Bad low

ag1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I had a bad low this am and collapsed had friends with me but seemed to be out cold for about 15 minutes unconscious, friends were rubbing glocuse on my gums. What I want to know is there other out there that have had this 1. Why out so long 2. What can I do to prevent this again........

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @ag1987 - can you run us through the circumstances around this, so what were your Bg levels like in the 12 hours prior, was there alcohol/exercise/stress involved, are you on MDI or pump, do you generally have good hypo awareness and good control ?

Reactions: ag1987 and azure

ag1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ag1987 - can you run us through the circumstances around this, so what were your Bg levels like in the 12 hours prior, was there alcohol/exercise/stress involved, are you on MDI or pump, do you generally have good hypo awareness and good control ?

Thank you for the reply. I was high in the previous 12 hours I have had alot of stress I. The past 2 weeks more than I probably have realised
I usually have good awareness just this time went so fast. I am on novorapid insulin pump.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ag1987 - without knowing how much insulin taken and when prior to this event, the only suggestion I can make is to just make a mental note when your stressed out is to test more frequently, if your levels were high and you were over correcting then it may well of been that the corrections had been kicking in and you crashed suddenly perhaps when your stress levels had come back down. Using a pump is good as long as your ratios are finely tuned then hypos are less frequent and less likely to go too low, however an unusual event such as stress and corrections would give rise to a more severe hypo event. Personally I think you should call in to your team and run through this event with them to see if your pump settings need reviewing ? Obviously avoiding a repeat at all costs is important so I do hope this doesn't happen again, best wishes :)