Bacon and Eggs v Porridge

Spithedog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They're winners to our grandsons as well, they go through as much B&E as we do every day, their parents brought them up well when they were kids.

I asked them before if they ever had porridge for breakfast at home, they just laughed and told me to get real on eating garbage.
I do know that porridge is one of the breakfasts that really helped me control my T2. The Beta Glucan in porridge is also excellent at helping control cholesterol and indeed stopped my need for statins. Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs but porridge has its place. If you don't like it then learn to make it right.

Reactions: KK123
D

Deleted member 308541

Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs but porridge has its place. If you don't like it then learn to make it right.
I have no need to eat slop for breakfast so no need to learn how to make, it as I can afford to eat decent food. :meh:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually enjoy(ed) porridge and ate it most mornings because I liked it and because I thought it was good for me and my diabetic condition. As of February I stopped eating it, like turning off a light switch. I ate it with banana, dried fruit, raisins, stewed fruit, single cream, condensed milk etc etc. And very convenient to make, also. Now I have no porridge whatsoever in the house.

I just thought it ironically funny that whilst I was tucking in to a full English at lunchtime, they (some) were tucking in to porridge or granola for lunch too, presumably believing it to be a healthy option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do know that porridge is one of the breakfasts that really helped me control my T2. The Beta Glucan in porridge is also excellent at helping control cholesterol and indeed stopped my need for statins. Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs but porridge has its place. If you don't like it then learn to make it right.
I can make porridge - but it raises my blood glucose and keeps it high right throughout the day - also I am of the type who live longer with higher levels of cholesterol - statistically proven to be the case, so porridge is not on my menu.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It does but those options tend to be carb oriented so I just order omelette or a full English. They just cook them to order. We are talking about a midday meal here. So yes, some are sitting down at lunchtime and eating porridge and granola, presumably thinking it is healthy...

It works out well for me though as at least I can have a good lunch without having to bother about carb content, while at work.
I too enjoy the thrill of eating something that is supposed to be the epitome of unhealthy whilst knowing that is actually pretty good for me. I get free food where I work (it is not even a benefit in kind for some reason) and like to include the black pudding (can have a few carbs in that), mushrooms and tomatoes....
I do not worry about bacon (not particularly hazardous but fret about vegetable oils instead.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make vats of porridge when I’m crew catering and I get compliments about it constantly. There is a science and art to it :)

Reactions: KK123

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...and ask a Scotsman about the porridge drawer...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make vats of porridge when I’m crew catering and I get compliments about it constantly. There is a science and art to it :)
Yes. It’s like anything, depends how it is made.

But I didn’t eat porridge today. I had an omelette and bacon with mushrooms for lunch at work. £1.50.