1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Back!

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by luceeloo, Jan 7, 2016.

1. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought I'd reintroduce myself as it's been a long time since I posted here.

I'm 35, and was diagnosed two and a half years ago with Type 2. After being relatively in control with Lixisenatide injections and Metformin, a serious gum infection (now treated) knocked my levels out of whack and they never returned to my normal. This week I dragged myself in to see my DSN when my fasting levels hit 24.5mmol, and I was promptly put on Gliclazide and given a machine to test ketones.
    The Gliclazide has worked almost immediately, and today has been the first day I've felt like I've got any energy in months.
    However, I'm aware that Gliclazide causes weight gain, so I need to be here and need to be regimented in order to avoid that.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi and welcome. Gliclazide only causes weight gain if you eat too many carbs. It works by making the pancreas produce more insulin which has been lacking. That insulin enables the body to burn the carbs or store them as fat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping!
    I've still got a lot to lose, so I'm trying to focus on staying on track.

4. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome back :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook