1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Banning snacking on public transport....

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mariposa84, Oct 10, 2019.

1. mariposa84

mariposa84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Been reading about this in the news today and just wondered what other people's thoughts were about this...

I've read a couple of comments saying that those with a medical condition should carry a form of ID on them to prove they need to eat something...

I don't particularly like eating anything on public transport but when needs must I will and I always carry something with me to be on the safe side.

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don’t actually see how the ban is enforceable.
    But they said medical conditions would be exempt.

3. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello I just read it on BBC news, apparently it is to tackle childhood obesity. I don’t agree with it because sometimes it is the only time to sit comfortably to snack on something. It’ll be like school all over again to carry a medical ID to prove you need to eat and drink. Surely there are other ways to tackle obesity.

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Who is going to police this policy, especially on busses?

Education before legislation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

My far too active imagination pictured people having diabetes being given "Diabetes Cards" which can be flashed if any one questions snacking.
    Then there will be a market for fake Diabetes Cards amongst kids who fancy a chocolate bar.
    Or people carrying syringes around with them as "proof" they have diabetes.
    Then someone who really does have diabetes will be chucked off the bus mid-hypo, especially if they appear to be acting drunk.

But, imagination aside, I can't see it working - how would they enforce it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I say we just ban food altogether.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Jim Lahey

Sniper towers?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. mariposa84

I don't see how they would enforce it either. I'm an early years teacher and agree there's a huge problem with childhood obesity (the amount of children who get greeted at the end of every day with a family-size pack of sweets/chocolate/crisps is heartbreaking to see) but don't see how this particular idea will work. We spend a lot of time teaching children about healthy lifestyles but it is often ignored by some parents sadly, who argue that they can only afford junk food because it's cheaper.
    If it were to be adopted, I would absolutely hate having to try justifying my eating sweets or similar when low.

9. mariposa84

I laughed when reading your post at first but then thought about how horrid that would be if it were to happen...

10. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

That would only work if medical exemptions are easily identified from the towers.
    Would people with diabetes treated by BG lowering medication be expected to wear a flashing light on their head?

Or perhaps some technology can be fitted to the seats - medical exemptions would carry a special automatic radio deactivation device in their pockets (or attached to their insulin pens).
    If the sensor in the seat detects food and there is no deactivation device in the vicinity, the occupant of the seat receives an electric shock.
    A similar device can be placed in hand rails to stop people snacking whilst standing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To me it seems like a stupid idea, it is a good idea to have a doctors note for airports, but I should not need one when travelling on the local bus/train!
    And as I think I read on one the BBC's pages, it'll just mean even less people want to use public transport and it'll be even more inconvenient than it already is for many.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You would of course all get one of those bg tattoos on your foreheads that changes color when your bg levels change. Obviously having diabetes isn't enough to be allowed to eat as long as you're not low. The snipers would be instructed not to shoot eaters with the right color tattoo.
    Hats off when hypo.

I would have given a more serious reaction but I find it impossible when politics come up with such ridiculous ideas.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    #12 Antje77, Oct 10, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  13. Jim Lahey

Barcodes tattooed on your foreheads so that the enforcement drones can verify your credentials? Hahaha what a dystopian nightmare we are slowly trundling toward. Rather than reverse course on the disastrous dietary advice that we continue to dole out, how about we instead just ban food altogether? It's the only way to be sure!

I'd love to laugh it all off as the views of one isolated nut job, but the five universal laws of human stupidity almost guarantee it'll happen sooner or later. I notice also that the BBC seems to be extolling the virtues of the current "sugar tax" on beverages, when just a few weeks ago they published data indicating that overall consumption has risen since it came into force :banghead:

14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm thinking that the sniper towers would need to be automated, and using facial recognition software.
    Therefore they would be able to identify (and ignore) registered diabetics (especially those with the right colour tattoos).

Pity the poor undiagnosed, and those with lookalike doppelgangers...

Seriously, though. Hard to ban snacks on 'public transport' that makes money out of the snacks - such as the rail franchises with their dining cars and refreshment trolleys. Especially when the staff get a cut from the sales.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...lman-offers-escapism-and-luxury-a6840901.html

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hmmmm, "to tackle childhood obesety."

It's basically a policy to keep the transport clean from wrappers, crumbs & cans
    On the whole, no one likes to board a bendy bus & see a discarded double decker on the seat.
    Cutting the cost on the frequency of cleaning most bus drivers have had this unwritten agenda for years?
    Then there is the waste managment & subsiquent disposal costs of these transport businesses.

It's just a thinly disguised "keep busses tidy" campaign.

Plain & simple. Nobody likes a grubby bus. ;)

16. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Here's a link :
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49975720

I can't see how it will be enforced, named and shamed, snackers taken away to 'The Village' to be interrogated by No 1 ?:nailbiting: :hilarious: What on earth will they come up with next :rolleyes: :wideyed:

17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

As passengers, we can all do our "bit" with this cut out & keep Blakey mask...

image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I'm the same, I don't eat on public transport either, unless I was on quite a long journey and lunch or tea was needed.

Just bizarre :rolleyes:

19. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did I sleep through winter and it's now April 1st????? :smug:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jim Lahey

Worse. You woke up in 1984. Unlucky.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook