Type 1 Background retinopathy

Nina8786

I recently had my eye screeening test and the results have come back saying I do have some background retinopathy but that I don’t need treatment at this time. Should I be worried?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nina,
I was also told recently that I have background retinopathy. I panicked a lot at first, but something that really helped me - although it may not help you - was seeing the actual scans. I have one larger bleed that is likely to stay put, and two smaller bleeds that might resolve themselves. Apparently, when they first see it, it is likely not 'stable', so those bleeds may well not be there next time they look.

In short, don't worry too much. What was your last Hba1c? Is there any possibility that it could come down a bit?

I think @himtoo may be more knowledgeable?

Nina8786

Hi Nina,
I was also told recently that I have background retinopathy. I panicked a lot at first, but something that really helped me - although it may not help you - was seeing the actual scans. I have one larger bleed that is likely to stay put, and two smaller bleeds that might resolve themselves. Apparently, when they first see it, it is likely not 'stable', so those bleeds may well not be there next time they look.

In short, don't worry too much. What was your last Hba1c? Is there any possibility that it could come down a bit?

I think @himtoo may be more knowledgeable?
Hi, I will admit my blood sugars haven’t been well controlled for a while (I’ve been suffering with severe anxiety and depression) but I have been getting better control recently and being more strict with myself, is there a chance that I could reverse the background retinopathy? Thankyou for your reply

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I will admit my blood sugars haven’t been well controlled for a while (I’ve been suffering with severe anxiety and depression) but I have been getting better control recently and being more strict with myself, is there a chance that I could reverse the background retinopathy? Thankyou for your reply
It can be reversed. I had full blown retinopathy and macular oedema and it has been reversed for well over a year now. I started low carb to stop it getting worse but it reversed it much to my surprise.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thankyou!! I was really panicking, I appreciate your reply
Hi @Nina8786 I had very early (and primitive!) laser treatment in both eyes between 1979 and 1983. I had at that stage been Type 1 for 20 years already, and poorly controlled. Having had the riot act delivered by the lead diabetic ophthalmologist at King's College Hospital at that time, I took my treatment very seriously until 2013, when I had a pancreas/kidney transplant. Even now, at the age of 60, my eyesight is very good. I hope this gives you some inspiration. Good luck!

Last edited:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My second retinal test showed I had background retinopathy.
I was petrified. At that time, my bg levels were high. Went for 3rd year test and had cleared. My bg levels were greatly reduced which helped.
No problems since, though if I go off the rails at times, I do get bad blurred vision. This soon disappears when I get back on track

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
to me there are some key factors.... the main one doing your best to control your blood sugars .... this is quite a personal thing so the ownership of one's D is significant in how we approach our disease............

for me i have tried to look after myself and i was first diagnosed with retinopathy in 1990 ...........first laser treatment was in 2002....second laser treatment in 2012.........developed a macular oedema then too.... had injections for this in 2013 and have been stable since ( fingers crossed going forward )
Been T1D for 46 years in total

hope this helps