Baked Beans!

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
Good for your heart, apparently.

I am a T1, pumping and DAFNE graduate.
Was advised by DAFNE and pump education sessions not to bolus for beans as they count towards 'veg'. However when I don't bolus for them- my levels go high.

So, I tried bolusing the amount listed in the Nutritional Info, and I got a hypo.
Boo.

Does anyone have any magic tricks that work for this? I just can't seem to get it right!

Thanks,

Clare Bear

pianoman

I'm not Type 1 so you might be better waiting till the next one comes along but I wonder about the sauce that the beans are in... assuming you mean a tin of beans with about 57 varieties or similar? I find the sauce quite sweet... so while you may be OK to not bolus for the fibre in the beans themselves, you might try a bolus based on the "of which sugars" value listed on the label.

I long since found out that is is not an exact science -- more like an art-form -- so trial and error seem to be the order of the day. Good luck.

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
Amazing! I'd never thought to bolus for the 'sugar only' value. Too late I already bolused but will try it next time. I can't see how it could fail.
Thank you so much!

Clare Bear

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try rinsing the sauce off the beans first and see if it makes a difference.