CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hi all.

Is it part and parcel of diabetes to have bad weeks?

I find that my BG is generally good for a couple of weeks then I'll have a week of bad bloods. My diet isn't really different on these weeks. It's all very weird.

For example, my BGL is usually between 5-7mmol first thing in the morning. This week they have been 7-9mmol. Tonight, I ate one of my dad's curries which usually 6-7 units covers (although I can be occasionally high). I thought that due to generally high bloods I'd up my novorapid dose a significant amount to 12 units. Yet my bloods were still 12.2 after!
I was really sleepy and lethargic yesterday and my readings were all over the place (9 then 12 then 15 then 9 then 8 in the space of an hour).

But then next week they'll probably be more settled.

Does anyone else get this?

I'm getting really down about it as I'm trying to aim for a hba1c of 6.5% or lower to get pregnant.

TIA

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Of course it's normal. Anything and everything can affect your blood sugar levels. Especially stress! Whether it's moving house, work, relationships etc. Also when you're ill your bloods will be higher. Don't be too hard on yourself. The slightest thing sends my bs's high! If I cry at a film they go up haha.

Reactions: CarlyB

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that my BG is generally good for a couple of weeks then I'll have a week of bad bloods. My diet isn't really different on these weeks. It's all very weird.

Do the tricky weeks harmonise with a particular phase of your menstrual cycle (ovulation, premenstual, coming on)? Your hormones impact on insulin sensitivity so that could be a factor.

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do the tricky weeks harmonise with a particular phase of your menstrual cycle (ovulation, premenstual, coming on)? Your hormones impact on insulin sensitivity so that could be a factor.

I hadn't thought of that but it might do actually. I'll make a note on my calendar and see if there is a pattern. Thank you

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Of course it's normal. Anything and everything can affect your blood sugar levels. Especially stress! Whether it's moving house, work, relationships etc. Also when you're ill your bloods will be higher. Don't be too hard on yourself. The slightest thing sends my bs's high! If I cry at a film they go up haha.

Thanks that's really reassuring. I appreciate it.

Esther444

I would second the possibility of a premenstual issue, I am fairly sure that a week or so before my period I am more resistant to insulin so find my self correcting highs continually, then it drops me like I stone as soon as I get my period and I am considerably more sensitive to my insulin.

No idea if there's any science behind this??

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Is it part and parcel of diabetes to have bad weeks?

For example, my BGL is usually between 5-7mmol first thing in the morning. This week they have been 7-9mmol. Tonight, I ate one of my dad's curries which usually 6-7 units covers (although I can be occasionally high). I thought that due to generally high bloods I'd up my novorapid dose a significant amount to 12 units. Yet my bloods were still 12.2 after!
I was really sleepy and lethargic yesterday and my readings were all over the place (9 then 12 then 15 then 9 then 8 in the space of an hour).

But then next week they'll probably be more settled.

Does anyone else get this?

I'm getting really down about it as I'm trying to aim for a hba1c of 6.5% or lower to get pregnant.

TIA

I think it can be due to hormonal changes and also maybe due to periods of stress ...I even thought of the old bio-rythms theory but I really do not believe in that... but there is a lot going on in our bodies

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with @catapillar about the menstrual cycle, all hormones affect BG control so based on the fact it's one week would indicate it's in line with this cycle. I suffer greatly with this to the point I have to diarise for this week and increase my basal to counter the insulin resistance around this one week, as if we don't have enough to deal with already !

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agree with @catapillar about the menstrual cycle, all hormones affect BG control so based on the fact it's one week would indicate it's in line with this cycle. I suffer greatly with this to the point I have to diarise for this week and increase my basal to counter the insulin resistance around this one week, as if we don't have enough to deal with already !

Wow really? Ok I'll monitor it for a couple of months and see if a pattern comes up

Reactions: Juicyj