Bad low sugar

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dude, where do you want me to start...? ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I was a beer drinker I would hypo the next morning around 10am even after adjusting insulin doses, I quickly learnt so would pre-empt it with a snack.

I find gardening the worst, on Sunday I took 2 units of QA for 80g of carbs at lunch and still managed to go low with a reading of 3.5mmol :(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK I'll bite... Low sugar after a night out you ask..?

A long time ago I met this girl & got "lucky".. During the "throws of passion" I got hit by a hypo..
End of story you might think..? It certainly was for me..!
But, this this girl bugged me for weeks to come back & finish the job....

Talk about "cowboy builders"....

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After a night out I am usually high BG rather than low. The exception is if I stay up all night. I tend to lose my hypo awareness in that state, as it all gets a bit surreal, all the feelings are dulled and blend together. If I have the presence of mind I tend to have a carby breakfast before I go to bed and that sorts me out.

Actually I tend to eat a lot and go easy on the insulin when I am drinking which is why I am typically high and not low after. I had some close shaves with binge nights when I was first diagnosed so I tend to be very hypo averse when drinking and go for very lax control. I had a situation where I was hypo alone in my hotel room after a brutal night of drinking with my boss and I worried I was going to choke to death on my own vomit. I got through that but it put me off heavy drinking (mostly) and definitely is why I never combine drinking with attempting tight BG control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App