Bad side effects of metformin

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Metformin in any form made me very ill, so I've been off it since about March I think. I started to follow the LCHF diet RECOMMENDED BY MY DIABETIC NURSE! I lost almost 2 stone and felt great. I slipped out of the diet when my husband 'retired' and he was cooking. But now I'm back onto the LCHF diet and feel much better. My cholesterol went up slightly, but still within the good numbers. I don't take any prescribed medication for diabetes now. I do take Cinnamon and Chronium which are supposed to help keep blood sugar levels down. Also I take Plant Sterols to help keep my cholesterol levels good. Also B12 and B6 I told the nurse I was taking these and she was ok with them.

Reactions: pleinster

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At 1 pm went out for lunch whilst shopping. Had fresh fish and the rest was high carb. Felt very tired when back home at 4 pm so had a sleep. Awoke 6 pm still feeling physically tired. Tested blood sugar 9.2 What has gone wrong? Head feels quite clear so liver can't be the problem. Evening meal will be ready in 10 minutes - it will be bread, tomatoes, egg, and cheese portions.

Guess I had better increase my insulin tonight and risk a hypo.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
At 1 pm went out for lunch whilst shopping. Had fresh fish and the rest was high carb. Felt very tired when back home at 4 pm so had a sleep. Awoke 6 pm still feeling physically tired. Tested blood sugar 9.2 What has gone wrong? Head feels quite clear so liver can't be the problem. Evening meal will be ready in 10 minutes - it will be bread, tomatoes, egg, and cheese portions.

Guess I had better increase my insulin tonight and risk a hypo.

Hi. To keep it brief, as I tend to ramble on...nothing has gone wrong. As you say yourself, your fish was accompanied by "high carbs". Your blood sugar therefore went up pretty high and was still high when you woke a few hours later. You seriously need to address the amount of carbs in your food.
Questions...1] was the fish good oily stuff or was it in batter or breadcrumbs (ie. higher carbs)
2] how high in carbs were these "high carb" you ate?
3] why eat bread with your dinner (it will spike your blood sugar)
4] why increase insulin before bed, risking a hypo ? Bring levels down earlier by not eating high carb foods.
5] importantly - what was your blood sugar level before eating...
if you don't know that, you cannot tell how much it has risen a couple of hours after you have eaten.
I know it all seems a horrendous challenge, but you need to be more aware of what high carb foods do to you levels..and avoid them.

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. To keep it brief, as I tend to ramble on...nothing has gone wrong. As you say yourself, your fish was accompanied by "high carbs". Your blood sugar therefore went up pretty high and was still high when you woke a few hours later. You seriously need to address the amount of carbs in your food.
Questions...1] was the fish good oily stuff or was it in batter or breadcrumbs (ie. higher carbs)
2] how high in carbs were these "high carb" you ate?
3] why eat bread with your dinner (it will spike your blood sugar)
4] why increase insulin before bed, risking a hypo ? Bring levels down earlier by not eating high carb foods.
5] importantly - what was your blood sugar level before eating...
if you don't know that, you cannot tell how much it has risen a couple of hours after you have eaten.
I know it all seems a horrendous challenge, but you need to be more aware of what high carb foods do to you levels..and avoid them.

Good evening my learnerd friend. (1) The fish was fresh fish cooked in oil and not battered.
(2) The high carbs were Posho (Cornflour); Rice, Matoke (cooked vegetable banana), and Millet.
(3) The bread WAS my evening meal.
(4) No Hypo last night and only got up once in the night. (Normally 2 or 3 times).
(5) At 6 pm it was 9.2 which was before eating & Insulin.
(6) In Uganda I don't have much choice over what I eat. Staple is Matoke, Posho, Rice, Potatoes, Bread. In the "bush" things like Beef, Bacon, Ham, Lamb, and Pork are not readily available. I even have to drive 25km to buy Bread.
(7) All of this food is fresh and NOT processed - so my blood sugar tends to be lower than in the UK where I eat a mixture of carbs & protein.
(8) Tonight I had fried egg, tomatoes, and cabbage, all rolled up in a Chapati (I had about 5) - we call this "Rolex" ( In Uganda we don't wear Rolex - we EAT them.)

Thank you for your concern.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
HAVE A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE with joy and peace for the new year 2017.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Good evening my learnerd friend. (1) The fish was fresh fish cooked in oil and not battered.
(2) The high carbs were Posho (Cornflour); Rice, Matoke (cooked vegetable banana), and Millet.
(3) The bread WAS my evening meal.
(4) No Hypo last night and only got up once in the night. (Normally 2 or 3 times).
(5) At 6 pm it was 9.2 which was before eating & Insulin.
(6) In Uganda I don't have much choice over what I eat. Staple is Matoke, Posho, Rice, Potatoes, Bread. In the "bush" things like Beef, Bacon, Ham, Lamb, and Pork are not readily available. I even have to drive 25km to buy Bread.
(7) All of this food is fresh and NOT processed - so my blood sugar tends to be lower than in the UK where I eat a mixture of carbs & protein.
(8) Tonight I had fried egg, tomatoes, and cabbage, all rolled up in a Chapati (I had about 5) - we call this "Rolex" ( In Uganda we don't wear Rolex - we EAT them.)

Thank you for your concern.

Who would have thought there could be so many carbs in a Rolex?!!! Sounds difficult to eat the things you need to without a real ordeal. Good luck.

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day yesterday. We did here in Uganda. My wife and I decided to spend our last Christmas in Uganda with the people we have come to love and work with these past 15 years.

The children of the Sunday School arranged a Nativity play which they practiced themselves without any teachers having an input. They made their own costumes and wrote their own lines from the Bible. Some parts were very innovative but not contradictive to the Scriptural text. The sermon was thoughtful and inspiring linking the Advent of Christ with crucifixion on Calvary.

Afterwards all the children (about 100) received a soft cuddly toy and the whole congregation (about 170) received a bottle of cold soda (outside temperature was about 80 degrees f). Many people stayed behind to enjoy lunch with us which consisted of chicken, beef, rice, roast potatoes, cabbage, and matoke (a vegetable banana), plenty of saturated fats mixed with traditional FRESH carbs.

The whole day (including lunch and the toys) was paid for by the Free Presbyterian Church in Northern Ireland.

In the evening my wife and I were still not hungry so at 9 pm we had a boiled egg and a tomato sandwich. I checked my blood sugar beforehand and it was 13.9 OH DEAR.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Rice..potatoes...root vegetables... sandwich OH DEAR. Hope 2017 is your year.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Rice..potatoes...root vegetables... sandwich OH DEAR. Hope 2017 is your year.

Yes, as you say, it's sometimes easy to forget just how well off we are here, with a Tesco's always just down the road, and the money always in our pocket to be able to pick and choose our preferences.
This is indeed the season to remember those who aren't able to make those choices

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy New Year to everyone. I trust that you will know God's peace and blessing in 2017.

Reactions: Energize