. However as the Eye Screening Service have previously picked up some small changes in your retinal scan I think you should have your eyes examined, when someone has retinopathy and suddenly tighten-up their diabetes control (when it's previously been uncontrolled) it can lead to the condition progressing:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

So for peace of mind do have them looked at. Best wishes.

Reactions: azure