Back to work tomorrow

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, packed off to school with a parka pocket full of "care package"... Lol, those were the days..

You got your own office Torq..? Oh the luxury! I only dreeeeeeam of an office..
I do have my own black "limo tinted" mobile office to do my "thing"... These days, my van looks even dodgier than the "School boy" hoodie with the drugs...

Glad yer getting the work sorted Stacey..!

Reactions: 5 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Stacey_28 Glad to hear today went well, blood sugars are affected by stress so it maybe this which has affected you. Please take it easy we are all different and your health comes first, go at your own pace and please shout if you need help ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Sorry to be blunt, but I find that unreasonable.

Again, if you've suffered complications from diabetes (DKA, HONK, etc) then you have every right to take time off until you recover. However, taking several weeks off (much less several months) is unjustifiable. Just because you can (legally) take time off doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Again, this is relevant to this thread because I believe many of you are making a bigger deal about this then it actually is. Yes, it is a serious disease. Yes, it is life changing. Yes, it can be a lot to handle. However, nothing changed before and after the day you were diagnosed except that now you understand what is happening inside of your body.

By all means, people should take their time getting back to 100% and adjusting to the news. However, I fail to understand how you can justify being completely absent from your job for that much time simply due to a diagnosis. If you can go that much time without working, all that tells me is that you're replaceable in your job. Again, sorry to be blunt, but that is the truth.

Go back to work, take it easy, and learn to adjust to the new routine. However, don't make this a bigger deal than it is. There's no reason to make this a bigger deal than it is.
@TorqPenderloin Ooops... Sorry, I failed to mention why I was off work for 3.5 months. I'd had a DVT in my left leg & PE in my right lung & whilst in hospital they diagnosed my DiabetesT2.
I was trying to advise you, about returning to work and how I'd handled it, hoping it would help you.
That's the trouble with emails & the like, it's not like being on the phone or mobile, where you can explain things better. Of course, you are entitled to voice your opinion but so are we. Any way, I hope you keep well. Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin Ooops... Sorry, I failed to mention why I was off work for 3.5 months. I'd had a DVT in my left leg & PE in my right lung & whilst in hospital they diagnosed my DiabetesT2.
I was trying to advise you, about returning to work and how I'd handled it, hoping it would help you.
That's the trouble with emails & the like, it's not like being on the phone or mobile, where you can explain things better. Of course, you are entitled to voice your opinion but so do we. Any way, I hope you keep well. Steve
That makes a lot more sense now and as I mentioned, my comments certainly don't apply in situations such as those you described. I thought you were suggesting that you had taken several months off simply because a doctor had told you "You have diabetes."

Also, don't worry about me. I was diagnosed on a Tuesday evening, took Wednesday off to see my GP, and went back to work on Thursday. The ER doctor had written an excuse to take more time off than that, but I didn't feel it was necessary.

My thought process was that I can sit at home and have diabetes, or I can go back to work and have diabetes....and I might as well start getting used to the new way of life sooner rather than putting it off.

To circle back around to the original topic at hand:
It felt healthier for me (mentally) to immediately throw myself into the new work routine. Of course, it makes sense to take it easy and not try to do too much all at once. However, I felt it was more beneficial to make it through a full workday taking it easy rather than put off the inevitable.

To each his (or her) own.

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
That's the trouble with emails & the like, it's not like being on the phone or mobile, where you can explain things better. Of course, you are entitled to voice your opinion but so do we. Any way, I hope you keep well. Steve
That makes a lot more sense now and as I mentioned, my comments certainly don't apply in situations such as those you described. I thought you were suggesting that you had taken several months off simply because a doctor had told you "You have diabetes."

Also, don't worry about me. I was diagnosed on a Tuesday evening, took Wednesday off to see my GP, and went back to work on Thursday. The ER doctor had written an excuse to take more time off than that, but I didn't feel it was necessary.

My thought process was that I can sit at home and have diabetes, or I can go back to work and have diabetes....and I might as well start getting used to the new way of life sooner rather than putting it off.

It felt healthier for me (mentally) to immediately throw myself into the new work routine. Of course, it makes sense to take it easy and not try to do too much all at once. However, I felt it was more beneficial to make it through a full workday taking it easy rather than put off the inevitable.

Thanks f

@TorqPenderloin Hi Again, yes I felt the same there, staying the whole day. Keep well. Steve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But then again the more I think about it the more I remember how screwed up my life became because of this. I remember spending months afterwards suffering from depression and anger which has plagued me throughout my life. Although this was mainly due to the lack of support from the hospital, my parents and the fact that no-one knew any T1's at all. It was a case of..there you go, inject this, don't eat that and try not to embarrass people by having a hypo. **** it was horrible.
But then again that was more due to lack of support and understanding rather than actual time away from school or work.

I was diagnosed hundreds of miles away from home, traveled there by coach, it was 2 coaches. In hospital for a week and then advised not to travel back on my own straight away, 2 coaches again. My work, Sainsbury's were understanding, I got home at the weekend and then back to work on the Monday, feeling a bit anxious and it was daunting at first (I hadn't seen my 2 children for 2 weeks too) but straight back in there, on the bakery and deli.
I had my first hypo when out and about with my relative, that was a shock, no one told me about that !!

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For stacey-28. Deep breath lass and throw yourself into it. I think your problem is not the diabetes, but anxiety about juggling the new routines with the everyday pressures of working and being a parent. I was in a similar situation. I was very ill for a long time (slow onset type 1), had a young baby and when I returned to work after maternity leave I was diagnosed with diabetes shortly afterwards. I was a wreck. You may find this surprising, but being at work really helped me for many reasons. The distraction stopped me from dwelling on all that was bad and the routine of coffee and meal breaks (and not snacking through boredom or perhaps because I am not allowed to eat in the lab for health and safety reasons) all helped me get to grips with the carb counting and insulin routine. The routine of work and support of work colleagues can really help. So deep breath, throw yourself in and so try and embrace it. Best of luck!!!!

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed hundreds of miles away from home, traveled there by coach, it was 2 coaches. In hospital for a week and then advised not to travel back on my own straight away, 2 coaches again. My work, Sainsbury's were understanding, I got home at the weekend and then back to work on the Monday, feeling a bit anxious and it was daunting at first (I hadn't seen my 2 children for 2 weeks too) but straight back in there, on the bakery and deli.
I had my first hypo when out and about with my relative, that was a shock, no one told me about that !!
The bakery and deli - that is brutal!!! To be surrounded by all those lovely baking carby smells. ;-)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The bakery and deli - that is brutal!!! To be surrounded by all those lovely baking carby smells. ;-)

Lovely deli meats and coleslaw and then filling the jam doughnuts also smelling the bread cooking in the ovens..........................:hungry: it was nice to get back to 'normality' :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lovely deli meats and coleslaw and then filling the jam doughnuts also smelling the bread cooking in the ovens..........................:hungry: it was nice to get back to 'normality' :)

Oh I'd be in my element with all the meats & cheese's *DROOL* would never get any work done

Shellbellx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
this is not a topic to argue about the amount of time following a diagnosis is too long to return to work.

the original OP has asked for any support we can offer her in her return to work.

Let us not forget we are all individuals with completely varied circumstances and issues in our lives, and walking a mile in someone else's shoes might not hurt sometimes.

I agree! I don't think there is any set time that someone should be off!

A lot of people cope differently and also may need counselling to come to terms with the diagnosis! It might be a long term condition that yes u don't have much choice but to get on with it, but that's not always clear at the beginning! That might take someone 3 weeks or 3 months and no one should judge that!

Anyway, glad you survived first day back Stacey! Well done! X