Type 1 Bad days

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you ever have a really bad day that u don't care?? Last night I went of the rail a bit and ate 2 bowls of rice crispys with sugar 4 freddos 10 ginger nuts 4 pas of crisps then I fell asleep before taking my dosage. This morning I'm feeling it tho time to correct the bloods as I'm on car counting oppps

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never badbrogs and I can say that with my hand on my heart.

I could count on one hand how many times I've missed an injection in 33 years, and if I do fancy a treat I take the appropriate amount of insulin to match the food, but would never dream of eating the amount of food you consumed as it would be impossible to bolus for, tbh if I'd eaten that lot without insulin I think I'd be waking up in hospital this morning.

Sorry but you did ask...............

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to agree with @noblehead on this one. When I've binged I've taken insulin to cover it, although I can't say I've binged to the level you've described. I've forgotten basal insulin a couple of times, but that's cancelled out by a lot of use of NovoRapid in a pump-like manner. Can't say I've ever forgotten to Bolus though. I would have thought that would be difficult given its association with food for me! Like noblehead, I would be in all sorts of trouble with that kind of carb load and no insulin.

Again, you did ask!

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What made you feel you wanted to do that ?
An all round rubbish day, or was diabetes getting you down ?
You won't do any lasting damage if it's a one off and you get your BG's down but its a slippery slope if it becomes a habit to cope with difficult days or because it is "Diabetic denial "

Talking about things is good for both scenarios ;)

Signy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well what astounds me is that you have these things in store anyway!!

Unfortunately I had paramedics out cpuple week and they wanted to see me eat (and keep food down) before they would leave me... They wanted me to have cereal ir toast or bread or something... Had nothing like this in the house.. Let alone biscuits. Only thing had was a ramekin of berries so that was enough for them to leave me.

I'm amazed that you had all that in the cupboards anyway!!

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get it really guys when I said off the rails I mean like I forgot to take it with my food I'm on a carb counting diet and was told I could have what ever I wanted as long as I carb count. I just forgot to take me dosage and feel asleep

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I feel bad. I'm pretty sure I replied to one of your earlier posts saying we'd all been through the same, and we wouldn't have a go. I think I may have been mistaken.

A few months back I won a big iced cake in a "guess the weight of the cake" competition. I tried to give it to our local hospital, but the first thing my DSN said was "why can't you eat the cake?". So there are very different views if what's fine when you are carb counting.

Having been diabetic 40+ years I find I can no longer get too concerned about the odd bad day. I just don't make it a habit. If you do the same it will be good for you in the long run.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think the responses show howany others have done the same as you...

I been T1 30+ years and have never binged like you (sorry, that to me is a total binge even for a non diabetic!!) and then forgotten to take insulin.

Sorry... T1's are told nowadays that they can eat anything so long as they dose for it. However, sorry,
I believe that even T1's need to review the qtys of carbs ate and try to eat healthy...to me having that food in the cup oard in the first place would be a big fat no.

Reactions: 6 people

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dw people new year will be the one all should be sorted when I'm on the pump :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You still have tonremember to bolus for food!! Even with a pump!!

Reactions: 4 people