Back to basics

loveclassics

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When first diagnosed with T2 in 2004, I dieted and exercised a much as possible and lost weight from 18st to 15.5st. My sugars dropped to an average of 6.4 and my GP said I was technically 'pre-diabetic'. So my GP stopped prescribing test strips and told me that all I needed was an annual blood test.

But then my life changed - I had to retire due to bad health (lifetime arthritis and now severe scoliosis), my elderly parents became dependent on me and then my father and my best friend both died in quick succession. I had a mild stroke last year and although I've recovered well, I let my diet lapse and exercise is impossible after several falls and fractures. My last blood test showed an average glucose level of 8.4. So I've persuaded my doctor to let me have test strips again and I intend to get my sugars under control as before. In the meantime I'm on Metformin 500mg twice daily in addition to Lisonipril to reduce my high blood pressure, plus very strong painkillers (oxycodone) for my joint pain.

I'm avoiding carbs except for the occasional slice of wholemeal and fruit but I do have home-made porridge (plain oats, water & blueberries) 3 times a week, for the soluble fibre. I don't eat fast or processed food but cook lots of fish and vegetables. I'll be 72 in July and that's my target date to get back to pre-diabetic glucose levels. Any practical advice? I've seen so many doctors, clinicians etc at the Diabetic centre in my local hospital and their advice is often contradictory and impractical. I have come to the conclusion that this type of diabetes is best self-managed but I would like some advice from other diabetics on how to get the best out of testing while I still receive the test strips on prescription. Can anyone suggest a sensible timetable for testing? I only eat twice a day as I don't fancy food first thing.

Thanks in anticipation.

Linda

Reactions: Divia

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Linda

Welcome :)

Test right before the first bite of a meal and then 2 hours afterwards and report back. What is it you think is the conflicting advice?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest testing after eating any grain such as bread or porridge - there are other sources of fibre.
I do have some loaves of Livlife bread in the freezer, as I eat some when I have kippers, aand when I get around to it I will be experimenting with a bread maker and some wheat gluten to see if I can make a low carb loaf myself, but the usual stuff sold is rather high in carbs, not a good idea for us.