1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Banning snacking on public transport....

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mariposa84, Oct 10, 2019.

1. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yey! Does that mean I'm suddenly diabetes free then! (DX 1997) And I could then buy shares in early Microsoft and Apple and become a millionaire ?!?! :hilarious::hilarious:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Eating on public transport or in the streets seems to be a modern phenomenon. When I was at school it was strictly forbidden whilst wearing school uniform. I was once given a detention for eating sweets standing at a bus stop on my way home.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The BBC have done a vox pop survey of this one, and everyone asked, including a train station employee, thought it was a silly, unenforceable idea. I expect it’ll be returned to 1984 or April 1st. I was quite looking forward to having an ‘I need to eat NOW!’ meltdown.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The article, especially the headline, is just click bait for the gullible.

As already noted, "public transport" hasn't been clearly defined.
    It does, of course, include air travel, sleeper trains, cross Chanel ferries and many other long journeys where the passengers need to eat.
    Any journey over, say, three hours is likely to require food for the average traveller.

There is also no explanation about how preventing adults from eating on a journey will tackle childhood obesity.

IMHO the problem is the type of highly processed food easily available which encourages over eating.
    However to change this would require taking on the food manufacturers and retailers who are a massive and influential lobby group.

Governments these days like to offload responsibility to 3rd parties so they don't have to do anything themselves.
    Childhood obesity?
    Make the drivers on busses a new police force, and if it doesn't work it is their fault.
    I wonder how they are going to enforce this on the newer trains where there is only a driver, no guard?
    Zero hours contract food police?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mariposa84

mariposa84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good to know...I read some rather dismissive comments about why on earth people might need to eat for a medical condition (!!!)
    Find it bad enough getting side eye from people on the tube when I scan libre or when pump alarms so fingers crossed we won't be expected to hold up a card, wear a light or sport a fetching tattoo on our foreheads anytime soon!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. trishmacgregor

trishmacgregor Type 1 · Member

Hi. People who try to implement these ridiculous rules haven’t got a clue. I’m also fed up with people banding both types of diabetics into the same bracket. Type 1 is autoimmune and can’t be cured by diet and reduced sugars etc. Really annoying

7. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This idea was in the final report of chief medical officer Dame Sally Davies. My guess is that it was her last chance to be on TV before retiring.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

And here she is.. Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 19.06.10.png
    So "junk" foods are high in fat.. sounds like a traffic light supporter and we all know how stupid that system is...

9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Indeed, but never underestimate the stupidity of humans. I don't think any of us think this about to happen next week, but when prominent and influential figures start spouting this sort of ridiculous claptrap it's time to start being afraid. Very afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

And don't forget that fat, sugar & salt are the three macronutrients :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jim Lahey

And on the other side of the coin, being labelled fat and lazy because you're type 2 isn't much fun either. Especially when you're not fat. Or lazy :D

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

There is more than just "two" types of diabetes.. & indeed a variety of combinations regarding the BG management too...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Colin Crowhurst

Colin Crowhurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

First perhaps they should ban junk food advertising on public transport and lower the demand! In terms of getting dirty looks etc, why can't people simply ask, educating more people can only help. And I would be happy to man one of the sniper towers.......

• Like Like x 1
  14. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whilst I appreciate the point you’re making about your own frustrations - type 2 isn’t “cured” by diet either. It’s managed by it, for some.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My concern would be that they start issuing fines or conductors, driver etc are given the power to force you off the bus, train etc. Just great in the middle of a hypo !!!

16. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I have seen people put off of the tilt train by the train staff between Bundy and Brisbane, because they did not have the required student id to match their concessional train fare price.

It's not if they are going to be put off in the middle of Woop Woop they were outed at Gympie railway station.

17. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

TFL did try that and because the legal definition of junk food as high in fat, sugar and or salt it resulted in stawberries and cream being banned which was not what the middle class bureaucracy had in mind...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is that an improvement in your view:p

19. WackyJacky64

WackyJacky64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It won't help childhood obesity , because the second a child gets off the train they can just go in a shop and buy stuff.
    I don't like where this is going , our right to eat what we want is our right not anyone else's .
    They stopped people smoking in pubs but they just go outside and smoke , and they even have shelters for the smokers, so it didn't stop them .

It's a stupid idea and takes away our human rights .

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jim Lahey

Not to mention that "we" keep telling people not to consume fat or meat, thus leaving only carbohydrate, which is fattening. The entire world of nutritional guidelines and associated public policy is a comedy at this stage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook