Back In The Gym And Losing Weight.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, new member here, looking for some advice on what to eat before a gym session. I not.ally don't eat but find .yaslf flagging a bit near the end physically, but mentally want to keep going. Thinking I should try and eat some carbs before but struggling to figure out what is best. I'm type 2.

I also posted this looking for advice on supplements in the food and nutrition section, but think it may be better posted here, if anyone can advise on both I would be extremely appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jonnytaxi . Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately as a T1 diabetic any information I could offer may prove detrimental to your BS control.
I will however tag @Mbaker . The guy may have some useful advice for you as a T2.
Good luck.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @jonnytaxi . Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately as a T1 diabetic any information I could offer may prove detrimental to your BS control.
I will however tag @Mbaker . The guy may have some useful advice for you as a T2.
Good luck.
Thanks mate, appreciated. Really happy i found this forum with so many people and great advice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks mate, appreciated. Really happy i found this forum with so many people and great advice.
What kind of gym session? Cardio, weights, yoga?
Lots of ketogenic exercisers reckon it's easier to do it fasted. And probably better for keeping bloods down.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jonnytaxi

I’m not a heavy duty gym goer but do an hour+ weights/resistance workout a couple of times a week, generally first thing in the morning in a fasted state. Have also done it later in the day while fasting. Having said that, I eat a very low carb/ketogenic diet so my body is used to burning fat for energy rather than carbs.

I think staying properly hydrated while working out is more important.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What kind of gym session? Cardio, weights, yoga?
Lots of ketogenic exercisers reckon it's easier to do it fasted. And probably better for keeping bloods down.
I generally do a cardio and weights session. I have read the same that it may be better to do it fasted, so I'll probably stick at that, thank you.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @jonnytaxi

I’m not a heavy duty gym goer but do an hour+ weights/resistance workout a couple of times a week, generally first thing in the morning in a fasted state. Have also done it later in the day while fasting. Having said that, I eat a very low carb/ketogenic diet so my body is used to burning fat for energy rather than carbs.

I think staying properly hydrated while working out is more important.
Thanks for the reply.

I am now going between 5 and 7 times a week, and really enjoying it. I stay well hydrated so that's not a worry. Think I'll do the same though and continue to train fasted, as the long term benefits seem better.

Reactions: AllieRainbow

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @jonnytaxi you are more than halfway to where you want to get to as your enthusiasium (mindset) is great.

I used to hit the wall (bonk) during a 3 mile intensive walk along Walton on the Naze, would get home and have some fish protein to feel better. I now know I was not fully fat adapted. By way of example last evening along the same route I did 5 miles 1.5 hours after a 16.00 dinner (with 10 x 2 bicep curls dumbbells I carried in the boot); this morning I did a further 5.15 miles. So that is 10 miles without food, and I will do intensive heavy weights before a meal circa 16.00. I detail this to show the amazing things that fat adaptation can do.

My method was to move away from low GI what I believe is termed as clean eating, e.g. at the time home made soda bread with mackerel/ salmon, sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes / rice / pasta. I cautiously switched from low fat yogurt to full fat, included hard cheese (my favourite being black bomber), kicked out all vegetable oils and replaced with olive, coconut and avocado oils. Included avocados, nuts and seeds.

I can say, this transformed my energy levels, improved my HbA1c, reduced my visceral fat and thereby leaned me up.

I continue to tweak, so have been experimenting with fresh coconut water, blending a slow roasting the coconut meat (I prefer making my own desiccated) and coconut milk here and there, as well as cooking where possible with MCT oil. I don't go mad, as I am also biasing towards some additional protein (liver), often doing surf and turf with low GI veggies.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @jonnytaxi you are more than halfway to where you want to get to as your enthusiasium (mindset) is great.

I used to hit the wall (bonk) during a 3 mile intensive walk along Walton on the Naze, would get home and have some fish protein to feel better. I now know I was not fully fat adapted. By way of example last evening along the same route I did 5 miles 1.5 hours after a 16.00 dinner (with 10 x 2 bicep curls dumbbells I carried in the boot); this morning I did a further 5.15 miles. So that is 10 miles without food, and I will do intensive heavy weights before a meal circa 16.00. I detail this to show the amazing things that fat adaptation can do.

My method was to move away from low GI what I believe is termed as clean eating, e.g. at the time home made soda bread with mackerel/ salmon, sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes / rice / pasta. I cautiously switched from low fat yogurt to full fat, included hard cheese (my favourite being black bomber), kicked out all vegetable oils and replaced with olive, coconut and avocado oils. Included avocados, nuts and seeds.

I can say, this transformed my energy levels, improved my HbA1c, reduced my visceral fat and thereby leaned me up.

I continue to tweak, so have been experimenting with fresh coconut water, blending a slow roasting the coconut meat (I prefer making my own desiccated) and coconut milk here and there, as well as cooking where possible with MCT oil. I don't go mad, as I am also biasing towards some additional protein (liver), often doing surf and turf with low GI veggies.

Massive thanks for the response. Can you explain a little more as to what you mean by Fat Adapted?? I think get you but not sure, lol.
I'm defo going to be training fasted now, and eating after.
I also see above that you walked 1.5 hours after a meal and weight trained before, do you think this method has helped also? I tend to train early AM atm before work, and on my days off I'll train around 5pm, then eat dinner when I get home, aid you adapt this at all?? I'm going to be testing my BG again starting Friday, so can log what happens with each session and meal. Also with testing wild you test just before a meal, and 2 hours after first bite???

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell I am really keen to get on top of this finally, it's been too long.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Massive thanks for the response. Can you explain a little more as to what you mean by Fat Adapted?? I think get you but not sure, lol.
I'm defo going to be training fasted now, and eating after.
I also see above that you walked 1.5 hours after a meal and weight trained before, do you think this method has helped also? I tend to train early AM atm before work, and on my days off I'll train around 5pm, then eat dinner when I get home, aid you adapt this at all?? I'm going to be testing my BG again starting Friday, so can log what happens with each session and meal. Also with testing wild you test just before a meal, and 2 hours after first bite???

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell I am really keen to get on top of this finally, it's been too long.
No problem with the questions. Your body has a choice between burning glucose or fatty acids (fat). Due to modern environments we burn glucose by default as we consume many carbs. A regular person usually has to eat carbs maybe every 4 to 6 hours and can become quite ravenous; alternatively by adjusting the ratio of fat in the diet and reducing carbs (and the type of carbs) you can allow the body to burn fat in preference to carbs. A rule to remember is that carbs get metabolised (used) before fat, so keeping carbs to a minimum is essential. You do not need to calorie count, but perhaps initially you may want to carb count just to understand initially - so far example for carbs I eat around a family portion of asparagus say 250 grams and 350 grams of Portobello mushrooms and that is around 10 grams of low gi carbs. This low count will help along with the fats mentioned beforehand to preference fat in place of carbs.

There are lots of theories about training, I don't care much for these as I am not a competing body builder where every minute gain counts, I follow due to persons such as Thomas DeLauer, Dr Ted Naimen, Jim Stoppani (especially Ted). I do not do pre or post workout methodologies. I sometimes do weights before cardio, but as Jim Stoppani says it doesn't matter (he has been training for over 40 years, is a Dr, does 16 / 8 fasting and is 4% body fat).

Training at circa 17:00 is meant to be somewhere near optimum, it is said "we" are at our strongest around then. I would swap dinner and training around, simply because the meal will replenish your glycogen stores after the training has depleted then - I think for a Type 2 it is better the other way around i.e. assisting your body via GLUT4 to incinerate glucose, and having the "afterburn" assist the lowering of circulating insulin, thereby promoting fat burning.

I would test at an hour, then 2 hours, which will show what your first phase insulin response is like followed by your second. Keep in mind fat adaptation may take a few weeks. For completeness I should say my home made supplements are:

(Teaspoon of each) cumin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg mixed with whole earth peanut butter to make it edible, on a home made sesame / flax seed cracker. I also have a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal, quickly washed down with water. Some of the above may work for you, but the real key for me is the fat ratio, consistency and form over numbers. I am off to crush this evening walk at Walton again, whilst my youngest dances, and as my eldest daughter is at a football trial with my wife I can smash the weights later.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem with the questions. Your body has a choice between burning glucose or fatty acids (fat). Due to modern environments we burn glucose by default as we consume many carbs. A regular person usually has to eat carbs maybe every 4 to 6 hours and can become quite ravenous; alternatively by adjusting the ratio of fat in the diet and reducing carbs (and the type of carbs) you can allow the body to burn fat in preference to carbs. A rule to remember is that carbs get metabolised (used) before fat, so keeping carbs to a minimum is essential. You do not need to calorie count, but perhaps initially you may want to carb count just to understand initially - so far example for carbs I eat around a family portion of asparagus say 250 grams and 350 grams of Portobello mushrooms and that is around 10 grams of low gi carbs. This low count will help along with the fats mentioned beforehand to preference fat in place of carbs.

There are lots of theories about training, I don't care much for these as I am not a competing body builder where every minute gain counts, I follow due to persons such as Thomas DeLauer, Dr Ted Naimen, Jim Stoppani (especially Ted). I do not do pre or post workout methodologies. I sometimes do weights before cardio, but as Jim Stoppani says it doesn't matter (he has been training for over 40 years, is a Dr, does 16 / 8 fasting and is 4% body fat).

Training at circa 17:00 is meant to be somewhere near optimum, it is said "we" are at our strongest around then. I would swap dinner and training around, simply because the meal will replenish your glycogen stores after the training has depleted then - I think for a Type 2 it is better the other way around i.e. assisting your body via GLUT4 to incinerate glucose, and having the "afterburn" assist the lowering of circulating insulin, thereby promoting fat burning.

I would test at an hour, then 2 hours, which will show what your first phase insulin response is like followed by your second. Keep in mind fat adaptation may take a few weeks. For completeness I should say my home made supplements are:

(Teaspoon of each) cumin, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg mixed with whole earth peanut butter to make it edible, on a home made sesame / flax seed cracker. I also have a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before a meal, quickly washed down with water. Some of the above may work for you, but the real key for me is the fat ratio, consistency and form over numbers. I am off to crush this evening walk at Walton again, whilst my youngest dances, and as my eldest daughter is at a football trial with my wife I can smash the weights later.
Massive thanks for this. I'm going to do a bit of research on some low GI foods to have for dinner. I have a couple of books given to me by a friend I'm going to read on it. I'm going to stick my PhD shakes for now as well, as I'm happy with how I'm eating with it and the weight is coming off. I will start testing before and after sessions so I can note how it affects my BG, and I can adjust them if needed.
As for evening sessions, I will try eating a meal about 90mins before and see how that goes, what do you think?? Then later at night word I be ok to eat say some pork scratchings or almonds or so.eghjng sjmar if hungry, or would just a cup of tea be better???
Also I love good cheese but have avoided it as much as poss since being diagnosed, so I'm glad that I can have it again. Any suggestions on good fat foods to eat for meals??

Enjoy your weights and walk, I'm going to buy a bench for home, as I'm really enjoying training I'll have no excuse when I've got the youngest all day!!!

Thanks again.

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone tell me if taking Intra BCAA+ drink during my workout will negatively affect my BG Levels??? Or is just best to try and see???

jonnytaxi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess cereals such as nutri grain are out as a pre workout meal ?
Trying to train fasted atm. See how that goes. I'm ok on just water and my diet protein shake after, just wondering if I can take BCAA+ drink during. May get some and try it.