Type 1 Bad Blood Sugars

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

My sugars have been really bad lately for no particular reason. They are almost always high and anything i eat big or small they will either go low very fast and then go straight back up to about 17/18 mmol or they will just stay in the 13-17 zone. my levels are usually pretty good and around 4-10 mmol most days. At the moment i use 14 units of levemir at night and 6 in the morning, should i try raising my morning levemir could that help?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sorry to read of your BS problems, tbh I think you need to speak to someone in your diabetes team first for help and advice. Are you feeling under the weather, or stressed with work or home, are you on MDI, as you could try a new batch of Insulin, I have had to do this, or maybe the needles could be faulty, all these can make BS fluctuate ?
Sometimes we just don't understand why readings like this happen, I hope you get to the bottom of it very soon. Take care

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do suffer a lot with anxiety and have been stressed so maybe it’s that. Thank you

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @emily deacon,
Just to clarify: do you have Levemir only ?
No short-acting insulin before meals ?
And what do you eat for meals and any snacks?

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No i also use novarapid for my fast acting insulin. I have coeliac disease and also lactose intolerant so i genuinely eat quite well, fruit and rice cakes often and maybe salt and vinegar crisps as snacks. But even last night i set 1 alarm to check them and they were 17. so i injected went to sleep and set another alarm 2 hours later and there 14. it’s just relentless at the moment

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @emily deacon,,
With high BSLs after meals or high sugars in general i look at:
Ketones: I measure blood ketones in case they are high
Insulin:
Question:? In date, ? Not frozen in fridge or exposed to greater than 30 degrees C
Not out of fridge > 30 days?, ampoule not cracked and leaking. Bsls high on waking?
Action: check ampoule for all above, ? Try new batch/ampoule, for high waking BSLs consider basal testing - type it in Question box right upper Home page for details
Delivery device e.g. Insulin pen -
Q: not worn. stiff, not leakage of insulin abive the red rubber in the ampoule?. Not leaking where needle screws on? Needles. Left in place long enough after pressing in plunger to allow all insulin to be delivered
A: ? New pen, new ampoule, new needle
Injection sites:
Q: rotated sites so not near the same area of injection for > whatever your DSN advises - poor absorption of insulin does not help ,
A: . Site injection guides and listing
Diet:
Q: any particular foods associated with high BSLs afterward? . Bsls worse after any particular meal? Dies any particular variation in diet lead to lower BSLs ?
A: Consider along with your DSN dietary options includinh low carb high fat (LCHF) diet .If you think about it, carbs and certain grains are the enemy, low carb coukd help with bith issues. There are of course other diet options - see Home page Type 1
General issues: as @Knikki mentioned stress ( about anything includinhg high BSLs), also periods, infection - urine, teeth, current cold
Gremlins: weather, season can seem to upset BSLs for who knows what reason.
Best Wishes, I hope the list can help you when you sort things out with your DSN.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No i also use novarapid for my fast acting insulin. I have coeliac disease and also lactose intolerant so i genuinely eat quite well, fruit and rice cakes often and maybe salt and vinegar crisps as snacks. But even last night i set 1 alarm to check them and they were 17. so i injected went to sleep and set another alarm 2 hours later and there 14. it’s just relentless at the moment

Reactions: Knikki

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know more about your overall daily diet? Do you have enough fat and protein to help slow carb absorption and hence minimise BS spikes? Do you keep the carbs sensibly low even though T1?

Reactions: Knikki