Baffled

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fell of the wagon for a while self denial that I was a Typ 2 on I insulin. This morning before breakfast my reading was 4.6. Porridge for breakfast then went for a walk. Stopped for lunch cup of tea and cheese and ham on toast, 2 small pieces of brown bread. Took 5 units of insulin and started walking again I ended up doing 12,800 steps which equals just over 5 miles. Just took a reading again and it was 12.8 how can that be with walking all those steps. Totally baffled.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fell of the wagon for a while self denial that I was a Typ 2 on I insulin. This morning before breakfast my reading was 4.6. Porridge for breakfast then went for a walk. Stopped for lunch cup of tea and cheese and ham on toast, 2 small pieces of brown bread. Took 5 units of insulin and started walking again I ended up doing 12,800 steps which equals just over 5 miles. Just took a reading again and it was 12.8 how can that be with walking all those steps. Totally baffled.

I'm guessing it's the amount of carbs you consumed and the insulin you injected was not enough or not getting through. If I was to eat porridge, followed by toast followed by more bread then I would need a lot of insulin for it as a type 1 regardless of how far I ran (and I run every day). I know you have insulin to hand and forgive me for stereotyping here, but if you are a type 2 it may be that you are also insulin resistant meaning your 5 units is doing very little. As for the walk, well generally speaking it does help to lower levels but only up to a certain point. Also, sometimes levels go up after exercise but usually when it's vigorous or for a prolonged period of time. I am having to guess in your circumstances but that would be my theory. How are your levels ordinarily after your meals?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
What was your blood sugar 4 to 5 hours after taking the insulin? If it has come back down to about 5 then your dose was correct. Porridge and toast spike my blood sugars high. Injected insulin does not match the food you eat and follows a fixed curve which is why you spike.

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your blood sugar 4 to 5 hours after taking the insulin? If it has come back down to about 5 then your dose was correct. Porridge and toast spike my blood sugars high. Injected insulin does not match the food you eat and follows a fixed curve which is why you spike.
Have just done my sugar levels again before tea 8pm. Reading 6.9 obviously not enough insulin at dinner time. I forgot to mention had a banana after dinner as well. For tea I have had 3 scramble eggs 2 natural slims multi grain pops, which are 3.6 carbs per large cracker and 1 small apple. I have taken 3 units of insulin. Getting a grip on carb counting is tricky. I have the carb and calorie counter book but forget to take it with me when I go out. Some times I just guess which is not good. It is so easy to be complacent it is like playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Lorna Tinker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing it's the amount of carbs you consumed and the insulin you injected was not enough or not getting through. If I was to eat porridge, followed by toast followed by more bread then I would need a lot of insulin for it as a type 1 regardless of how far I ran (and I run every day). I know you have insulin to hand and forgive me for stereotyping here, but if you are a type 2 it may be that you are also insulin resistant meaning your 5 units is doing very little. As for the walk, well generally speaking it does help to lower levels but only up to a certain point. Also, sometimes levels go up after exercise but usually when it's vigorous or for a prolonged period of time. I am having to guess in your circumstances but that would be my theory. How are your levels ordinarily after your meals?
I haven't been checking my blood sugars after eating just in morning and evening. They have not been good as I said fell off the wagon good style. I am trying to get back on the wagon with my blood sugars doing all the carb counting and trying to eat the right foods. Starting to exercise more and loose weight. When we first got locked down with covid I managed to get my sugars really low by exercise and diet. In October last year I got covid from the hospital after having a camera down my stomach. My husband and I ended up really poorly and I am suffering with long covid. I was quite depressed for a while. Trying to get help was a joke, the doctors and diabetic nurses where not seeing any patients. I am just glad now things are a bit better.

finzi1966

I haven't been checking my blood sugars after eating just in morning and evening. They have not been good as I said fell off the wagon good style. I am trying to get back on the wagon with my blood sugars doing all the carb counting and trying to eat the right foods. Starting to exercise more and loose weight. When we first got locked down with covid I managed to get my sugars really low by exercise and diet. In October last year I got covid from the hospital after having a camera down my stomach. My husband and I ended up really poorly and I am suffering with long covid. I was quite depressed for a while. Trying to get help was a joke, the doctors and diabetic nurses where not seeing any patients. I am just glad now things are a bit better.

Hi Lorna! Sorry to hear how rough things have been - good to hear you’re on the up now!

I think you’re eating some of the wrong things. Porridge for me is horrendous, I wouldn’t touch it and haven’t done for 10 years even though I love it. Similarly bananas- really any fruit has to be eaten with extreme caution but bananas are one of the worst. 3 or 4 raspberries or a strawberry would be better. And toast is really not good either. The trouble is that these are all things we have been told are “good” for us, and for non-diabetics they probably are. But for type 2 diabetics they need to be treated with extreme caution or eliminated altogether