1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bad Day Good Day.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by kev-w, Jun 7, 2018.

1. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So today was my retinal screening/eye clinic followed by the diabetes centre upstairs, unfortunately mother was rushed into hospital yesterday, she's 92 and I got a phone call at 06.30 to tell me her condition had deteriorated overnight and I should get there ASAP.
    As I was 'on site' I got to the appointments, no changes to my eyes (but am still waiting for the drops to fully wear off) and I can change to Tresiba but as I mentioned my current situation he'll do the prescription in a couple of weeks if I ring the clinic to ask as I don't fancy changing it these next few days.

HbA1C of 43 yeah, too many hypos Cholesterol of 4.2 (HDL 1.8 LDL 2.0), BP 121/71, BMI 25 and creatinine 74 which aint too bad I guess.

The diabetes clinic seems to be undergoing a sea change, that's the first time the consultant has said he's happy for me to try any insulin, he says that Tresiba 'should' work and I got my next 3 month libre script, 2 years max he reckons before they're fully available to type 1s.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 3
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @kev-w Hope your mums ok ?

Good news on the eye test, Tresiba and Libre prescription, but of a mixed bag today but some good positives to help you along ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your mum.
    How is she doing now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. kev-w

Mum, no, pneumonia I'm afraid, she's been staying at mine for the last month since her last hospital stay as she's become very old very quick :(, she's been ok, beginnings of dementia, lots of ailments and I recently signed the DNACPR forms but she wouldn't wake yesterday morning and had a temperature so I got a Dr out who called an ambulance, but anyway, they've withdrawn the antibiotics as they're not working, and withdrawn her fluid drip she's comfortable and one of my kids is sitting in with her tonight (her fella brought me home) with the end of life care, I'd be a liability overnight with foodstuffs and my eyes aren't back in focus to drive yet.

• Hug Hug x 11
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

O love, I am sorry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m so sorry about your mum, lovely, sending hugs from South Wales xxx

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@kev-w . So sorry to hear about your mum. Inevitably and acceptance makes the pain no less. Forget the D for a few days and be with your mum. She has been very fortunate to have such a good son.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi @kev-w, so sorry to hear your news, my dad, age 94, died in January very quickly after contracting Bronchial Pneumonia, he was to be given end of life care, so I know how you will be feeling. Please take good care of yourself and sending (((((hugs))))) and my very best wishes X

• Hug Hug x 4
  9. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

A smile.........and a tear.....................

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Having had my share of bedside vigils, there is little you can do there anyway. Huge, huge hug.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kev-w

Thanks y'all, I'm ok, and if I'm honest it'll spare her the indignity of dementia, my gallows humour makes me wonder if it's a sign to skip the Tresiba as today was the big day for my script change.

Course I made a prat of myself outside the entrance ringing my old uncle who's a bit mutton jeff but muting the phone with my cheek as I shouted down it to tell him what was happening, he's shouting that he can't hear me and I'm screaming into the phone to get the point across....but anyway

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Kev, so sorry about your mum. Even though 92’s a great age it still can seem so wrong that someone seems to be going. But maybe she’ll rally. These things are unpredictable. I hope she’s still there this morning and you feel well enough to make your way to her. Hugs
    Great results. Like you say, a good/bad day. Your call to your old uncle’s worthy of the best tragi-comedies, great stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  13. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @kev-w. Sorry to hear about your mum

Good news about your eyes and Libre thou

Isnt that a typical diabetes day? Good day/bad day ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

sorry to hear about your mum kev sending big hugs take care xx

• Like Like x 2
  15. kev-w

Mum died this morning, sad but she's at peace so thanks again for the hugs.

And thanks to the CCG for my Libre as at this point it's an absolute godsend.

• Hug Hug x 7
  16. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@kev-w . So sorry to hear of your loss. Heartfelt sympathy to yourself and family.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A stressful time. Sending commiserations and a reminder to look after yourself too in the next couple of weeks, as I am sure your mum would want you to.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry @kev-w. As you say, she’s at peace now, no more suffering.
    Take care of yourself during this sad time. Even though she had a long life and her end was more or less expected, the loss of her is very significant. So hug

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m so sorry, Kev, sending all the hugs to you and yours from South Wales xxx

• Like Like x 2
  20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

You have my sincerest condolences on your loss. To lose a parent at any age is one of the hardest things to bear. Take time to look after yourself, take it steady.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook