Bad Christmas Day

JordySloan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not going to lie, I had a pretty bad day. Gained a lot of weight apparently (hope it’s water weight and comes off quickly). I’ve been water fasting since and my eyesight has gotten pretty bad. I’m a type 2 so I don’t have insulin to get it down quickly. Any suggestions? I was 100% for the month leading up to Christmas so I’m disappointed in myself. One day has apparently took all my progress away after working out for three weeks in a row and eating clean. Meh.. :)

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not going to lie, I had a pretty bad day. Gained a lot of weight apparently (hope it’s water weight and comes off quickly). I’ve been water fasting since and my eyesight has gotten pretty bad. I’m a type 2 so I don’t have insulin to get it down quickly. Any suggestions? I was 100% for the month leading up to Christmas so I’m disappointed in myself. One day has apparently took all my progress away after working out for three weeks in a row and eating clean. Meh.. :)
Just a blip. Don't beat yourself up. Back on the horse when you're up to it.
Me? I put on 4 kg in two days and haven't eaten veg (normally only leafy but at least 3/4lb) since. I'm still overeating cheese and cream.
It's a marathon!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not quite sure what you want help with - are your blood glucose levels unusually high?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a type 2 so I don’t have insulin to get it down quickly.
Firstly insulin doesn't always bring levels down "quickly" and it can be just as lengthy a process with it, secondly there are insulin dependant Type 2's, insulin isn't the fast fix you seem to think it is

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Yep, I'm insulin dependant. Don't kick yourself. (It Ain't always that easy either?)
Back to you.
Do you have a blood test meter?
Drinking water is not a bad idea..

You made progress & know what could be better.. Then came crimbo.. "Meh" it don't always work. ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tomorrow's a whole new day.

You'll not be the first, or last who has had a bit of "time off" over the holiday. Life is littered with bumps in the road. This is no disaster, but in the loner terms it'll be a tiny irritation.

Refocus and move on.

Reactions: Somedudeguy

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Like previous posters say- it's a blip. Given this is a lifelong diagnosis you're likely to have a few more on the way. We are all only human.

Pick yourself up and get back on the wagon. I'm sure you'll lose the weight quickly- but much more importantly get the blood sugar levels back on track (if they are at all high).

Remember the primary goal is the blood sugar levels- the weight loss is great if like me you are way overweight but that will come as long as the blood sugar levels are ok.

Don't beat yourself up- just get back to it.

Good luck.

Reactions: Somedudeguy

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Christmas is over now. Time to get back on the wagon and keep moving forwards.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: ert

Dark Horse

I’ve been water fasting since
Restricting your water intake will not help in any meaningful way and could be problematical. A normal fast with unrestricted water shouldn't be a problem if you are not on any medication (it and doesn't go on for too long).

andromache

Taking a tumble for a day or two hardly matters. . It’s getting right back on the horse that matters. The food decisions you make right now are the ones that matter, and you are in charge of those.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Restricting your water intake will not help in any meaningful way and could be problematical. A normal fast with unrestricted water shouldn't be a problem if you are not on any medication (it and doesn't go on for too long).

I assume that water fasting is not eating anything but drinking plenty of water.

Cortana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick
Don’t beat yourself up about enjoying the season. On what I çall cheat days and yes think we all have them. I have water loads of water throughout the day. A run or brisk walk after meals and I do a yoga and weight session all that enables me to indulge on those few days when we really just want to eat like everyone else including a few bevs. But I do stay away from carbs it is possible even in restaurants. For me the key is intense exercise directly after eating sounds weird but find it works. Also on days like Christmas I’m checking my blood sugar levels regularly. Hope you’re getting better

Dark Horse

I assume that water fasting is not eating anything but drinking plenty of water.
Thank you. Having googled it, I think you are probably right about this - a case of language evolving. However, there are still modern examples where a word preceding the word 'fast' is used to indicate the thing that is being given up so it's worth knowing that it could lead to confusion. For example, 'meat fast' for climate change means 'not eating meat' for a period of time rather than 'eating only meat' http://meatfast.com/ and a 'TV fast' means not watching TV for a period:- https://www.wambui-bahati.com/Television-Fast.html

I think saying 'water-only fast' would probably be a bit clearer.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the 6th day of Christmas - I can't see that it is over - and the OP doesn't seem to have revealed what the problem was.
My fridges are still stuffed with Christmas food - I am planning roast lamb for New Years Day and hoping for a marked down goose from the supermarket...
I do seem to be eating less as the holiday goes on - I managed a few walnuts this morning, could not face 'real' food.